mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmotorbikes!

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: motorbikes!

jeans dont do anything. take it from me i know a few riders who legs got fucked up.

I got a tip from a rider in ny. he says the cheaper helmets are better for street riding. The expencive helmets are made for racing and arent ment to take much more than one solid blow.

here I found the article he was talking about: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/motorcycle_helmet_guide/

or it could be this one:

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

yeh i guess i must have missunderstood him. the second article the right one.

Conventional helmet-biz wisdom says fiberglass construction is somehow better at absorbing energy than plastic—something about the energy of the crash being used up in delaminating the shell. And that a stiffer shell lets a designer use softer foam inside—which might absorb energy better.

Our results showed the exact opposite—that plastic-shelled helmets actually performed better than fiberglass. In our big 3-meter hit—the high-energy kind of bash one might expect would show the supposed weaknesses of a plastic shell—the plastic helmets transferred an average of 20 fewer Gs compared with their fiberglass brothers, which were presumably designed by the same engineers to meet the same standards, and built in the same factories by the same people.

Why is this? We're guessing—but it's a really good guess: The EPS liner inside the shell is better at absorbing energy than the shell. The polycarbonate shells flex rather than crush and delaminate, and this flexing, far from being a problem, actually lets the EPS do more of its job of energy absorption while transferring less energy to the head.

Edit:

The Hardest Hits

So the softest DOT helmets came through our tests with protection to spare. But doubt lingered, in spite of everything we had seen: How would they do in a monster, wicked-big impact?

So we decided to kill them. We ran the Z1Rs up the test rig one last time. Not just to the 10-foot, 150-joule Snell test height, but all the way to the top of the rig: 3.9 meters, or 13 feet. This hit would be at 8.5 meters per second, an energy of 185 joules. That's higher and harder than any existing helmet standard impact. And, not coincidentally, the same height and energy called out in the COST 327 proposed standard, the one that may replace the current ECE 22-05 specification. We did one hit on the pavement and one on the curb anvil—the same hits called out in the COST proposal. We did them on the back of the helmets, in the center, because that was the only place we hadn't hit them before.

So this last test is not directly comparable to the others. But it showed, in no uncertain terms, just how tough—and how protective—an inexpensive helmet can be.

The peak Gs for the monster hits were 208 for the curb impact and 209 for the flat-pavement impact. Just a few Gs more, that is, than many of the Snell-rated helmets transmitted in their seven-foot hits on the flat anvil. And even after these mega hits, the EPS liners were still nowhere near used up.

depends on the hit.

Some people say that if a helmet is on your bars and it slips to the ground it's useless.

Those same people say a helmet has a shelf life of 5 years. Those people are selling helmets.

obvious if you are in a crash, you'll know it's time for a new helmet.

oh... and after much soul searching I've come up with a name for my bike.....

The Black Pearl

Yes I just watched Pirates II tonight, and I think I'm a pirate (but I have for years)

but the real reason..... "the pearl is freedom"

the seat's fine for me. I dont find it uncomfortable at all, but the bike sure does buzz up around 9000rpm. No wonder they call it the hornet!

I've got some bungies under the seat and I bought some side tables from ikea today and strapped them down.

my first passenger!

Holy shit, I saw a kid wreck his bike the other day. Going around 35-40mph in a really heavy down pour that had running water a couple of inches deep flowing down the street. Bike went left, kid fell right. Hard. Rolled a few times and then slid for a good fifteen twenty feet. He was in the lane left of me and around thrity feet ahead of me. Just laid there after coming to a stop. I flipped out and parked to block the road, ran to help him and all that as well as a few other people..... still just lying there. Eventually, kid sat up, said his ass hurt, and called his pops. Not a scratch on him, all in all. I had to dip once I made sure he was alright on account of a suspended liscence and bannables in the vehicle.

Long story short, wear that fucking helmet. That is the only reason this kid didn't fuck himself up seriously.

I thought you meant another set that was posted once here. Dude had full bike regalia and ended up in a MUCH worse bloody pile by the side of the street.

yeah

that one too...

now that you mention it, i think that's the one i was referring to

however

rum's prize has already been sent

there's another in it for anyone who can find the other (but, it's not free bowling)

oh... and after much soul searching I've come up with a name for my bike.....

The Black Pearl

Yes I just watched Pirates II tonight, and I think I'm a pirate (but I have for years)

but the real reason..... "the pearl is freedom"

your a pirate alright...

a butt pirate! psssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................

sorry i couldnt resist...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am turning 21 on the 24th(I expect a birthday thread all those who care about me ((i know no one does so dont worry about it)) (((whhhhaaaahhh)))) and with gas prices so high and my whole family riding bikes I figure its about time for me to get out and on one myself. Anything I have looked at used has had to pass my father aka motorcycle mechanic master tests...nothing passes since he doesnt want me to ride. So I figure the only way I am going to get out on two wheels is to get something new...I want a triumph speed fourspeed4_2.jpg but after I sat on a 2005 honda 600rr I think that is the bike for me. Its so light weight the only thing I dont like is the seat its hard foam but I figure corbin will be coming out with something that will cure that soon enough...

600rr.jpg

I will take in any critics comments I am actually hoping for them help me make a descision.

I like the Suzuki SV but I hear people saying they are underpowered for the type of bike they are and alot of people move up after only a year of having them. Since I am financing this bike and want to have it a while I dont know if that would be a good choice

p.s. rum that turn is knawice...

have you ever heard of the dragons tail at deals gap in NC 300 and something turns in 11 miles...

I want to ride that next year with my dad it look like so much fun.

p.s. my dad when to california super bike school the guy is the safest most insane person I have ever seen on a bike riding wise. not stunt stuff non of his friends will ride with him its pretty funny

http://www.dealsgap.com/