bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

If you're riding gears and the chain slips... you can always gear up or down to put the chain back on the ring it feel off of. You know... you shift down to the small ring and the chain slips down around your bottom bracket. Shift up into the big ring slowly while pedaling until it magically sets itself back on the small ring. Then slowly adjust your shifter back to the small ring to put everything back to normal. And the same goes if your chain slips off the big ring around your crank arm. Just slowly shift down to the small ring. Works every time.

Never seen that computer training set up but it sounds tech.

Around here the Colnagos are gor the snobs. Most are actually worthy of the bike but their attitude leaves a lot to be desired. And the bike just amplifies that. For some reason a Litespeed, any make, is the bike of choice for older and slower riders. It's like when the gray starts showing they go out and buy a Litespeed. Weird. You can sit back and watch a Masters race and 80% of the field is on a Litespeed.

Steve... I'm a fan of the Look pedals myself. Especially with a good range of float. easy to get into and out of and fully adjustable to your liking. A little costly but well worth the loot. Though I have been hearing real good things about the Egg-Beaters.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Well, well ... it's been a while. Here's some input.

R. Heydrich ... Suck it up, dude. Just grab a handful of chain and put it back on. If you're riding a bike with gears, it should take two fingers at most. Now I can understand if you are riding to an interview or a date and you don't want to get dirty, but otherwise, wipe that grease off on your pants/shorts. The big question is why did your chain fall off in the first place? Maybe you need to adjust those limit screws and keep that chain clean. Btw, shifting slowly and/or wet wipes are also good solutions.

Steve ... Looks are good. I've also been hearing good things about the new Dura Ace pedals and the new Time Impacts. Egg beaters are okay, but the cleats wear kind of fast, and if anything hits the bottom-side hard enough (say you catch the pedal in a turn for some reason) it will automatically clip you out due to the design.

theblindpoet ... You're "not really into mountain biking," but you plunked down the cash for a bike with a SID fork and what looks like a full '03 XTR groupo (minus the wheels)? Interesting. Probably the only way you are going to shave weight off that thing is if you take all the parts off and put them on a better frame. Or you could sell it and get a road bike.

As for me, things are good here. I'm working a lot, but it has paid off. I was offered a promotion a couple of days ago. the title of "service manager" will soon go on my business card. I'm also about a week away from getting my new mountain bike. It seems to rain on all my days off lately though, so I don't know when I'll actually get to ride it. I had to ride urban in the rain last night. It didn't really matter that it was raining though after I fell into this fountain that I was attempting to jump. Good times.

alkaline...I was just wondering where you've been.

I'm all about the eggbeaters off-road, but I want a nice platform to transfer the immense power I'm putting out :rolleyes: to the pedals.

I had one of the coolest rides last night. Absolutely amazing. There is some truly amazing stuff in the urban landscape if you know what to look for. Ride time...5 hours. Temperature drop 15 degrees.

North Shore...never ridden there, but am currently helping build some NS style platforms. I'm too old to ride that shit...I don't heal as fast as I used to and fixing broken bike parts gets old real fast.

MTB gear

After jerking around for a few years on home-made trails, Id like to get serious with trail riding...

but I dont know much about the bike/gear I should have...

I'm riding a '99/00 trek 6000 so I'm pretty sure my bike is decent to start with?... I just dont have anything else... any good online stores for helmets/gear?

Also, I'd like to build a bmx for just tooling around town, wheres a good place to compare prices/shop...

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by nic sucks

hey alkaline...do you like apples?

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/dd1e2c6a/bc/My+Photos/shonuff.jpg?bcLBHW.Avs6QghdM'>

BLAM

How do ya like them apples...biotch.:)

Nothing came up. Just email the picture to me.

It's funny that you used that line, as Ris was just watching that movie the other night, and I'm watching The Bourne Identity right now. Matt Damon, like whoa!

