mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmotorbikes!

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: motorbikes!

what a bummer thread this is....

R6 or bust!

dsc028665bjxp9.jpg

this photo is from last spring

Until you get off a straight away and I take you all day in the corners...whoops sorry but its the truth...get off the high way and do some real ridin!

nice bike some1...what 1000 you look'n into..?

thats a mean look'n bike _splint2...i don't know

if i'm feeling that front end....

i fucking laid my bike down the other day and

broke my clutch lever..so i replaced it and it still

wont start...it could be the electric start...perhaps a fuse..

any suggestions ... i'm super broke right now..hope it's not serious...

I dont know what I am looking to get into right now... I am doing research...

Price wise:

Honda Super Hawk

HON2004090546192_pv.jpg

But then again if I am gonna be riding the same bike for the next 6 years...

318_img_0605.jpg

This bike is forsale the same spot where I bought the SV its got the higher windscreen already which I want on my next bike for touring... its $6k I figure who needs a new car...

Teh new zecks

Soon to be limited production I believe anyways...Desmosedeci RR

desmosediciRR-med.jpg

GREAT WRITE UP ON KNEE DRAGGING FROM SOME R1 FORUM

INTRODUCTION

First off, I do not claim to be an expert rider. I've never been to a track (but I yearn to), and I do not race other bikers. I do however, have a love for carving up corners on my R1 - to me, it's better than sex. Well, ok, maybe not THAT good, but you get the idea.

I've learned a lot by following what everyone here has posted about dragging knee, so now it's my turn to give back a little. The intended reader that I'm targeting are those that have not yet "touched down".

Most of this is going to be rehashed information for the experienced rider, but maybe some of it contains something that you haven't thought of before. Either way, I hope it helps you in your quest for scraped-up pucks.

Lastly, I consider this a "work in progress" and will gladly accept any suggestions or additions, including photos which will help make this document more clear.

DSC_0516.jpg

Knee Dragging 101

SECTION I - PREPARATION

1. Wear Your Gear, Be Safe, and Practice, Practice, Practice

No other explanation necessary. Don't push your limits - ease into them. Learn at your own pace. You're into sportbiking for the long-term, right? Don't make it a short-term stint (ie, wrecking). I've been in 2 motorcycle accidents, both of which I believe could have been avoided if I had either had more experience or better judgement at that time. Luckily, I've survived and learned from it.

If you're not a "gear wearing" kind of person, then in my opinion, you have no business being a "knee dragging" kind of person. Case in point. Besides, wtf you gonna do after you drag knee in your jeans and rip a hole through them and/or your kneecap?

Being safe means a LOT of things - knowing your surroundings, knowing the curve of the road, knowing your limits, etc. It's a combination of situational awareness that sums up to one statement: "use some common sense". You're doing something dangerous just by being on two wheels. Anything you can do to minimize the additional danger involved with taking corners fast is a good thing. This includes going to a track and keeping it off the street, which I highly recommend if you have the ability to do that. However, if this is not possible or very impractical, I urge you to make damn sure you do not do anything that will endanger anyone else sharing the road with you.

I recommend riding with one or more people as long as they are aware of the safety issues and are not idiots. If someone does go down, there will be someone else to assist or find you if need be. If you do ride with others, don't forget the golden rule: Don't allow yourself to struggle to keep up with the faster rider. If you're slower, just be slow. A respectable rider in the lead will either slow down or wait for you down the road. Trying to keep up will get you into SERIOUS trouble.

2. Confidence / State of Mind

If it feels unsafe for you, it is. If you're just not "feeling it" at any point, stop pushing it. Go cruise, or go home. That simple.

Get the BEST tires you can or can not afford. Pilots, Qualifiers, or Diablos, or at least do some research here first. This is not a "What's the best tire" thread, but suffice it to say, you don't want to be slipping and sliding around when you are still learning the basics. Having confidence in your bike and your abilities means you won't freak out when something unexpected happens, and I guarantee you, it will happen eventually.

3. Find a good practice corner.

What to look for:

constant radius

good smooth road surface

good visibility throughout the entire corner

not too tight, not too sweeping

the longer the curve the better (more time in the corner)

uphill is usually easier than downhill

Also, note what is beyond the shoulder of the road in case you lowside. Flat gravel / grass = good. Anything else = Bad. Anything embedded into the ground = very, very bad.

