Random art we all should see

Capitan Cronch

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love art, but not all art.

I was at the Whitney museam this weekend in NY, and there is some AMAZING shit by new artists. I love that museam.

Our visit was cut short for a video screening in the same museam, and it was the dumbest, most pretentious artsy-fartsy bullshit I have EVER seen. By the end of the 4th artist I groaned "What the fuck....." to the laughter of anyone that heard.

Don't be afraid of art, if you don't like it it is either becuase

A. You don't understand it (Upon further inspection you may appreciate it)

B. You don't understand it (Like the videos I mentioned, there was nothing to understand, it was boring pretentious bullshit that only retarded art scene people find any value in)

C. It's ugly

I'll try to post some sick current artists in a bit.

Tim Hawkinson

The shit I saw at Whitney by Tim Hawkinson blew my fucking mind...

fractl_hawkinsn_untitld_lg.jpg

image36.jpg

All the wires were put onto a tv that would randomly flash static, the sensors would read the static and move the face with loud cracks and pops.

artwork_images_423775681_164139t_Tim-Hawkinson.jpg

artwork_images_423775681_160737_Tim-Hawkinson.jpg

This school chair was fitted with a motor and rough gears created by hand which would recreate his signiture with a pen and leave the autographs in a pile on the floor.

t-hawkinson5.jpg

t-hawkinson4.jpg

Bird crated with fingernails and superglue.

t-hawkinson1.jpg

Much of his work is powered by electricity, instead of hiding the wires various shapes were made with long extension cords.

t-hawkinson2.jpg

This huge instalation was created with polyurethane foam, sonotubes, solenoids, found computer program, and mechanical components. THe program would send pulses through the people which would knock various body parts against the tree creating a strange, randomly generated pulse throughout the space.

t-hawkinson3-tim-h(1).jpg

Same deal, but with air. The uberorgan.

moca10.jpg

image37.jpg

Same idea, but with drops of water

h2.jpeg

The egg is also finely ground fingernails.

h4.jpeg

Perhaps the most lighthearted work in the exhibition is AERIAL MOBILE, in which one might 'navigate the airwaves'. TV antennas do double duty as the 'masts' of a fully rigged 'schooner'. The whimsy of it brings to mind the fresh view of things best glimpsed in child's play. Here, though, marrying antenna and mast has led to many hours of exacting work. It is that kind of dedication to the time-bound act of making that truly distinguishes the exhibition. Leaving the Self unmentioned, AERIAL MOBILE is allowed to function as a simple, concise gesture.

h5.jpeg

This is a cleverly conceived rendering of a plate of tempered glass that has been shattered by impact with a blunt object. Each crack has been meticulously replicated using strips of mirrored plastic suspended behind a surface of clear polyester. The shadows on the wall and the reflections on the mirrored strips complete the illusion. At the very least it fools the eye, and finding meaning in it seems beside the point.

h7.jpeg

The artist's everyday work socks make up the wax that drips from this man-sized candle, marking the passage of time and work. Why a candle? Think of special occasions, the passage of time, the light of the spirit. For the artist, PILGRIM is a record of pieces that he has worked on as 'recorded' by the socks he wore while working.

Close ups of work I posted above.

hawkinson_5.jpg

hawkinson_6.jpg

Magdalen

hawkinson_1.jpg

hawkinson_4.jpg

hawkinson_2.jpg

hawkinson_3.jpg

Allthough the above looks like a heavy torn truck tire. It's actually paper, wire, string, and foam rubber.

za302.jpg

He created a mold of his body and filled it with as much lead as he weighed. It only came up his legs.

I'm not sure if this is the place or not, but it says share.

Here is my some of my most recent portfolio.

405058757_l.jpg

B & W Photography - Rift

613289761_l.jpg

B & W Photography - Giest

613317035_l.jpg

B & W Photography - Elephant

613324415_l.jpg

B & W Photography - These Minutes Feel Like Days

613335693_l.jpg

B & W Photography - Burn Unit

613311237_l.jpg

Acid Print - Fear

I have more if anyone is intersted.

