<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I just reformated my comp and am starting from scratch. What would you recommend for some basic free/share ware to run in the background? antivirus (Is avg still sick?)? CPU/RAM monitors? Also, where can I find other lists I should add to peerguardian 2? I know casek and others have posted stuff like this before, but the most of that was deleted in the oontz server crash. Thanks fellas

I just reformated my comp and am starting from scratch. What would you recommend for some basic free/share ware to run in the background? antivirus (Is avg still sick?)? CPU/RAM monitors? Also, where can I find other lists I should add to peerguardian 2? I know casek and others have posted stuff like this before, but the most of that was deleted in the oontz server crash. Thanks fellas

bluetack.co.uk for other lists for pg, avira antivirus is good, comodo firewall,

a-squared free...i'll think of some more in a bit.

My internet explorer isnt working, even though I'm clearly connected to the internet and my mozilla connects fine? Whats up with that shit?

Am I getting a blocked process from anti-virus or is mozilla not allowing internet explorer access or something? I dunno, I'm baffled. I could really care less about my IE but my girl uses it and is all pissed now that its not working

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

state offers free college tuition if you do some shit.

visit schools, employers in the field you wish to work in

ect ect. So i been doing this. Decided that I will try to

get an IT degree. Be it associates or comp sci/IT BA.

I have an unrelated BA but need to do something else. The

university told me i could get the BA in a little over 2 years

as i already have the Gen eds and electives

done. They were also saying that the IT degree

requires a few math classes including calculus. Can anybody

who works as an IT please tell me if they ever had

to bust out some calc on the job or if they ever see it

happening?

seffiks or casek.

Im not computer smart by any means..and was wondering about this laptop i have.I can be on the internet or just doing stuff on the computer and the whole computer will just freeze. i have to hold the power button for 5 sec. or whatever to get it to turn off. im not sure whats wrong with it...so my question is do you guys think its something i can do myself..or should i take it somewhere and have them look at it. heres some specifics on it.....

its a HP compaq nx9010

it says it has an intel pent. 4 processor w/ 2.40 ghz?

also says it has 447 mb of memory.

it has windows vista on it right now...some people were telling me to get rid of vista???

if need be i can pm you guys my phone number/nh if its something that i might be able to fix...?? any info can help..thanks fellaz

yeah i figured that would be right shai. should i take it somewhere to get xp put on here...? or can i do it myself...? like i said in the OP...im not too tech so...

it's not hard. save your money.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4206516/TinyXP_Rev09_-_eXPerience

should be an .iso file you just right click on and open with your cd burning program. burn it to a cd at a lower speed, pop it in your laptops drive and reboot. follow the onscreen instructions. you should have numerous choices for what kind of install you want. one with ie, wmp, etc. one without. a few more with some different options.

you want the one with driverpacks (no matter if you install IE and WMP with the pack. you can always use mozilla and VLC media player instead.

let us know. someone will be around to answer questions. or pm me.

so, i'm beta testing firefox 3.5 now. rc 2 just came out, so i'm playing around with it.talk about some neat shit. this browser kicks ass.