the NEW sketch thread

Overtime

seeks 4 second advice column:

quit with the typical, cliche 'hip hop/graff' style characters. you have way too much talent to be dicking around with that shit.

(not talking about the luda and banner, talking about baggy pant, hot topic style characters. it's overly obvious you have way more potential. the sooner you get out of that rut, the better off you'll be.)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@whywrite: thanks for the nice comments man, i really appreciate it! i honestly had no idea my work would be so well received here, i might even start posting my graff when i get my cohones up to speed :D

@seeking: i am thankful for you saying i have talent, especially since you have a very respectable position on these forums, but i really dunno who hot topic is.. i drew those characters really off the top of my head but i might have been subconciuously inspired - i actually made up the pose out of the blue ( i didnt even use pencil for that one, just pen and doodled one thing after another) but i think i will take your advice

also i have lately been focusing on just my letter structure and I am doing a buildup from regular block letters - what direction do you suggest i go into?

now here is a drawing that was sketched and scanned in and then colored on PC

http://www.imageshack.us/img2/1663/crazy1.jpg'>

HOT TOPIC

eh, for all you people out there that dont know what hot topic is........consider yourself lucky. its a store. that has one purpose, to sell shit to trendy people. i rarely go in there because i cant stand all the damn malll goths. you guys know what im talking about. mall goths....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.anyway, they sell ridiculisly(sp) big pants, with loops, chains, hooks, spikes, whips, whistles, yo-yo's you name it. they look pretty dumb.

machine gun,

i'm not saying you're biting anyone at all, i'm just saying that just by your technical ability, i can tell you have more potential than to just spit out regurgitated cliche images. i mean, no offense to anyone, but it seems like all anyone wants to do anymore is come up with a little iconic image and run it into the ground. its the dalek syndrome. you get one thing people like, and then beat it to death. it's formulaic. you make a little face, give it some funny teeth, crazy eyes, distorted perportions, then put it everywhere. people recognize it, its sweet. ten years ago, it was kind of cool, but after felon, and twist, and dalek, and tofer, and giant, and 85 million european kids have done it, it's not nearly as cool.

granted, this is totally just my opinion, and by no means some law to live by. not everyone can be good 'technically' speaking. if you can't draw, you cant draw and no amount of teaching can really fix that. for those people, i think it's better to do one thing well, than 100 badly. but if you can go further, i think it's a shame not to.

i assume you're young and going through the begining phases of things. i did the same shit. when i was 18, i was drawing the biggest shell toes in the world....my characters had fat laces so wide you could build a condo on it. they had funky hats and b-boy poses....technically they looked fine, but they were fuckind dumb and once i realized it, i never looked back.

i dont want to seem like i'm trying to dictate what's good. there are probably people that still like tribal gear...those people have no taste, but they might be nice guys, who knows. i just think if you looked outside of hip hop for influence, and took in a much wider array of ideas and images, that what you'd wind up spitting out might be a bit more innovative and ultimately fulfilling than what you're doing now.

maybe i'm wrong though.

as far as letters, if you're working on simple stuff and building off that, you're on the right track. you should post something.

thanks again for the great advice seeking

and yes i am quite young, in the middle of my 17th year and i unsderstand youre not trying to dictate anything but rather than just asking people to broaden their scopes of what art they pursue

ive always had a big interest in conservatism and propaganda from the art deco era and so i think i will start doing some of that stuff. i dont have an extremely closed off interest in just hip hop but that is my influence for everything i do pretty much.

i doubt youre wrong because theres nothing wrong with trying something different and trying to innovate yourself and i think everyone should try it

as the years go by and by graffiti is going to have to have some innovators so they stick out from the rest and perhaps that will mean looking to other forms of inspiration who knows

and i will post my stuff as soon as i get ahold of a scanner

Guest Propaganda

Damn, I wish I had my BBook with me some I can scan some fresh new sketches. I have another writer's book from a trade off so I will see if I can jawn up something tonite and post.

m.gun,

all the dopest emcees are the ones that take outside influences and weave them together. it's why redman is fucking brilliant, because he'll take some totally random shit that your average emcee wouldnt even consider, and make it hot.

