V for Vendetta

Weapon X

Originally posted by LENS+Mar 1 2006, 02:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LENS - Mar 1 2006, 02:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Weapon X@Jun 5 2005, 09:44 PM

Hey, LENS, you just can't wait to jump on the bandwagon of the next low budget foreign film, can you?

Yeah, I'm not sure if this movie will be that good, but LENS, you might be missing out on being a cool, well informed, cultured, underground hipster if you haven't read the book.

Oh wait, comic books are for kids, right? You'd rather be painting and drinking with ugly asian broads, right?

1. No, I just like good movies is all....after how dissapointing the matrix trilogy turned out, why should i be amped on this movie?

2. I'm not cool, I am nerd, I am informed and cultured but I don't identify myself as being "hip"

3. Certain comic books are retarded but other are simply amazing because of their structure, artwork, plot and character development.

4. Yeah, i would rather be painting and drinking with asian broads (of whome i know a few...some ugly, some hot as hell, but all cool) than see this flick..

If you want a realistic account of a totalitarian future, I suggest they re-do 1984 and farenheit 451

[/b]

Trust me - if you read the V for Vendetta comic, you might change your mind about how much the story rocks.

Besides, one day you're saying how you hate watching overpaid athletes, then the next you're saying that the Olympics are boring. Hatahata!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Weapon X+Mar 2 2006, 09:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Weapon X - Mar 2 2006, 09:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

If you want a realistic account of a totalitarian future, I suggest they re-do 1984 and farenheit 451

Trust me - if you read the V for Vendetta comic, you might change your mind about how much the story rocks.

Besides, one day you're saying how you hate watching overpaid athletes, then the next you're saying that the Olympics are boring. Hatahata!

[/b]

1. V for Vendetta (the comic) is one of the most important comics ever, along with Watchmen. It came out, in England, during the middle of the Margaret Thatcher regime and the Cold War. And it absoloutly tore apart the Thatcher propaganda regime and was aimed directly at it. It's not just a "totalitarian 1984 rip-off", it was the most daring comic of it's time and maybe ever, along with Watchmen. Nobody was doing it before Alan Moore did it.

2. If more hipster-children read this, then there would be less hipsters. They'd realize that there is so much more complex and sophisticated shit out there and they'd stop wasting all their time being snobs.

3. God forbid we get a remake of 1984 and Farenheit 451. Enough remakes.

4. You gotta read it, Lens, and everyone else who gives a shit about anything other than tits and guns.

<!--QuoteBegin-Nyarlathotep@Mar 2 2006, 09:44 PM

i didnt read anyof this at all..

i just wanted to say once again that i wanna see a cerebus movie.

and possibly an oldschool animal man..mayabe vertigo movie..

also down for a y the last man... and remember ambush bug?

There were rumors of Y the Last Man being a movie. I think it's a shitty idea at the moment, since the book is not even close to being finished and there's just so much in it that you couldn't fit it into a movie. An HBO series, however...

Same thing goes with any of the Vertigo books I'd like to see on the screen. Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Sandman, The Losers (which just ended)...

All would be better as television shows on networks that don't censor or have commercials. Sandman, I don't think they could pull off, too complex and dense. Hollywood sorta pulled off Constantine, it was a fun movie, although not entirely true to the book. There could of been a billion other people that were more right for the role than Keanu--didn't even get the hair color right--but if you put that aside, he was watchable.

Originally posted by LENS+Mar 1 2006, 11:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LENS - Mar 1 2006, 11:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Weapon X@Jun 5 2005, 09:44 PM

Hey, LENS, you just can't wait to jump on the bandwagon of the next low budget foreign film, can you?

Yeah, I'm not sure if this movie will be that good, but LENS, you might be missing out on being a cool, well informed, cultured, underground hipster if you haven't read the book.

Oh wait, comic books are for kids, right?  You'd rather be painting and drinking with ugly asian broads, right?

1. No, I just like good movies is all....after how dissapointing the matrix trilogy turned out, why should i be amped on this movie?

2. I'm not cool, I am nerd, I am informed and cultured but I don't identify myself as being "hip"

3. Certain comic books are retarded but other are simply amazing because of their structure, artwork, plot and character development.

4. Yeah, i would rather be painting and drinking with asian broads (of whome i know a few...some ugly, some hot as hell, but all cool) than see this flick..

[/b]

they should remake farenheit 451, that would be ill

Originally posted by fermentor666+Mar 3 2006, 01:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fermentor666 - Mar 3 2006, 01:04 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Weapon X@Mar 2 2006, 09:32 PM

1. V for Vendetta (the comic) is one of the most important comics ever, along with Watchmen. It came out, in England, during the middle of the Margaret Thatcher regime and the Cold War. And it absoloutly tore apart the Thatcher propaganda regime and was aimed directly at it. It's not just a "totalitarian 1984 rip-off", it was the most daring comic of it's time and maybe ever, along with Watchmen. Nobody was doing it before Alan Moore did it.

