punk/soul/funk/reggae mash-up...recommendations please

optimodub

the music i love is punk and reggae, but i mostly go to soul/funk clubs, never punk nights (they're always shite) so i'm after some fucked up punk with a bit of soul, funk or reggae in it, some of the bands i've found so far have been...

MC5...obviously

mAKE uP...fucking amazing

Dub Narcotic...can never find their stuff, what's the best to order?

The Slits...3-piece woman band playing punky reggae? perfect

P.I.L....what's the best to get?

Liquid Liquid...saw them live last month, amazing

and a few more of the early 80's New York Noise, UK punk/dub crossover type bands, but the soul/punk thing is what i'm after now, from any era, any suggestions would be grand, cheers

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

shit man, of course i love Bad Brains! how could i forget!?

not a fan of Fishbone though, don't like the slightest hint of metal in my music

The Clash i've meant to get some of for ages, i only have a dub version of Bankrobber, which is excellent. but i never realised the Damned had anything like that, will investigate

most of the rest i've never heard of, but will look up cheers

Guest BROWNer

oooh, i get it..i'm sorry, you want the whole package

type of deal.

how about infectious grooves?:dazed:

maybe you'd like the big boys.

fat, punk, funk......and seminal too.

Where the hell did you see Liquid Liquid? That's ill. Here's my contribution...

Reggae:

Barrington Levy

Agustus Pablo

Billy Boyo

Nigger Kojack

Freddie McGregor

Lee Perry

Linval Thompson

Wayne Smith

King Tubby

The Skatelites

Michigan & Smiley

John Holt

Horace Andy

Yellowman

U-Roy

Don Carlos

Gregory Isaacs

Dennis Brown

Cocoa Tea

Soul and such:

I really don't feel like listing. I could go on forever. I'd have to invite you over to take a peek at the collection.

:king:

Originally posted by im not witty

is this the clap your hands meters?

"Clap ya hands now people clap them. Clap ya hands now people clap ya hands."

You know what they say, "Funky music is the thing"

Ohh man do I miss loopin breaks for kids. I just went up stairs, so many memories.

"If i had ta swim a river...Guess that I would do it."

Ohh man...Killer break is "Black Grass" very hard to find, you will only find it if you know what's up.

Originally posted by villain

Henobody listens to ska anymore..... What's up with that!?

Bah. Ska rules. Too many bands mix ska and punk, making it sound sucky. Mad Caddies is surely one of the bands that pulls it off without a doubt. Bosstones aswell. I think that you should seperate ska and punk when making music. Ska is happy, punk's not.

Fuck people should listen to more ska! Slackers, Specials (2-tone maybe..), Skanksters etc. I could go on forever....

Originally posted by JimboTheLion

Ska is happy, punk's not.

i played saxaphone with the singer of seespot, but he killed himself...... link 187's singer the son of danielle steele killed himself.

rolan alfonso saxaphone player of the skatalites died and a memorial was played for him on the ska parade.

mooooo

Guest BINHEXED

MUSIC

lately i've realized that i dont prefer one kind of music to the other. theres music i just dont feel, and then theres the rest. its like trying to pick one movie to be your favorite movie for your whole life. but heres some random music i feel.

-sizzla

-dj shadow

-radiohead

-immortal technique

-outkast

-chili peppers

big up to hank parker, the skatelites

are really fresh.

Subhumans...fucking love them (if you mean the UK ones, haven't heard the Canadian Subhumans) and the singer's 2 bands after them, Culture Shock and Citizen Fish, don't usually like ska punk at all, but they did it well, the only other is Operation Ivy of course

Black Flag...probably my favourite US punk

Dead Kennedys...supposed to play here few months ago, but it was cancelled here for some reason, had no intention of seeing them anyway, no Jello no show

Sizzla...just got the Black Woman & Child track, nice stuff, need to hear more

DJ Shadow...one of the artists who i have to have EVERYTHING by, genius

Rage Against The Machine/Red Hot Chilli Peppers/Living Colour...no chance, the rock/metal doesn't do it for me

Lee Perry King Tubby Linval Thompson Wayne Smith The Skatalites John Holt Horace Andy U-Roy Gregory Isaacs Dennis Brown Augustus Pablo...love all them

but don't know this stuff...Billy Boyo Barrington Levy Nigger Kojack Freddie McGregor Michigan & Smiley Don Carlos Cocoa Tea...i've still to try some dancehall

and my mate is seriously into his soul and funk, especially Northern Soul stuff, so got that covered

and Liquid Liquid did a one-off reunion in New York so their relatives and whatever could see what they missed out on all those years ago, or something like that, and it went so well they decided to do 2 or 3 more in Europe, so saw one of those, amazing, so tight though, sounded exactly like they do on record

anyway, i know my punk and reggae, what i'm still really after is another band who can do soul fired punk as good as mAKE-Up did it, what a fucking band

and i forgot to mention the outstanding Primal Scream, a bunch of Scottish nutters who've been around for over 15 years, don't know if they're well known in the US, but they've done indie, techno, dub, reggae, hip-hop, funk, punk, jazz, blues, just about everything, working with the likes of Dan The Automator, Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine, Augustus Pablo, David Holmes, George Clinton, Adrian Sherwood, Andy Weatherall, Jah Wobble of P.I.L., Bernie Summer of New Order, and even have Kate Moss singing on their last album

Originally posted by optimodub

but don't know this stuff...Billy Boyo Barrington Levy Nigger Kojack Freddie McGregor Michigan & Smiley Don Carlos Cocoa Tea

Essentials...

Billy Boyo- One Spliff A Day (he was 13 when he got shot and killed)

Barrington Levy- Under Mi Sensi

Nigger Kojack & Horace Andy- Green Bay Killing

Freddie McGregor- Roots Man Skankin

Michigan & Smiley- Diseases

Don Carlos- Spread Out

Cocoa Tea- Rocking Dolly

^^^^All these are early dancehall. As you can tell, I'm a very big fan or early dancehall and early dub riddims.