mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmotorbikes!

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
bike_new.jpg

bike_new_2.jpg

crappy cell pic.

still have a ton of work to do to it... chop the big ass signals in the front, new bars, new big ass headlight...wanna go atleast 8" nh. throwing a sissy bar on tomorrow...really thinking more about hard tailing it if i can do it for a reasonable price. we'll see.

i like the matte black, but it seems like its getting a little played. think i might wanna switch it up in the spring. maybe a dark burnt orange flake or something...'london fog' AA. nothing real fancy though, just a little different.

oh, and this is how it started. doesnt look much different here, other than chopped fender, but whatever...

newbike.jpg

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-bar-end-mirrors/

Those mirrors are overpriced and just look terrible. They're meant for ducati sport classics, not harleys. PLus that's $120 down the shitter if you knock the bike over. And bar end mirrors dont work.

Depends on the bars but if you want mirrors this is the way to go. It'll work better too.

If I had $22k, i'd buy a Zero Eng. chop.

samuraichoppert7_533.jpg

photo-T6M-h700.jpg

zero_engineering_1.jpg

50wl3.jpg

zero_engineering_0.jpg

zero_engineering_3.jpg

zero_engineering_4.jpg

zero_engineering_6.jpg

P1160502.jpg

RatFighter1.jpgzero_engineering_bullet_train.jpg

shinya_kimura_hoon.jpg

IronManMovie02.jpg

3206709973_d4d84c3669_b.jpg

And i can't find an image that does it justice but they have a metal flake tank with cherry blossums on it that blows my mind.

3007362785_777a56986c_o.jpg

3206659435_871fb22952_b.jpg

soup,

yeah, itll never be done, but im gonna enjoy the process.

guages.jpg

this was my speedo/idiot light solution.

cut off the indicator bracket from the speedo housing, smoothed it out and mounted it to the top clamp. mounted the speedo down off the side of the frame. works perfect. i really wanna clean up the front of the bike though, so im thinking fat boy light 7" light, lose the 'eyebrow' mount, remount the indicators someplace else....maybe make a small bracket that wraps around the edge of the speedo? not sure quite yet. i do like them though, not sure why.

been thinking about these bars possibly.

biltwell-handlebars-low-drags-black-photo-1.jpg

no riser necessary, bolts right to the trees. pretty fresh i think. also considering some smaller apes... 10 or 12". dont wanna change out my wires though. blah.

seeks

i dig the bars you posted.

the bars you have now look a little too british for the HD.

also, i dont know if its the angle of the first photo, or its the solo seat,

but that tank looks huge. maybe a smaller tank to show off the motor more.

and when your do the sissy bar, get a pad.

im a fan of a bigger head lamp as well.

i have a 7.5" off a FLH on my CB.

people are making newer ones, but i think most the ones you see are old HD springers. someone is supposed to be making a direct bolt on set for xs650's for under a grand, but as of yet i havent seen em.

the bars are the stock ones, so if they're too british looking, blame HD.

tank is stock 3.3gallon. i could get a tank riser kit, that will bring it up 2 inches, giving it a frisco'd look, but im gonna have to change bars for that. plus, theres kind of a mess of wires up there right now that i'd need to deal with. the issue is the seat. its so small, and set so far back, it really fucks with the lines of the bike. it annoys me every time i look at the fucking thing. i might go with a le pera at some point, just dont wanna dump $200 into a seat right now. i ordered a solo spring kit for it, and as much as i HATE sprung seats on softtail bikes, i think it'll help the lines a little. plus, as of now the seat is ziptied to the frame. not very classy.

70 degrees here today. time to ride.

criper3.jpg.bca998eba798aeb722becbb0d307a7ec.jpg

i was going to edit, but you shoudl just hardtail it if that whats on your mind.

no need to waste money on modifying it more when what you might really want is a hard tail.

i imagine in your profession, you have some clientele who are builders, or know people who can do it for you.

barter your work for their work.

in the long run, you'll be happier with a bike that you've wanted.

thats if you really are thinking of hardtailing.

or sell the sportster for a softtail, if youre going for the look, but with comfort.

went for a 30 mile ride today. i know thats not much, but its definitely the furthest ive gone in one shot so far. woulda gone further but my boy didnt dress appropriately and whined about being cold so we had to head home.

this bike is cool for around town riding, but fact is i'm 6'3".... the bike is a little small for me i think. plus, 883, is a little less power than i'd ultimately like i think. i know i can do the 1200 kit, but its gonna be 1200cc in a frame thats a little too small for me, and vibrates like crazy on the highway... sinking $2 or 3k into this... i dont know. but thats whatever. i'm not hellbent on a hardtail, i just like the way they look. if i could find someone RELIABLE that i could trade for the work on it, i'd totally do it, but we'll see.

next topic...

while riding today, i eventually noticed a little bit of pinching in my shoulders as a result of the way the bike fits me. i cant decide what exactly i could do to solve that. i was thinking of just pushing the bars a little more forward, thereby extending my arms a little more. it would force me to hunch over a little more, but i think it might help my back. or maybe not. i suppose thats an easy one to try out. the other option is some smaller apes again. it would definitely get me sitting more upright, which i think might be nice. blah. sorry, im doing a lot of thinking out loud. i need to take some pics of me on the bike and send them to folks here who know their shit who can give me some ideas of how to better position myself. no homo.