Now, if you have the right equipment, the right corner, and you're feeling good, it's time to practice...

DSC_0570.jpg

SECTION II - PRACTICE

1. Practice, Then Pracice Some More

Ride through the corner slowly at first REGARDLESS of how well you know the corner - this applies to EVERYONE of EVERY ability. You never know what might have mysteriously appeared on the roadway since the last time you were there!

Before you hit the road, make sure to read the next few sections on body positioning, focus, Counter Steering etc.

When practicing your cornering, don't assume you'll be dragging knee at the end of the day just because you "have figured it out now" from something you've read or heard. Take it slow - good practice is methodical and time-consuming. It took me months before I ever touched down for the first time. After that, it was weeks before I did it again.

Don't be alarmed when you scrape your knee the first time either - it WILL surprise you as it does everyone. Enjoy the rush and don't forget that you're still in practice mode when you attempt it the next time.

2. Throttle / Speed Control - Be Smoooooooooth...

I think one of the biggest mistakes new riders make is that they lack good throttle / speed control. When taking a corner, you do NOT want to suddenly slam on the brakes, nor do you want to hamfist the throttle. Let me tell you a little secret that will help you remember...

GET YOUR SHIT DONE BEFORE YOU GET TO THE CURVE!!!

If you're going too fast before you hit the curve, BRAKE HARD and smooth it out before you start countersteering. Trust me, you do not want to attempt to slow yourself down while leaned over. You're alreay probably freaking out by this point, and will probably **** it up since you're not thinking straight. When I'm riding the twisties, I rarely use my brakes at all - I try to maintain my speed at a constant for each corner. This has helped me focus on other aspects of knee-dragging since I don't have to think about slowing down suddenly while leaned over.

3. Entry Speed

Don't be afraid of that corner! Obviously, you don't want to go into any corner too hot, but you'll never get your knee down if you ride like grandma on every curve. Get used to the feeling of your bike leaned over past the point where you think it's safe. The only thing that helps you overcome this fear is practice, so just keep at it. You'll get there eventually. It took me years to realize that when I thought I was really pushing my bike over, I still had TONS of angle left to lean.

DSC_0447.jpg

It's not just entry speed, but knowing what CONSTANT speed is good for the curve. You just don't want to make corrections either way while your leaning it.

If you are afraid you're going too fast to make a corner, first RELAX, and don't freak out. Trust your tires, trust that you will not lowside, and just take the corner. I learned this fact early on, the hard way, so trust me that I know about it. You'd be amazed at how far you can push your bike through a curve and it will do just fine. You may be scared shitless afterwards, so learn from your mistake and don't let it happen again.

4. Focus

Make sure you keep your eyes focused on the road FAR ahead - not closer. Look as far through the curve as you can. This allows you to know what's coming up (especially cars / other bikers / obstructions, etc.) and helps to smooth out your cornering.

Take a look at this guy's eyes to see what I'm talking about. As a matter of fact, look at just about ANY of the pics taken at the Gap convention and you'll see that most everyone has their focus way beyond the front of their bike.

DSC_0550.jpg

5. Body position

This is the last part of the equation, and it's a tradeoff of course. "Hanging off" will allow you to drag knee easier, but it's going to compromise your control over your bike through the curve until you get used to this new position. At a minimum, slide over to the point where half your ass is on the seat, half is off. Keep your back hunched over, racing style, with your head looking "over" your rearview mirror. It should all feel natural, and if done correctly, is quite comfortable. Again, practice, practice, practice. Don't try to hang off like a monkey the first time you do this. You'll look silly, and may look like more of a monkey when you run your bike off the road cause you weren't ready for it.

Some people lean off more than others. I do not hang off very much which results in much greater lean angles for the same speed as others who hang off more. I've reached the point where I know that I need to get off the seat more to gain more corner speed - any faster will require a greater lean angle, and there just isn't any more left (see example next section).

So, which should you do? You can drag knee using either method, but my suggestion would be to go ahead and get used to getting more of your body off the seat. Ultimately, it's safer for the beginner and does not require faster speeds to get your knee down.

