bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So out of the last month commuting on my bike, this was the worst day...

Forgot my helmet at home, left my Giants hat on the train, on my way home tire blows out a 3/4 of a mile from the train station, i make the train, fix the flat at my stop and i knew it would probably not get me all the way home because the tire had blown out......i got 4 blocks and had to walk the rest of the way.

FUCK.

I am going to get some insane commuter tires i want to be able to ride thru lava...

Lesson learned, maintain everything means be aware of the little things ie. tire wear

On the upside, I copped some Deep V's lime green with white origin 8 hubs for the flip flop I am building...today they came in the mail.

I don't get those bars on fixies. Wouldnt drops be better?

Like the Cinelli, doesn't that frame lose all purpose with bars like that?

A mate just finished a new build of a Cinelli with SuperRecord, so bling and drool worthy.

whats the function? is it racing around a track or getting around the city? i tried drop bars and i just don't like the feel of them, so i went for these riser bars.

the answer is in your question...

the whole bike has a lean-forward feel to it. the geometry is made to put you the rider in a position to ride with drop bars.

w/ that stem, your seat position, the bike's geometry, and riser bars (thankfully they aren't trimmed to 14") you are riding a track bike with your body in the position it'd be on a beach cruiser.

nin_a9cdesk_1.jpg?w=497&h=310

this bike. drool.

oh, no disagreement about which bike is sexier. that mooto-x is possibly the sexiest single speed ever.

i think i've changed my mind about building that yeti asr. i don't think i can go against my hardtail upbringing in this build. very seriously thinking about a 29er. we'll see. i'm all over the place. i just need to buy a frame so i can settle and start building.

i have an older univega alpina pro that i've been thinking about outfitting for some trail riding.

any of you mtn kids have suggestions for a solid wheelset? not trying to break the bank, but i need something that can take some abuse.

bike seems to have been built up as a cruiser of sorts — big cushy seat & grip shifters (which i HATE).

only shot i have of the bike:

4682733794_2755b7dd88_b.jpg

and, just because, here's my baby:

4357386539_7fdd57ace9.jpg

Where are you riding? I've never fucked around with FS because I don't need it, but it seems like a fun time if I had trails permitting.

i'll be riding xc in the northwest--wa and or; idaho and bc are on the long range calendar.

i had a f/s bike about 5 years ago for about 6 months before it was stolen.

i was riding CO then.

it was a lot of fun, but i felt like my 'technical game' plateaued while my speed increased.

the benefits are undeniable, but its almost a different game. the thought process that goes into picking your lines diminishes significantly in trade for speed that is often sloppy.

ralphy--the benefits of fs for non d/h or free ride all pretty much play into increased speed and a plusher ride promoting less stress/pain on your body--think several hours of riding.

bob used to be a serious problem, and one of the major cons against f/s. shock technology (front and rear) has come a long long way. most decent shocks offer lock out options.

and general rear triangle geometry has evolved massively from the early days, too, cutting chain slack/bob related issues.

a good stiff hardtail frame still beats a locked out softtail in climbs, period.

i have no idea about ratios for a man of your stature. drop 6 inches and 90 pounds and we can talk.

if you're willing to put up that, i'd just recommend putting up another couple and getting yourself a new bike. hell, there are decent bikes that go for 400 sometimes on ebay.

putting a set of decent wheels on that is kind of a hilarious thought.

i'm actually having a hard time finding an okay set of rim-brake prebuilts--the two main mailorder pages i use are out of stock on all 26" rim specifics. hmm.

here's the deal: you're going to have a bike that is (by value ratio) 2/3 wheel 1/3 everything else. PM me your city and i can peruse your local CL or i can watch ebay if you're serious. you're going to do a lot better just replacing that than trying to create a functional trail bike