bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Today, in the rain-hail-snow flurries, I managed to get in 30 miles. Mostly hills but a few good flat sprints thrown in for fun. Concentrating on hills has definitely improved my false-flat rides. I use to get winded going over those but I've noticed a big difference since I started staying seated for 95% of my climbs. When I got home today my toes were so cold that they stung when I took my shoes off. They were getting their natural heat back and it hurt so bad! Even with all that crap I have pulled over my shoes and winter socks. Sheesh!

Tomorrow is the big trainning ride day. 85 miles. Out to the "Bridge of the gods" and back... weather permitting.

That Croll looks like a demon... I love it!

Tearz... c'mon man, where's those photos!!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Joker

When I got home today my toes were so cold that they stung when I took my shoes off. They were getting their natural heat back and it hurt so bad! Even with all that crap I have pulled over my shoes and winter socks. Sheesh!

make sure you have good circulation to yr feet, dont put so much on that it cuts the blood flow. thats the biggest cause of frostbitten toes in skiers.

Guest HESHIANDET

took a ride in the woods today. got my ass whipped. the kicker was when a cute girl rolled by me on a nice cross bike and im practically puking m gut out. oh wel, good time, felt great to be back in the saddle.

way to go hesh. last night i went on a night ride in a group of parks not far from where i live, the problem normally with these parks is most of the singletrack there is illegal. but as far as i can tell, every trail is legal after dark:) anyways, i always think its odd when i go ride these trails, for one there some of the best, gnarliest trails ever. second, they are so gnarly i could never see a hiker using them, and there way to thin for horses, so why is it illegal for me to use them. trail access in california is bullshit. nightridding is the funnest!anyone thinking of buying a light for night ridding i highly suggest dropping the cash and getting the niteridder storm or blowtorch, hands down the brightest light out there with the longest burn time, hell, its brighter than the headlights on my car,no joke. and last night was cold as hell, well cold for here, not as cold as jokers northwest or all you people on the east coast. but for my thin norcal skin, it was freezing.

the pictures should be here this week. and i'll put them up first thing..

i havn't been able to ride much i have one of those never ending coughs ive tried riding some but i just cough the whole time and i can't get into a rythem.. but i have to teach spinning class all week so that always helps with the conditioning

the light wheel debate

hottest wheels: rolf vector pros

http://www.lickbike.com/5042.gif'>

drawbacks: price (800 boners?!), supposed bad customer service, some say spokes break easily and expensive to replace...

mavic ksyriums:

http://www.mavic.com/img/prod/zksysl.jpg'>

still pricey, but more rugged than the rolfs.

campagnolo nucleons:

http://roadbikereview.com/Channels/RoadBikeReview/images/products/product_28421.jpg'>

i've seen these up close. they are real dope. don't know much about them.

i'm looking for some new wheels. let's talk about wheels. somebody said that they were going to do rolfs on their pinarello. arden chapman? vectors? i'm considering doing the same thing with the de rosa but i have reservations. mavics seem a little easier, cheaper, simpler, but not as sexy. damn those rolfs look dope. i won't have this damn bike on the road until september if i want to do it up like this, but it may be worth it. any opinions on wheels would be good... joker? i run phil woods and open pros on the track bike, which are dope, but this is a whole different ball game.

the rolfs are nice but if your gonna spend that type of money get the ksyriums,in my dealings so far as a mechanic, the campy stuff is expensive and sometimes hard to come by replacement parts, alot of hassle for a name. mavic is easy to deal with, parts readily available,generally, good customer service from my experience, and the wheeles are stout as F%#$.shimano makes some good wheeles also, but in my opinion, if your gonna spend real money on wheeles, get some hand builts. there is no comparison to a well built hand laced wheele.

my 2 cents.....

oh oh oh.. and before i forget, the number one reason NOT to buy the rolf vector pros, the spoke nipple is hidden inside the rim wall, meaning, that in order to true the damn things you must, remove tire and tube, rimstrip also,and use one of those spoke screwdriver things, theyre bent and rotate to alow you to turn the nipple from the inside of the rim, just to true your wheele. PAIN IN THE NECK!!