2. If more hipster-children read this, then there would be less hipsters. They'd realize that there is so much more complex and sophisticated shit out there and they'd stop wasting all their time being snobs.

3. God forbid we get a remake of 1984 and Farenheit 451. Enough remakes.

4. You gotta read it, Lens, and everyone else who gives a shit about anything other than tits and guns.

<!--QuoteBegin-Nyarlathotep@Mar 2 2006, 09:44 PM

i didnt read anyof this at all..

i just wanted to say once again that i wanna see a cerebus movie.

and possibly an oldschool animal man..mayabe vertigo movie..

also down for a y the last man... and remember ambush bug?

There were rumors of Y the Last Man being a movie. I think it's a shitty idea at the moment, since the book is not even close to being finished and there's just so much in it that you couldn't fit it into a movie. An HBO series, however...

Same thing goes with any of the Vertigo books I'd like to see on the screen. Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Sandman, The Losers (which just ended)...

All would be better as television shows on networks that don't censor or have commercials. Sandman, I don't think they could pull off, too complex and dense. Hollywood sorta pulled off Constantine, it was a fun movie, although not entirely true to the book. There could of been a billion other people that were more right for the role than Keanu--didn't even get the hair color right--but if you put that aside, he was watchable.

[/b]

I haven't read any Hellblazers yet, but I read on a website that John Constantine is a bisexual.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Weapon X@Mar 3 2006, 11:45 AM

Shit, that excludes me.

I can't remember if he's bi, but the actor that plays him supposedly is.

Problem with V for Vendetta is that part of what makes it so important is the context in which it was written. The movie will not be able to re-create that. Same with Watchmen. Which is why both are a lost cause.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this movie. I'd say it's pretty decent.

It could have been so much more, though.

The acting was very good, for the most part. So was direction.

But there was so much potential wasted.

It was very different from the book, to be sure. There were some nods to the original comic, such as "Storm Saxon" and..well, I can't remember right now. But there was something lacking.

V's character was inconsistent, I thought. And he lacked the wonderful poetic nature that he had in the book, ie "Vicious Cabaret" and his "talk" with Lady Justice. And the movie didn't show the extremities of the oppression the citizens of England were living in. They didn't elaborate on the fact that the minorities and homosexuals were terribly marginalized and slaughtered.

They didn't make me feel sorry for Evey once when she was imprisoned and tortured. I've seen worse on the show, 24. And she was imprisoned for no good reason. In the book, she was imprisoned for almost killing a man. I'd explain this furhter, but it would be a spoiler and a half.

In the book, Evey is horribly tortured and absolutely emaciated by the time her sentence is done. But in the film, she is still quite pretty by this time. Perhaps there is no way of making Portman ugly.

Totalitarian London didn't look so bad in this film. I was wondering what all the hoopla for change was.

Lacking these extremities of despair and terror, the movie lacked the punch that could have made the theatre goers stand up and cheer at the end.

Plus there were some plotholes. How did that mysterious prisoner escape from the concentration camp? That was a major one.

For those who have read the graphic novel, you will sorely miss the song, "Vicious Cabaret", as well as some other things, like "Dancing in the Streets".

Oh, one last thing - thank goodness they kept the letter from Valerie unchanged. Boy, if they didn't have that in the movie, it would be shit. It really was the saving grace. It's too bad Natalie Portman couldn't quite convey just how meaningful this letter was to her in prison. That letter moved me to tears practically when I read the book. In the movie - ehhh, not as much.

All in all, it's a pretty good movie. You should go see it. But, not to sound cliche or anything, you should dish out the few extra dollars to buy the book. It is far better.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Al Green@Mar 17 2006, 07:04 PM

i saw her the other day going into my office building. yeah she has always been a winner.

Did you know Guillermo met her at a party in Boston? He said she was completely cracked out with the ultra-frizz hair, and she was sitting down on a couch petting a scraggly little dog while staring blankly out into space.

just saw it at an imax theater. imax is french for 'big as fuck' for those that don't know. there were some corny parts and a few holes, but overall, i was feeling it.

i really liked dudes mask. it made me laugh. i kinda wish they would have explained how he had so much money. does the comic explain this?

Originally posted by seeking@Mar 18 2006, 06:05 AM

just saw it at an imax theater. imax is french for 'big as fuck' for those that don't know. there were some corny parts and a few holes, but overall, i was feeling it.

i really liked dudes mask. it made me laugh. i kinda wish they would have explained how he had so much money. does the comic explain this?

The comic explains so many different things that I'm sure the movie doesn't, but I'm not sure if that's one of them.

Haven't seen this movie yet and I'm in no rush to do so, especially since anyone I go with hasn't read the comic and I won't be a part of that.

Archived