6. Body Positioning (EXAMPLE)

Here's me and Kendall (RansomKJ) on the same corner, rear shot:

lesson1-rear.jpg

These two pics are almost identical in location, camera angle, etc. with the exception being our body positioning on the bike. Notice how two different body positions result in different lean angles. A more upright "stance" (mine) gets the bike leaned over farther than if you hang off more (Kendall). Remember, it's a tradeoff as far as knee-dragging is concerned. Kendall's knee may be closer to the ground in this pic, but his body position is more "unnatural" in that you have to move around more to obtain this stance. Either way will result in knee-dragging - do whatever is most comfortable to you starting out.

Here's the same corner, same two riders, looking at the front view:

lesson1-front.jpg

Kendall = hangs off more, less bike lean, still gets the knee down

Skanky = hangs off less, more bike lean, still gets the knee down

I think this pic definitively shows that our R1's are way more capable of making the corner than we as riders are. Believe it or not, when this shot was taken, I was in no fear of lowsiding at all. The tires were sticking like glue that day. However, after reviewing the pics, I've decided to try to avoid these extreme low angles and hang off more to avoid the possibility of a slide. Again, KNOW THE ROAD before you do anything like this.

SECTION III - PRACTICE TIPS

Counter Steering

Knowing how to counter steer is essential for all bikers. If you don't know how to properly counter steer, you're not ready yet. Trust me - you gotta be able to control that corner, which may mean shifting your lane position quickly from one side to the other while you're leaned way over. A good way to learn this (and to keep a good "feel" for it) is to ride on a wide, open stretch of road (with no traffic), and simply push/pull your handlebars in one direction. Then, you'll "feel" what your bike does in reaction. For example, riding in a straight line, without doing anything else, just quickly nudge (GENTLY!!!) your left handlebar (turning your front wheel clockwise). Your front wheel will immediately curve to the right, but it will cause your bike to lean to the left, thus turning to the left. Do this in SMALL nudges for obvious reasons. The goal here is to get a feel for what the bike does when you push/pull on the grips. It also reinforces the involuntary motion of countersteering which is extremely important for those times when you will need to do it, but don't need to consciously think about it.

The Non-Dragging Ride

Here's a good confidence builder for you and your bike. On your next ride down the twisties, don't hang off at all. Just sit firmly planted in your seat and feel the curves when you go through them. Keep your knees up against your tank at all times. Of course, don't go at a fast pace when doing this if it's new to you. Again, use some common sense. So, why do this? Well, first of all, it's fun. Second, it really gives you a sense of how much your tires will really grip the road surface and how you can actually be fast through curves, even without hanging off. If you do this, and can get really low, beware that you are probably pushing the limits of your lean angle. Don't forget the reason racers lean off in the first place - to change their center of gravity so that they can keep the bike upright and on the tire tread rather than on its edge.

I have been thinking about getting a bike for a while now, my 240SX has been down for like almost 7 months now. I would mainly only be riding for about 10 minutes each way too and from work. I just dont want something that is going to stand up on me, i am a novice. Ive had some bad experiences with dirt bikes as a kid......Im thinking i should start out with something relatively small like a 250 Ninja.

man... you could make it five minutes to and from work on a bike... the traffic weaving ability is greatly increased by the small size of a motorcycle.

My talon has been down for more than a year now... it's frustrating, I was forced to buy a motorcycle, but I do not regret it. Start out with a

600cc, the 250 is only going to piss you off.

hmmmm.......600 you say? I guess I would get tired of the 250 after a while. I could learn to respect the 600cc's initially and they would hinder my growing tired. My motor is together and ready to go back in the car as of now. Ive been through so much waiting and hassle with it but its worth it in the end. Just running a mild KA-T setup. But thats not for this thread.

^^my dad got some stuff from there...

I will be buying nothing till i move back home...I havent forgotten that I owe you dont worry...

After I get outta debt and get my 2000 Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille

This will be in order for my long trips and track days...

TILG.jpg

when i was 6 i went to a BMW rally in NH with my dad. We went up mount washington on the bike. It was beautiful on ground but as we went up we went through the most dense fog I have ever seen and was pouring half way up got to the top it was beautiful again and I was soaked through my shoes socks underwear even my supposedly waterproof jacket was soaked through. Great raingear is a must have...

oh shit.....

look at the updated 2007 Honda Hornet (europe only)

MHORN2007SBA_r.jpg

2007_Intermot_Hornet_025_r.jpg

I personally think they've taken the streetfighter look a bit too far with this one.

