The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Dear dear sas,

the photo of the wire, like all macro focus close up structurally oriented photos, I find pretty boring.

The one of the mud-caked roots has awkward cropping and the lack of linear perspective.

The landscape with the sunset, I believe is let down because the land/house in the foreground is textured, but only very slightly. I think when you have so little texture availbable due to light it would be better to have no texture at all(higher contrast)

The one of the palm leaves and electric wires, fails IMO due to what strikes me as unflowing composition. That said I think it has some quality that I can't really identify and I think it would have alot of potential as a graphic design base of some sort. Also did you use zoom (slightly) for it? It looks to me like you zoomed in slightly. I hate the effect of zooming

The red sky scape is very cool and interesting.. though not a great individual photo... great graphic design use for it

How can you tell whether or not he zoomed.

I'm very interested becuase I guess I don't pay enough attention to detail to notice.

Or I lack experience.

Anywho, I agree with the one about the house and the sky. Up the contrast, and it would be nicer. Sillouhette [sic?] effect.

When I get paid, I'll have some b&w's developed.

Hopefully.

-fuse.

Originally posted by skirmfirm@Feb 9 2006, 10:04 AM

christ what happend to snap and shoot.

goin all techno on his ass.

Ha... that's what I used to say! Until I got my hands on a nice camera... now I will fuck with one picture anywhere from 1 minute to 2 hours or more... just to get it to look right. It's funny too how much graff influences my photography as well, I am always looking for certain angles or balance in a photo, and color schemes. Even just the way something is lit or shaded.

ANyway, just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by 716-239photo@Feb 9 2006, 09:24 PM

im looking for a dslr... leaning towards canons due to the great digital qualitty, and i already have a canon 35 mm.. any suggestions on what kinds???

I would go for a Rebel. The March issue of Popular Photography voted it #1 all around camera in 4 or 5 categories of Nikon, Olympus etc.. You can find one for rather cheap if you look around on ebay. My Rebel is a year or two old, and works great! I can't imagine one working better, but... apparently they do...

But, honestly... you can have a GREAT camera.. but if your post processing (photoshopping) skills are below average or just horrible... your photos wont be so hot. You have to develop technique and do a bit of homework.

But, if you want to spend money on a good camera... go with a Canon Digital Rebel!!!

Originally posted by TrustUGN@Feb 9 2006, 10:55 PM

But, honestly... you can have a GREAT camera.. but if your post processing (photoshopping) skills are below average or just horrible... your photos wont be so hot. You have to develop technique and do a bit of homework.

Word up. Now that digital's all the rage, people go in thinking (as with anything else) that the best camera with the most MP and doohickies will make you the best photographer. Fuck that.

CKIT: that one of the protest (?) is hot... but if you could draw more attention to the little girl in the lower corner, it'd be super hot.

i just got my holga film cross processed.

im pretty sure that the right way to do it is if i shoot with slide film... i shot wit 400 print film and the results are really dull..

does anyone know how to go about it?

plus whenever i scan the film it shows up as a black line and i cant see them at all...

plus - ckit nice flix, the one wit the lonely ass desk in the corner is my favorite

Philtho,

Cross processing can go both ways... reversal (slide film) to negative ("regular") doesn't work as well as neg to reversal, but it is doable... as you've noticed... it's also a little trickier with 120 and larger formats. There is 120 reversal out there that works pretty well in holgas (i think fuji velvia does a good one) but it ain't had for the cheap. if you've got the funds, though, hook it up.

Scanning is a bitch though. It sounds like you've got a flatbed with the neg. carrier that lays flat--like an Epson 1660. It's nearly impossible to scan 120 on flatbeds... the lightsource in the lid just isn't wide enough. you need to do a TON of photoshop tweaking to get it to something even resembling an image, and then it's more work to get it looking good. Unfortunately, medium- and large-format neg/slide scanners are crazy expensive. I'd try taking them to the local good shop and seeing if they can hook you up with some scanning. Unless you're really into dicking around with PS for an hour or two (like a lot of us probably are)... if that's the case, you can probably figure out some sort of rig to get more light through the film.

shit, that's a lot of photonerdliness. good luck.

Originally posted by thecarwreck@Feb 10 2006, 05:55 PM

Philtho,

Cross processing can go both ways... reversal (slide film) to negative ("regular") doesn't work as well as neg to reversal, but it is doable... as you've noticed... it's also a little trickier with 120 and larger formats. There is 120 reversal out there that works pretty well in holgas (i think fuji velvia does a good one) but it ain't had for the cheap. if you've got the funds, though, hook it up.

Scanning is a bitch though. It sounds like you've got a flatbed with the neg. carrier that lays flat--like an Epson 1660. It's nearly impossible to scan 120 on flatbeds... the lightsource in the lid just isn't wide enough. you need to do a TON of photoshop tweaking to get it to something even resembling an image, and then it's more work to get it looking good. Unfortunately, medium- and large-format neg/slide scanners are crazy expensive. I'd try taking them to the local good shop and seeing if they can hook you up with some scanning. Unless you're really into dicking around with PS for an hour or two (like a lot of us probably are)... if that's the case, you can probably figure out some sort of rig to get more light through the film.

shit, that's a lot of photonerdliness. good luck.

thanks for the explanation carwreck..

so if i get slide film and cross process it, can i get prints? or can i scan the slides??

ourlady - shopping cart is dope!!!! nice stuff