The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

What company is that from?

I think the best videos of all time are the old New Deal videos. Useless Wooden Toys, 1281, The Deal Is Dead, etc. I loved New Deal, Mad Circle, Underworld Element and those companies that branched off from New Deal. Such great art from Andy Howell, Jose Gomez and that crew.

I too love the early/mid 90's era of skateboarding. It just seemed better and pure. New tricks being invented all the time, skateboarders could recognize each other a mile away because of their clothes and it seemed funner than it is today. Now it seems like skaters are specializing in shit, like being a "tech" guy or a "ledge" guy or a "handrail" guy. Back then everyone did everything. There's still some great skaters that do everything, but the industry is so inundated with talent that very few people stand out of their little niche. It's kinda sad, and it's gonna have to hit a breaking point where skating becomes completely unpopular again and becomes pure again. I mean, skaters are sponsored by Motorola and Redbull for chrissakes.

it's from blueprint skateboards out of the uk or something. i see every video that comes out, and i'm impressed and everything, but they just don't seem to have the same heart that was involved years ago. i'm only 19 but i've been skating since '94. i grew up on this shit. my favorites of all time are mouse, all the old chocolate vids, the new vids were great too. that era was the favorite time in my life.

but this lost and found video, i sat down to watch it not expecting a whole lot and i was completely fucking blown away. the creativity is something else. paul shier is the man. the editing, the soundtrack... everything is top notch. i honestly have not been this hyped on a video in years. since kenny reeds part in 7 year glitch. it's so different and fresh. yet simple. you'd just have to see it. i give it a 10.

Skating, like graff is as good as I want it to be. If we get all caught up in the sidetrack crap of politics, drama, and media/internet hype it turns to shit. If I just go out and push, and just enjoy the feeling of pushing, the sound of wheels on concrete, an ollie up a curb, a simple no comply, I am reminded of why I started, and why I still do..skate.And writing is the same, a simple tag, a piece that was just FUN to paint..that is what it is all about. The rest of it all fades away after all and you are left with memories and maybe a few scars and a photo or twenty.

sma/101- always good stuff from them 90's

blind- video days

streets of fire

PJ Ladd??? The kid is rediculous. How the hell could he look like ANYONE elses video parts?

his part in pj ladd's wonderful horrible life is an all time classic. his part in flip's really sorry was the most boring generic shit ever. all he did was jump down stairs. yawn. no creative tech lines, no dorky fun stuff. it looked like every other video part that came out that year

Now it seems like skaters are specializing in shit, like being a "tech" guy or a "ledge" guy or a "handrail" guy. Back then everyone did everything.

people are becoming more well rounded now, or at least are including that sort of stuff in video parts now. don't judge someone's skating ability by their video parts. that shit's just marketing. just cos andrew reynolds doesn't skate transition in a video doesn't mean he can't throw down. hell, i saw kareem cambell blast the hugest kickflip i've ever seen out of a quarterpipe and he's the last person you'd peg as being able to skate tranny

skateboarding culture died long ago.

Not in Cleveland , Ohio..Hell Black Label started an entire " Black Ohio " series just because Cleveland is a huge old-school sk8 town . I watch these youngsters with the tiny 7" - 7 1/2" boards do all the technical stuff . It doesn't bother me in any way because I sk8 vert and pools primarily . I'd rather see a 12 year old skating than playing a total fucking Steve-sport like football orm wrestling . :cool:

I think the best videos of all time are the old New Deal videos. Useless Wooden Toys, 1281, The Deal Is Dead, etc. I loved New Deal, Mad Circle, Underworld Element and those companies that branched off from New Deal. Such great art from Andy Howell, Jose Gomez and that crew.

I too love the early/mid 90's era of skateboarding. It just seemed better and pure. New tricks being invented all the time, skateboarders could recognize each other a mile away because of their clothes and it seemed funner than it is today. Now it seems like skaters are specializing in shit, like being a "tech" guy or a "ledge" guy or a "handrail" guy. Back then everyone did everything. There's still some great skaters that do everything, but the industry is so inundated with talent that very few people stand out of their little niche. It's kinda sad, and it's gonna have to hit a breaking point where skating becomes completely unpopular again and becomes pure again. I mean, skaters are sponsored by Motorola and Redbull for chrissakes.

all the Mad Circle shit was by Mr. Barry Mcgee and i agree with your above sentiments...plan B changed the fucking industry...

oh and new england far from sucks for skating, your just a pouser!

all the Mad Circle shit was by Mr. Barry Mcgee and i agree with your above sentiments...plan B changed the fucking industry...

oh and new england far from sucks for skating, your just a pouser!

pouser. ok. i've skated through providence, new haven, new london, i guess i just got spoiled out west..

I too love the early/mid 90's era of skateboarding. It just seemed better and pure. New tricks being invented all the time, skateboarders could recognize each other a mile away because of their clothes and it seemed funner than it is today. Now it seems like skaters are specializing in shit, like being a "tech" guy or a "ledge" guy or a "handrail" guy. Back then everyone did everything.

I never was one for trends , fads , etc...I really despised the industry in the mid to late 90's . Hip Hop greatly influenced styles , clothing and whatnot . Vert/Pool skaters like myself were looked upon as dinosaurs . And that was cool with me . But I really resented the fact that the younger generation of kids that started skating in the late 90's completely wrote off the history of skateboarding from the late 1960's up to 1990 . I never got the whole " technical " thing . Spending 3+ hours to land some silly flip made no sense to me . You're right back in 1988 you could go from doing airwalk's off a launch ramp , carving a nice kidney pool . bombing big hills and skating a nice 11ft. vert ramp all in one day .

I never was one for trends , fads , etc...I really despised the industry in the mid to late 90's . Hip Hop greatly influenced styles , clothing and whatnot . Vert/Pool skaters like myself were looked upon as dinosaurs . And that was cool with me . But I really resented the fact that the younger generation of kids that started skating in the late 90's completely wrote off the history of skateboarding from the late 1960's up to 1990 . I never got the whole " technical " thing . Spending 3+ hours to land some silly flip made no sense to me .

You're talking about the early 90's. The mid to late 90's was when all the same exact kids that used to swear by size 70 jeans, 38mm wheels, 7-1/4 decks and made fun of you if you couldn't land a double pressureflip late shove... suddenly grew dredlocks and beards and switched to 60mm wheels and 8-1/2 decks and the frontside boardslide came back to replace the pressureflip and the 50-50 grind came back to replace the switch frontside crooked grind. And a stylish frontside boardslide on a bench somehow all of a sudden burned a nollie hardflip to crooks (no matter what it was on).

True story.