It looks more like they ripped off the FZ6 instead of being the latest in the proud lineage of the CB750

bumpersz

I went to a motorcycle show this weekend and saw some hot stuff.

There's 3 new BMW 650s and the supermoto is so nice looking.

Plus I bumped into Charlie Boorman (long way round) outside his hotel

and chatted him up a bit. He signed a copy of his dvd that I happened to have on me.

plus I bought these:

jrocket_alter_ego_txt_pnts_bkgry.gif

^ keep your 'phat raver pants' jokes to yourself

and this sweet tank bag:

factory_200w.jpg

The HP1 or whatever it is from BMW is hot looking. I am going to the International Motorcycle Show when it comes to New York City in January.I hope they have that new ducati desmosedici or whatever it is.

I just put the bike away for winter even though I am about to whip it out tomorrow because its supposed to be 60 or something. I still havent had any real hits on my bike as for buyers so if no one buys it by June I think I'll just keep it...even though I want something bigger...

hp1.jpg

bilde.asp?id=4921

hp2_motard.jpg

not a fan of the customs unless they have history...like my grandfathers 1943 harley knucklehead that me and my father had to rescue from the barn in the back of my dads first house he ever lived in. Actually its going to be restored to stock next time i get $24k to do so...

• 2 weeks later...

This is on craigslist for $650

1973 honda cl 125

84qvpR3tMCaxM9hvjtxVwmNn9C3l.jpg

I really really really want to buy this and make it into a cafe racer...shit would be so badass...

something like this

12_Honda750Four.jpg

101_0122b.jpg

I am selling my SV still and now cant decide what to get...

It was a 2000 Aprilia or a 1995 Ducati 916 till I found out how much maintenance is and how often you have to do it. I would be paying 1000$ twice a summer just for routine shit...fuuuuuuck that I dont have that kinda cash...

I don't know what to get. My dad and his friend (bmw motorcycle mechanic) said I should get a beemer since my dad has been working on them for the last 20 years. I just dont know if I like the cylinders sticking out of the sides. Its kinda heavy when you move from side to side. I want a V-twin at least a 900cc deally I know what where to look...

What the fuck should I get?

122_0611_01_z+2007_ducati_1098+static.jpg

Ducati Announces New 2007 Superbike

Press release courtesy of Ducati North America

Ducati North America announces the international launch and North American pricing for the new 1098 Superbike.

This incredible new machine produces 160hp and 90.4lbs/ft of torque, which results in making the 1098 the most powerful twin-cylinder motorcycle in the world, with the highest torque-to-weight ratio of any sport bike. In addition, the 1098 is also the lightest open class Superbike available, weighing 381 pounds.

The priority in every step of the 1098 development has been performance first.

Every system, every detail and every component has been studied and pared down to its essence in order to increase performance to the maximum. If it didn’t make the 1098 lighter, faster or deliver quicker lap times, it wasn’t considered.

The 1098 will be available in three versions starting in February. The 1098 Biposto will carry a manufacturers suggested retail price of $14,995. The 1098 S will be priced at $19,995, while the limited edition 1098 S Tri-Colore will be $24,995. The 1098 S Tri-Colore will feature a evocative red, white and green racing livery and a Termignoni performance exhaust system, among other performance enhancements.

Prices in Canada will be $19,995 for standard version, while the 1098 S will be $24,995 and the Tri-Colore will be $29,995.

"We are very pleased to announce not only a radical new Superbike family, but also a brand new competitive pricing structure. We have worked very long and hard to make this happen, and we are excited to introduce this motorcycle to the American public at the Seattle round of the International Motorcycle Shows, which happens December 1-3," said Michael Lock, CEO of Ducati North America.

THE Ducati 999 is over freakin $16k with less horsepower, more weight. The 1098 is starting at just over $14k lighter and more horses... Friggin nuts...

haha fuck you mang! I don't want to finally get power around 11 gran knah mean...

If I do get anything in-line its gonna be that Triumph Daytona Triple 675 shit is soooo fucking sexy and the gray matches all my gear... shits just over $9k

23408_0_1_2_daytona%20675_Image%20credits%20-%20Triumph.jpg

Triumph%20Daytona%20675%2006%20%203.jpg

The styling and riding position is pretty aggressive I dont know if I can ride like that for over 2 hours...

The Honda CBR600RR's riding position isn't that bad I just don't know if that type of engine is good for the type of riding I do...