The turbo car thread

Avancier

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

s13coupe (s15 conversion this summer)

ca18det

arias 8:5:1 pistons

tomei 256 in/ex cams cam gears

tomei hard valve springs

arp studs

ported/polished head

decked

550cc injectors

cpc intake plenum

GT30r

hydra ems

custom 3'exhaust (plan on welding my own soon)

footwork

sustec pro DD coilovers

tanabe rucas

tein tie rods

shoes:

17" racing hart c2

Originally posted by dnt.smke.regs@Dec 2 2005, 08:21 PM

ca18det

tomei hard valve springs

arp studs

ported/polished head

decked

550cc injectors

cpc intake plenum

GT30r

hydra ems

footwork

sustec pro DD coilovers

tanabe rucas

tein tie rods

shoes:

17" racing hart c2

What made you decide to go with the CA18 and not the SR20 might I ask?

Originally posted by dnt.smke.regs@Dec 2 2005, 07:21 PM

ca18det

tomei hard valve springs

arp studs

ported/polished head

decked

550cc injectors

cpc intake plenum

GT30r

hydra ems

footwork

sustec pro DD coilovers

tanabe rucas

tein tie rods

shoes:

17" racing hart c2

Hey if you really have that, post the pictures.

Originally posted by Avancier+Dec 2 2005, 09:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avancier - Dec 2 2005, 09:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dnt.smke.regs@Dec 2 2005, 08:21 PM

ca18det

tomei hard valve springs

arp studs

ported/polished head

decked

550cc injectors

cpc intake plenum

GT30r

hydra ems

footwork

sustec pro DD coilovers

tanabe rucas

tein tie rods

shoes:

17" racing hart c2

What made you decide to go with the CA18 and not the SR20 might I ask?

[/b]

cost. when you work for a hardware store, an sr wasnt really cost effective at the time. im also a sucker for iron blocks++

but on the real...................this fucker likes to rev. alot. when i first upgraded from a t too small to a gt28rs 550cc's 255lph fuel pump, and avcr i was neck for neck or beating many heads/ex/pulley/chip z28s and foxbodies. even took out some kid who was mod for mod engine wise. but to each his own i guess.

^^Me too. So here's a question. If you need to get parts for your CA18DET, cant you use parts from the RWD CA18 that was in the old 200SX cars sold here? I may be wrong about that, but I could have sworn that was the motor my man had in his 200SX that came factory here in the US.

yeah, it's a 1.8t 20th...only 4,000 made....it has a shit load of crap that doesn't come with the normal 1.8's like recaro racing seats and a 6 speed trans...the suspension is upgraded to by the factory, it handles like a dream(part of the reason i'm getting my license suspended)

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT@Dec 3 2005, 10:30 AM

I have never even heard of a CA18DET before yesterday?

Advantages/disadvantages over the SR20DET?

Anybody?

The CA18DET came in the 88-91 S13 Silvias and 180SX cars. 1988-1993 for Japan and 1989-1994 for the US. As you can tell by the code, the 18 means its a 1.8L. It is one of the older turbo L4 motors that Nissan made back in the late 1980's. The next closest turbo L4 was the FJ20 family. There was an FJ20DET also. The SR20DET and DE were the next generation of L4's to come out starting in 1991. Of course being of smaller displacement, the CA has less torque than the SR. The CA can rev higher, but the SR will provide a more broad tractible powerband. Both can be built to high hell, it just comes down to what you can afford, what you want from a motor, and your personal tastes. I prefer torque. If I had a 240SX I would build up an turbocharge the KA24 motor. The KA has an iron block like the CA.

Originally posted by Avancier+Dec 3 2005, 12:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avancier - Dec 3 2005, 12:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_habiT@Dec 3 2005, 10:30 AM

Anybody?

The CA18DET came in the 88-91 S13 Silvias and 180SX cars. 1988-1993 for Japan and 1989-1994 for the US. As you can tell by the code, the 18 means its a 1.8L. It is one of the older turbo L4 motors that Nissan made back in the late 1980's. The next closest turbo L4 was the FJ20 family. There was an FJ20DET also. The SR20DET and DE were the next generation of L4's to come out starting in 1991. Of course being of smaller displacement, the CA has less torque than the SR. The CA can rev higher, but the SR will provide a more broad tractible powerband. Both can be built to high hell, it just comes down to what you can afford, what you want from a motor, and your personal tastes. I prefer torque. If I had a 240SX I would build up an turbocharge the KA24 motor. The KA has an iron block like the CA.

[/b]

^^ pretty much oh don't forget about the ae86/levin's direct competitor, the s12!

as far as parts go any 89-9~ nissan pulsar nx component should switch right over. but please believe i had to HUNT for aftermarket support. i dunno it has been worth it. imagine smashing someones brand new kitted out 05 stang with a 1.8l 800$ motor on a 1500 chassis :king:

now i need to get my bread up so i can cop my next project...............g35w/ rb26. hey it starts with a dream don't it? :burn:

That would be sick... my little bro has aspirations of rb26'ing a 240 sometime in the near future.

Those RB26 motors aren't that hard to get ahold of if you go to a japanese motor importer.

Also, I fucking love sleepers, that seven up there looks fuckin sick. The faster the car the faster

the panties come off.... and the faster my eyeballs stick to the back of my head.

Originally posted by dnt.smke.regs+Dec 3 2005, 01:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dnt.smke.regs - Dec 3 2005, 01:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Avancier@Dec 3 2005, 12:40 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_habiT@Dec 3 2005, 10:30 AM

Anybody?

^^ pretty much oh don't forget about the ae86/levin's direct competitor, the s12!

as far as parts go any 89-9~ nissan pulsar nx component should switch right over. but please believe i had to HUNT for aftermarket support. i dunno it has been worth it. imagine smashing someones brand new kitted out 05 stang with a 1.8l 800$ motor on a 1500 chassis :king:

now i need to get my bread up so i can cop my next project...............g35w/ rb26. hey it starts with a dream don't it? :burn:

[/b]

Holy fuck! Are we brothers? I always thought to the S12 as the AE86 Nissan comepetition. I thought I was the only one. Shieeet nigga.

I had read about some owners going with the CA18DET. Like he said lower costs and Etc. are the primary reasons.

I think it was Modified Magazine(?) in which I just read an article about the various engines that could be put in 240sx. The CA18DET engine had a pretty good write up and review in it.

You might want to block out your licenseplate cloner if your for real. And if you are, what have you done to your rx7?

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT@Dec 3 2005, 01:30 PM

That would be sick... my little bro has aspirations of rb26'ing a 240 sometime in the near future.

Those RB26 motors aren't that hard to get ahold of if you go to a japanese motor importer.

Also, I fucking love sleepers, that seven up there looks fuckin sick. The faster the car the faster

the panties come off.... and the faster my eyeballs stick to the back of my head.

oh word? put em up on the rb25.i know of several kids down here that have swapped em into fastbacks

1500~ 2500k front clips (might even be cheaper now) and have surpassed 320whp with a good tune and bolt-ons / fuel upgrades.