mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmotorbikes!

RumPuncher

Watched a show last week about the birth of the cafe racer... was pretty cool, but could have been longer. Explained (at least to me) why the Ace Cafe in London is so popular.

They touched a bit on this :

TRITON%20091.JPG

I had never heard of them before. Basically a Triumph mixed up with a Norton. On that show they talked to the guy who built the first one and then showed a couple that were newer and ready for the track... and they were cool.

Every once in a while they would show a new superbike and talk about how the early cafe racers were the start of the superbike concept. Now, I love the looks of a superbike and how aggressive they come across, but I found myself not at all impressed with the images of them after looking at some amazing cafe racers.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think i've seen that exact same cafe racer documentary.

Without getting too much into the history of the caferacer: Cafe bikes are just the fastest bikes

of the time with every bolt-on race accessory they could get. Bike companies didn't make sport

bikes or dirt bikes. They had one setup and that was the "Standard." Generally Cafe Racers

bought whatever they saw racers had on the track. It's no different than modern sport bikes and

the crap bolted onto them. The "triton" is special because it's an amalgum of everything Britain

had to offer, and at the time that's who was winning championships. The concept of the "cafe

racer" is actually American.

The "Standard" is a lost tradition in the motorcycle industry. In America, people unknowingly pay

$9k for sportbikes because that's 99% of any showroom. I have some ideas why American

showrooms don't have W650's and other perfect all-arounders, but mainly I think it's planned

obsolescence: People buy those bikes to ride forever; People buy GSXR600's because they're the

fastest bikes around--until next year.

This is the perfect bike. Super light (370 wet), Superbike performance (Ducati monster platform),

realworld functionality (huge luggage capacity), and a design language closer to the charm and

functionality of a tractor than the superficial "look at me" marketing focus group design of a modern

sportbike.

scramblerstudio8top750.jpg

UNFORTUNATELY the assholes who are doing this project want 8 grand to chop your monster. That's not incredibly expensive considering those Alpina rims cost something like 2500. They're also out of somewhere stupid like bumfuck Germany. I can make that kevlar tank and airfilter setup, but hopefully someone else can do the rest.

01JvB08ScramblerPostversandweb.jpg

The end-all of blog hunting.

http://www.pearltrees.com/#N-u=1_40&N-p=319387&N-s=1_47215&N-f=1_54265

They're not just a bitch to find, they're impossible and strictly for track. Either that bike's got

turn signals because it's in europe or because some canadian/american spent a hell of a lot

of time to prove it's road legal. Problem is even if you do get it road legal, you're still riding

a track bike. Portland roads arent THAT good.

im still eyeing that 768 hypermotard. Sub 400 lbs wet (with plenty of weight to shed), perfect

hp/torque balance, suspension handling,59 mpg, and if it doesnt have one yet it soon will

have a gas tank with 6.4 gallon capacity. That's a range as good as my Acura. Sheeeiiiii--

It's literally the best bike ever made.

They're not just a bitch to find, they're impossible and strictly for track. Either that bike's got

turn signals because it's in europe or because some canadian/american spent a hell of a lot

of time to prove it's road legal. Problem is even if you do get it road legal, you're still riding

a track bike. Portland roads arent THAT good.

im still eyeing that 768 hypermotard. Sub 400 lbs wet (with plenty of weight to shed), perfect

hp/torque balance, suspension handling,59 mpg, and if it doesnt have one yet it soon will

have a gas tank with 6.4 gallon capacity. That's a range as good as my Acura. Sheeeiiiii--

It's literally the best bike ever made.

ahh wooooord. i just ask because i had a homie in san diego who's coworker rode one all around SD and said it was stupid fast.

Soup... thanks for the lesson! I vaguely recall them talking about the birth of the Triton and why it came about, but your explanation is right on the money. Pretty cool idea, though I guess it's nothing most kids aren't doing today with old Honda CB350 or the CB500. What did they call going 100mph? The tunnel? That cracked me up. It was a good documentary, though a bit short.

I think it's interesting to note that whatever kids are doing "underground" (in any culture... motorcycle, art, cars... etc) eventually makes its way to the showroom floor.

Yep, I said kids. Get over it, kids.

1.) This is somehow celebrating the day the berlin wall fell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhY37aoC7Q

2.) This was only a matter of time. Supra's going to laugh since I've sent them inflammatory letters telling them to get a fucking move on this for the last year.

That's a narrow boot. Not really digging it but it's betterlooking than a lot of boots out there.

Nike_AIRMX_6.0.jpg

Soup... thanks for the lesson! I vaguely recall them talking about the birth of the Triton and why it came about, but your explanation is right on the money. Pretty cool idea, though I guess it's nothing most kids aren't doing today with old Honda CB350 or the CB500. What did they call going 100mph? The tunnel? That cracked me up. It was a good documentary, though a bit short.

I think it's interesting to note that whatever kids are doing "underground" (in any culture... motorcycle, art, cars... etc) eventually makes its way to the showroom floor.

Yep, I said kids. Get over it, kids.

when you've done 100mph you are part of the "ton up" club.

mods vs. rockers ride at the end of this month.

just going 80 on my cb450, i feel like the bolts are going to come loose

and the wheels will fall off on some cartoon shit.

and Viper, nice shovel.

my next bike will be a shovel or iron head.

i finally got off my butt and rented 'the worlds fastest indian'. as they say - "i slept on that shit, hella tough".

the scene where the young kids wished burt goodbye made me feel all emo, i wont lie.

my mom grew up in salt lake (non-mormon..gotta add that or she'd slap me) and always has crazy tales of watching people at bonneville go balls to the wall. any of you guys had the chance to view that shit?

i bullshitted with a fella at the speakeasy tonight, and he told me all the guys that ride bikes in his car club have yapped about beating burt's 1000cc and under land record, but nobody wants to try cause they respect the numbers dude pulled off without modern technology. fuckin a. maybe im a gullible bastard, but i believe it. cheers to the old timers that put their shit on the line.

7" off a fatboy. gonna get rid of this gay fucking eyelid shit and just mount it to the lower tree.

i dont know who the fuck decided the stock headlight mount was a good idea, but that person is a fucking moron. it looks like such shit, i cant even fathom the retard in R&D who cosigned that shit.

next step is figuring out what to do with the idiot lights. for some reason i really want to keep them. not sure why. atleast the neutral and oil light. just gotta get em off the clamps. shit looks gay up there.