"fuck your e class, i ride a giraffe'.

haha. shit kills me.

anyway, i look forward to seeing your stuff.

apoc,

it's funny, that A and C are both killing it, but i hate the PO. not that you're asking for a critique or anything. besides, im not trying to dis the PO as much as i am pointing out how much i like the A.

spellbound,

shit's real slick. two N'? you're ten times the man i am. i can't even make one N look right. perfect example of solid letters with things added to make it more interesting, not to make up for weak foundation. every kid that flips through here and doesnt try biting that sketch is stupid.

Yo seeking... not sure if ya too busy to help me out or nto but decided to ask. But a few pags back in the midst of the hecz fight you said i had letter sturcure (not sure if it's good or bad structure but ya said it was better than hecz's) but my bars were shit and I totally agree, well I don't even know if my letters are even any good but i try.

Anywayz, just curious if you could help me out with bars and all that cuz I look at sketches like the nathan one above for example that have nice letters and then the bars added just flow nicely and make it look so hot and many good writers do the same... altho i can't seem to get the hang of the extras.

If ya could give me some advice on it I'd appreciate it. Also any advice on letter sturcture would be good as well... what i should improve on that or whatever. I dunno, cuz you know ya shti and are pretty damn ill so I'd like to get some advice from ya.

If ya can't give any that's cool, but if ya could I'd apprecaite it...

jayfo,

to be honest, im not the person to talk to about bars. i don't add anything to my stuff, i've just been around long enough to know what's good and what isn't. just work on making your letters solid, then add in little things to fill spaces and create movement and form. look at stuff like that nathan. look for stuff by SPone and AVES. both guys who do fairly simple styles, but do it solid as shit.

just make sure all your letters are perportional and even. if you make letters with some parts fatter than others, make sure they balance out.

find a couple older writers you like and try to do your letters in their same style. once you start to get an idea of how they do it, and what makes their letters good, you'll be able to transfer that into your own style eventually.

more than anything, just take your time and learn things the right way. make sure you have a decent hand before you spend too much time working on letters. when you do work on letters, make sure you can do good simple letters. to practice those, just pull up microsoft word, type your name in a bunch of different fonts, print it out, and literally just redraw them.

if you post some more stuff, i might be able to be a little more specific.

Originally posted by MLTf4nt0m

lol, hey onesec, wheres the original post. where you told seeking to shut the hell up and post fliks?huh? whyd you delete it but only qoute half of the original post? huh?huh? :lol: :lol: wussssssssssssssy. rofl.

what the fuck you talkin about muffin?

i very rarely sketch and when i do, its just real rough stuff just to get ideas. i don't even remember the last time i did a 'real' full color black book page. just not really my deal. if i put the effort into coloring something, it's usually little illustrations like the stickers i've posted in the past.

if i can come across a scanner though, i'll try to come up with something.

Originally posted by seeking

i very rarely sketch and when i do, its just real rough stuff just to get ideas. i don't even remember the last time i did a 'real' full color black book page. just not really my deal. if i put the effort into coloring something, it's usually little illustrations like the stickers i've posted in the past.

if i can come across a scanner though, i'll try to come up with something.

and ill even let you hit my passaround......

too good to sketch? fuck no. try too lazy. too uninspired. winter doesn't do much to spark desire....spring however, is good for stuff like that. all i've really worked on for the past few months is handstyles. which i suppose, if i could find a scanner, i could post some of. don't hold your breath though...they're all just mutated boston/MUNE styles anyway.

i don't really trade stickers or do books, sorry. i'm not very good with packages in general. unless you're a girl, it's gonna take me 2 years.

Originally posted by seeking

i don't really trade stickers or do books, sorry. i'm not very good with packages in general. unless you're a girl, it's gonna take me 2 years.

you musta read wrong, cuz it looks like you thought you had a choice.....haha, im just playin, i wasent really thinkin you would hit my book, it'd be cool, but the whole thing was basically a joke