DETROIT GRAFFITI

Issac Brock

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DSD666

• GLEN BENTON

• wickedwacko!

• LEEZYONE

Originally posted by seeking@Feb 7 2006, 06:31 PM

if there are 'tons' of writers all over the world doing philly styles, but are not from philly, they are biters and suckers, period.

yes, i think regional styles should stay regional. unless you're from that area, or taught by someone from that area, you shouldn't be doing it. no matter how much you like radiohead, you're not gonna start speaking with an english accent are you? why would you copy a handstyle that's foreign to you? appreciate, but don't imitate. as for NY, there is no "NY' handstyle. never was. there are people from ny with famous hands, but nothing that defines the entire city.

there's no need to defend or explain yourself to me (or anyone else). just take it all for what it's worth and do with it what you want.

makes sense... but what "style" is detroit? straight letters with quarkey weird cursive connector tags? mind you, everyone, if you think about it half the people that are in detroit with a "dope style" isn't actually from here... shit even justo came from san fran right? and usually whoever get's "good" here takes off... so unless everyone is doing straight letters in this city than everyone is a biter... having someone give you your letters is a graffiti tradition right? but yet so many people are so bent on the "biter" thing... i think your graffiti should be influenced by your peers... chillin with phers makes me want to do some west coast/ st. louis style wild style... chillin with loaf makes me want to paint ignorantly... hanging out in southwest made me like gang letters so i use them, plus i love death metal... so i put those together... but then again if you don't particularily like any graffiti you're surrounded by then ignore it and do what makes you feel the best... are you painting graffiti because you want to or just because you want to know the people...as for the radio head thing... shit man... go to zhado's and drink some coffee on open mic night... there's a million biters of that shit in there every time... bump tho for seeking for some good advice...

...i was wondering who that cops stuff was... bump...

heh... i have my own philly wicket... but i have people's there too... i think wickets all in all look pretty poo poo but the traditions behind them and the people who rock them make them dope... something about a huuuuuge ass tag on the entire side of a panel truck or an entire rooftop covered with just tags is pretty sweet to me...

let's see someone tear me apart now...

yye.jpg

u5e.jpg

IMAG03778.jpg

IMAG0373fdhdf.jpg

hryth.jpg

IMAG03999.jpg

PCDV0014.jpg

yg.jpg

yummie!

not to beat the musical metaphor to death, but think of things in relation to hip hop. regional styles are like das efx, e-40 or bone. they are absolutely unmistakenable. when you hear them, you know it's them and anyone who is not affiliated with them and tries mimicking that style will just look ridiculous. now look at someone like rakim or jay-z. they have a style of their own but it's built upon a more 'traditional' base, so it's less immediately unique. it doesn't stand out in a crowd like a black guy at an atmosphere show. make sense?

Originally posted by justin case@Feb 11 2006, 12:24 PM

jaydeeweb.jpg

WAY TOO SOON, GOTTA GO PICK UP DONUTS ASAP...

danm. rest in peace.

as far as the philly thing goes, i think that for the most part, hand styles should stay where they are originated. if they are in other places, it should brought there by cats from those original areas, not kids who saw it in a mag or on the internet. (no hate intended)

plus phillidephia is an exceptionally hard handstyle to grasp. alot of the kids i came up with were from west philly and i remember being totally stumped by wikets. my philly hand it still sucks ass. i'll leave that shit to the real deal philly heads.

here, feel free to hate and argue among yourselves. ;)

phillyjawn1.jpg

i didnt see that abort when i posted that. ill be the first to say, its WAY too wide to be philly, but the face is sweet. fohr told me about philly style after he moved back from there, its just something you obtain from living there. kinda like how people in detroit are just naturally fatter than everyone else.

Originally posted by seeking@Feb 10 2006, 03:46 PM

not to beat the musical metaphor to death, but think of things in relation to hip hop. regional styles are like das efx, e-40 or bone. they are absolutely unmistakenable. when you hear them, you know it's them and anyone who is not affiliated with them and tries mimicking that style will just look ridiculous. now look at someone like rakim or jay-z. they have a style of their own but it's built upon a more 'traditional' base, so it's less immediately unique. it doesn't stand out in a crowd like a black guy at an atmosphere show. make sense?

makes sense...

Originally posted by SqurrlMaster@Feb 12 2006, 01:36 AM

i didnt see that abort when i posted that. ill be the first to say, its WAY too wide to be philly, but the face is sweet. fohr told me about philly style after he moved back from there, its just something you obtain from living there. kinda like how people in detroit are just naturally fatter than everyone else.

all philly hands arent tall handssss

Originally posted by BMT...SMS@Feb 12 2006, 11:15 AM

Were the hell are some new "AFTER SUPERBOWL" flicks... is DETROIT still on mad buff patrol? The Highways look so plain... all the buff marks are funny!

i think some cats have been blastin the freeways lately, i am prertty sure i seen some of that reft shit on 96 along with some loaf, lol

Originally posted by SqurrlMaster+Feb 11 2006, 08:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SqurrlMaster - Feb 11 2006, 08:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>the last 5 pages are a bunch of crap.

bump for that super-phers and some fbs & tsr action.

and rip to underground blunt masta rap dogg, whoever he was, im sure he was fresh.

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-SqurrlMaster@Feb 11 2006, 08:36 PM

:rolleyes:

sorry, but you call the last five pages of this thread crap, and contribute

this? I love you Squrrl.

-JU :$: TIN

I tell everybody from other countries that everybody is a rapper in detroit, you just kinda obtain it from living there.

Originally posted by seeking@Feb 7 2006, 06:31 PM

if there are 'tons' of writers all over the world doing philly styles, but are not from philly, they are biters and suckers, period.

yes, i think regional styles should stay regional. unless you're from that area, or taught by someone from that area, you shouldn't be doing it. no matter how much you like radiohead, you're not gonna start speaking with an english accent are you? why would you copy a handstyle that's foreign to you? appreciate, but don't imitate. as for NY, there is no "NY' handstyle. never was. there are people from ny with famous hands, but nothing that defines the entire city.

there's no need to defend or explain yourself to me (or anyone else). just take it all for what it's worth and do with it what you want.

WELL THERE IS SUCH THING AS A D-TOWN TALL TAG

YOU GUYS TOOK THE TAG OUT OF CONTENTS BY STEREOTYPING IT AS A

PHILLY WICKET