Urban riding is fun. I got my new bike (late christmas present) just the other day, and I had better luck on the ledges and jumps that night. Sadly, the engine to my car threw a piston while I was on the way to Austin to ride yesterday. There is a hole in my engine the size of a cantelope. Now I have to buy a new engine. Looks like I'll be riding a lot more now. I think it's time to invest in some of those GoreTex cables.

um i just realized that i'm stupid and that i haven't changed my chain in over 7,000 miles. fuck, i might need a new cassette. also i haven't changed tires in over 5,000 miles... wtf, i have michelin pro races and i've only punctured once. i was thinking about this the other day (the first time i've rode outside in forever) and was skating over ice and snow patches.

dont let your girlfriend ride your bike ever!!!

ive been riding my bike ever since ive moved out of america and i love it. well recently i moved north into the mountains, where the weather is pretty bad in the winter so it was obvious that i couldnt ride my bike anymore. also they have this wierd snow deterent which shoots jetstreams of water all over in order to keep the roads ice free. don't ask. so i bought a car and reluctantly let my girlfriend ride my bike. i could quickly see that she was incaple of riding a bike even with training wheels but she insisted that her 110 frame needed to lose weight so i said fine but please be careful. after 2 days of riding she calls me to let me know that she was hit by a car. luckily she wasnt hurt but the rear tire was bent. she blamed my bike saying that the steering was horrible and the brakes were retarded. hmmm? it was fine when i rode it. i went to go pick up my ruined bike and the whole way she complained how the brakes didnt work and she rode right in front of the car because they didnt work. when she tried to turn left it would go right and when she would turn right it would go left, the brakes and gears are difficult to reach. huh????i get out of the car look at the bike, then look at her, then look to the sky and say oh my god!?? lord have mercy on her soul. the handle bars were backwards and she rode like 3 kilometers that way without noticing the splash gear on the wrong side, the brakes at her thumbs, and the gears backwards. i laughed the whole way home but my bike is ruined.

^^^^ oh my... i laughed out loud for about 15sec. dude that is some funny shit really really really funny. man if i could actually find a girl that would ride a bike in the first place i'd be happy but man that just bad.. oh man..

i got 16.5 hours in this week with a killer 75mile ride today with 3 major mountian climbs... and i got the upgrade to a cat. 3 and i think i got a bit of a sun burn today.. man im still laughing

Aiight......im gonna axe some questions here because although i keep an eye on google.bikes.tech.whatever, i dont feel like registering somewhere else.

i was given an older (mid 80's?) Motobecane 10 speed that i would like to upgrade to a light/mid loaded touring bicycle. everything's intact, it seems like a good fit, but its a god damn 10 speed and the wheels although fairly decent are 27 inchers. ive got a rear rack for it, need fenders, can hook up some bar end shifters and would like to keep everything else pretty much the same.

-im told the selection for 27" wheels is so depleted and outdated that id be better off building new 700Cs, though id rathher not.

- the frame, although named the "sprintour", is showing some rust but no other damage and looks like it might not hold up under some load.

-its only a 10 speed and i was told i might be able to give myself more usable gears with a new casette. the cranks only a double.

-its a motobecane which means the whole things french threading and complicates matters more.

id really really REALLY like to keep this bike budget, but as we all know there's a point where its not cost effective to update an old bike. IS ALL THIS SHIT WORTH IT OR EVEN POSSIBLE?

• 2 weeks later...

I got caught sleeping. I had my first mtn race this past weekend. I'm involved in promoting them now, so I added on a truckload of work. Worked my ass off for two days straight and didn't even think I was gonna race. Seeing as how I got tha hook-up, I said fuck it and went ahead and raced. I felt pretty good the first lap. Hell I was even in the top ten the first lap. About halfway through the last lap I blew up and just couldn't push the gears. I ended up in 16th place after one of my teammates sprinted me for the finish. Fucker let me pull him up the hill and then swung around and passed me, finishing a second before me.

Guest KING OF HELL

So. I have a Puegot Carbon fibre from the late eighties. i love it but i was wondering if its going to be ok to convert into a fixed gear. it has the vertical rear drop outs and i heard thats a problem. any help here?