Hope you enjoy.

-K

::edit for spacing issues::

I love art, but not all art.

I was at the Whitney museam this weekend in NY, and there is some AMAZING shit by new artists. I love that museam.

Our visit was cut short for a video screening in the same museam, and it was the dumbest, most pretentious artsy-fartsy bullshit I have EVER seen. By the end of the 4th artist I groaned "What the fuck....." to the laughter of anyone that heard.

Don't be afraid of art, if you don't like it it is either becuase

A. You don't understand it (Upon further inspection you may appreciate it)

B. You don't understand it (Like the videos I mentioned, there was nothing to understand, it was boring pretentious bullshit that only retarded art scene people find any value in)

C. It's ugly

I'll try to post some sick current artists in a bit.

are these 3 ideas on why people may not like art, your own ideas? i think theyre written quite well and expressive of why the people here would not like art.

im pretty iffy on the whitney. i read they were having this exhibit and generally im just not into most of what they show there. i guess i would fall into a, b, and c heh. mostly though, it just doesnt illicit any sort of response from me. thats how i look at art. most times i know why i like it sometimes theres a small part of it i like. sometimes i dont like the content/subject but dig the style and vice versa.

you still in ny? theres a pretty funny video installation of kids from instanbul doing karaoke renditions of smiths that is showing at a small gallery, a basquiat gallery show, and a daniel johnston works on paper gallery show 4 blocks from the basquiat show.

So we can self promote right?

Here's a commissioned portrait done for my uncle sometime last year.

All done with graphite pencil on cotton paper.

I didn't have the chance to use a proffesional scanner, so quite a bit of the detail was lost.

Chris.jpg

Check the Babble, in the Untitled section, like everyone else mentioned.

And yes, Tim Hawkinson is crazy/fun/weird.

are these 3 ideas on why people may not like art, your own ideas? i think theyre written quite well and expressive of why the people here would not like art.

im pretty iffy on the whitney. i read they were having this exhibit and generally im just not into most of what they show there. i guess i would fall into a, b, and c heh. mostly though, it just doesnt illicit any sort of response from me. thats how i look at art. most times i know why i like it sometimes theres a small part of it i like. sometimes i dont like the content/subject but dig the style and vice versa.

you still in ny? theres a pretty funny video installation of kids from instanbul doing karaoke renditions of smiths that is showing at a small gallery, a basquiat gallery show, and a daniel johnston works on paper gallery show 4 blocks from the basquiat show.

Naw, but I'm going back soon.

New york is fun, but it's fucking dirty and there are mass scumbags.

I was in a fight with this bitch within 5 minutes of getting into China Town via the Fung Wah.

Stupid fucking yuppie sluts.

I like the Whitney because it's the only museam I've been to outside of Boston.

It's refreshing to see something new, I'm used to museams like the MFA where it's mostly old old old shit. I'm not saying the art isn't good at the MFA, I'm just saying I'm not interested.

i love how y'all hate on neckface so much but will put him in a legitmate art thread where there are works of picasso and ramble on more about how you hate nasty neck and not say anything about picasso.

people who know nothing about art history are funny to me.

at least if you complain about why you dislike something, have a better reason than ghetto slang like "that's wack." and show pics of stuff youve never seen in real life.

it's like howard stern radio, so many people hate him but tune in to what he has to say. y'all seen everything dude does. and he smashessss.

The fact that neckface writes graffiti without rules made him famous and that obviously pisses some people off...

whatever, I still don't think it's my business to complain about graffiti. That should be left to old ladies and the law enforcement.

Besides, who cares what's art or wtf? No one here has yet defined that word, so the conversation is pretty much pointless. I like most graffiti anyway and don't care if it has a cherry on top