Tearz...

In my experience, I'd go with the Mavic's Ksyriums over Campagnolo. I run the Mavic Cosmos on my race bike, and while the cheapest wheel in the Mavic bunch... bomb-proof. I've hit black holes on downhill sprints and not a ding or bump in them. Mavic is a great company and makes great wheels.

My opinion... if you're a light fella, go with the Ksyriums. If you have a little extra around the waistline, go with the Cosmos. Trust me... you won't be sorry with either choice. The Kysriums cost about twice as much as the Cosmos though. So if you're on a budget and trying to get the bike on the road the Cosmos may be a good step. Shimano does make a some good wheels as well. And I've heard a few good things about the Spinergy's spoked wheels, but they're mostly from guys who race the track and use the quad spoke wheels on their track bike. So I feel they may be biased. Most racers I know run the Mavic's though. And if you look at the Pro Peleton... most racers I don't know run them as well.

One thing is for sure... Spring is right around the corner and you're going to want to have that thing rolling. Look at your budget, look at your options and go for a ride.

Originally posted by Joker

One thing is for sure... Spring is right around the corner and you're going to want to have that thing rolling. Look at your budget, look at your options and go for a ride.

good advice..joker the wise.

i dont see too many spinergy wheeles come in the shop,one pair, the quad spoke carbon ones to be exact. so i dont know much about them other than they look awesome and rode rather well around the block. my vote is on the mavic's.all there wheeles are of good quality so far as ive seen. mavic makes the most killingist mtn bike wheeles, crossmax ust wheeles, the lightest crosscountry wheele in its very advanced tubeless style.word to tubeless wheeles on dirt!

success on the bike shop job hesh!

Guest HESHIANDET

nope. i kinda overlooked the fact that it is january (even though ts 65 degrees out) and shops are slow in january. they all told me to come back in march. one place the guy was on that aggro mountain bike, shaved head,weak tattoos, perscription oakleys steez. he was fucking cock bag. the other place was straight, guy seemed psyched on me. they sell colnago, so im psyched on them.

for racing wheels im lucky enough to have a very sucsessful cyclist as a dad so i get to use all the goodies if you have cash go with the zipp 404 they are just damn fast you feel, look and go faster on them i also race with a 303 in the back also a very nice wheel but for training mavric cosmo in the back and i think a mavric sup in the front. i haven't had any problems also i raced the zipps in cyclocross too and they held up like champs..

Originally posted by HESHIANDET

...one place the guy was on that aggro mountain bike, shaved head,weak tattoos, perscription oakleys steez...

HA!HA!HA!!!! I love those guys! They crack me up. With their "I'll fuckin' blow doors on you, dude!" attitude. They're usually the ones who get left behind or have some lame excuse as to why they can't go ride. As long as they have the look though...

Go for the latter, Hesh. Sounds more like a place you'd want to be. Keep popping in the store from time to time just to let him know you weren't just a hologram.

haha, there are hundreds of those "extreme gnarly technical singletrack dudes" around my parts. they can be amusing.

joker, dibs &co. thanks for the advice. i'm leaning towards the ksyriums. but i don't know. the handbuilt wheels i have now are dope for sure and pretty light and certainly bomb proff with the open pros on there (DTs & phil wood track). weight wise, i'm kind of on the fence. i'm about 170 now, and looking to drop 5 or 10 by april or so, which i'm sure i'll do. but i'm sure i want some light wheels- especially to compensate a little for the slightly heavier italian steel frame and to push my ass up the hills around here. cinammon- i don't really know that much about zipp wheels. i've seen them, but i should check for them more. i got time to think i guess. but $ may be an issue, especially since i have no components yet. but i've just discovered this thing called a credit card...

Guest HESHIANDET
Originally posted by TEARZ

but i've just discovered this thing called a credit card...

speaking from experience, DONT!. trust me dude, i just finished paying off my mountain bike which i bought on credit. and every check i wrote i cursed the damn thing. now that its paid off i love it though.