/end rant

All those problems you're having with your bike can be remedied with custom parts, but it's always going to be cheaper to just buy a different bike. Your call how you want to go. I have a hard time passing up the opportunity to do the work myself, even when it's more expensive.

And maybe clipons are the way to go instead of risers. I'm only saying that because I dig the look, and it would pull yourself over the tank. Me being a cyclist and used to that geometry, I'd say that's where home is.

Edit:

By luck (I love ChopCult) i found an evo sporty hardtail with clipons and Moderator orange tank.

sporty_l_f.jpg

sporty_r.jpg

sporty_l_r.jpg

sporty_controls.jpg

Is that the stock triple tree? That's straight sex. Matches the gas cap too.

sporty_r_side.jpg

And here's thedude that rides it. He doesnt look short. Oh and it's an 883 too.

Engine, year and make, model, modifications: 2003 "100th Anniversary" Sportster 883, now a 1200. No head or cam work done so that HP and torque remains at lower RPM.

Frame: Paughco frame

Fork: Sporty fork cut way short

Tire/wheel size and style: 16"/19" big Firestones

Favorite thing about this bike: It's low and fast, fun to late brake and skid to stops

Next modification will be: Get fork to work a little better... railroad crossings at 60 mph have been "interesting," to say the least

Other mods, accessories, cool parts, etc: Custom fabbed bits are rear fender struts & fender, plate holder, oil tank, pipes, sectioned gas tank, air cover, brass riser covers, clip-on bars, brass front hub cover, modded 10" front rotor & caliper

seeks needs to tattoo me

and my father will weld his hardtail

real talk

im drunk but im serious

ss bolts por vida

i got invited to a wp party tonight because i have a shaved head hahaha

not really my scene, but skrewdrive put out some good shit

fuck

seriously

tat zap me

old man will weld your frame

SS bolts-- forreal my dude? Thank god your dad's on the other side of the country from Seeks. If your familia would go through that much trouble for a couple bolts I guess it's ok then.

I feel like I should be posting MY kind of bikes: sport bikes and streetfighters. Honestly tho this is the era of chop and I respect that. Plus I already posted the good shit and nothing new has come out.

Fuck it ima post old photos of my bike and see how they look up next to all these chops.

IMG_1522.jpg?t=1263636314

IMG_1524-1.jpg

Phase 1

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

Phase 2

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

Phase 3

1552rm8.jpg

1zqfq0m.jpg

Phase 4

qnwba9.jpg

r2uhzm.jpg

Phase 5

I'm not gonna lie compared to what it looked like in the beginning that wreck was a fucking TRAVESTY.

Whatever. The bike's shedded about 15 pounds and rides good. Freeway speeds are a bit windy.

id be down to have a bike with clip ons, but not my only bike.

ill mess around with this thing for a couple years till im in a position to house more than one bike, then i'll cop somthing else. keep this as a project and have something else a little bigger/smoother for highways etc. got up to 60 yesterday, which i know isnt much, but it was pretty windy and my first time at that speed. bike definitely vibrates like a bitch.

and have i mentioned my absolute terror of riding over metal grates on draw bridges? its like riding on fucking ice. with the wind yesterday, it was almost pushing me into the oncoming lane. not sweet.

word. aint nothing fun about riding on highways on light bikes.

the first i ever road further down the street of the neighborhood was a camping trip with 15+ friends on bikes. we rode out over 130 miles to the dessert. it was my first time going over 40, first time on a highway, and the second day that the bike got running.

the ride back, we hit some crazy wind. the wind was coming from our side, and we had our bikes leaning a good 45 degrees just to go in a straight line. then the wind changed to head wind, and i felt like i was going to lift off my bike on some wizard of oz shit. eye opening to say the least.

soup, i like youre "street figher" more than the first phase.

as far as sport bikes go, thats the best look in my opinion.

All blogs suck on the same pair of tits.

I shouldn't say that. There are actually some ran by real historians, photographers, and mechanics. Then there's the others...

Honestly tho I've been through so many blogs it's probably impossible to post something new. I've yet to find the perfect bike: something I can build myself, and something I can afford to own.

Also I hate my motorcycle. I want a V twin bolted to a steel tubular frame with enough power and practicality for a Californian to jet 2000 miles in any direction, and enough performance to keep things interesting. That's the dream, ladies and gentlemen. And I plan on videotaping it and becoming a world famous motorcycle tourguide. It's not a great dream considering I've totaled a different vehicle every year for the last eight years, but a dream nonetheless.