Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today i found 2 cans of old dupli pastel blue looks like 80's can but it have white bottom so its weird,and mint green is some weird ass can made by motip,weird top and it have 80's can style,but with paper lable,so dont know how old is that one...and how rare

126b2x4.jpg

weird top on mint green (right one)

oky1kx.jpg

white bottom on 80's can

f4p8nr.jpg

mint bottom without date or yr

21mcfur.jpg

need some info ...

I read a post last page about cans leaking onto other cans... I have my cans wrapped in bubble wrap, and sealed with tape for this reason.. It kind of happened by accident, didn't think of this idea on my own, but when I was moving, I started taking all my cans out of the boxes, and when I noticed this can leaked from a pin-hole on the seam, I was extremely grateful I had them wrapped, as it probably would have destroyed the entire box of cans. Now I just do this out of habit to cans that are more valuable either in general or to myself. I'm lucky because where I work they just chuck tons of shipping materials, bubble wrap etc, so I just grab it whenever I see it so there is no additional costs to do this on my end.

2 cans I've never used. The Grape Frost because I only ever found one. The Pimentos because they cost me almost $6.00 when I bought them. And that was back in 2006 too. Yikes.

Anyone ever use this..? vvvv

DSC03642.jpg

DSC03650.jpg

The Pimento is so close to Tomato....yet I can't seem to bring myself to use it. Anyone ever have the chance to empty one..?

DSC03653.jpg

DSC03652.jpg

used grape frost a few times....its not a bad color at all

but that Pimento.....that shit looks dope - never understood keeping paint that you will never use

......USE THAT SHIT

Talking about hazardous waste drop off centers...

Somebody talked about them like 4 years ago, on this topic, i can't remember who, but a well-known member.

That's how i went to my local one, and then to the other ones around, and i have always come across crazy lots, for collection and for use.

I haven't got my hands on 125 Rustos(god daaaamn!), but there were days with days without.

15 Krylon, 5 Novemail, 10 Altona, and the other days just 2 shitty glossy whites...

I think 15 or 20% of my stash come from those spots.

But as every other things, business has taken over, and one day they said "Sorry man but you can't get the cans no more, it's too dangerous, we have rules, blahblahblah..."

Suck my dick y'all fuckin state robots.

Those centers are gold mine, people drop so much nice stuff, ghetto blasters, old-school tv's, tons of papers...

Yea like i said its no big secret. Like epmd said, if we all are able to find spots in our local areas, and all of us get cans in our areas, the trading game might be better because all of us might have a chance to get better cans. Instead of buying them for 35 bucks a piece in some occasions. Fuck that.

Ive bought cans at 40 a piece before, some people have paid up to 4-500 for a pineapple yellow. I dont wanna that shit for a fucking can of paint, I have a family to support.

Like i said, their just fucking cans of paint. They are conversation starters, things to reminisce over, (i use my old shit for canvases sometimes) I love my old school. I appreciate it tremendously. But i actually got the word of those spots from looking through every page on here, And doing my homework a long time ago.

Look at it like this, if others dont know about it, thousands of good cans will just go into the fire and get burned.

Some people just don't want spots getting burned....those that are in the know, know. We should keep it that way....

I'd rather spots get burned and all the cans get saved than have the cans get burned in an incinerator and the spots be kept a secret. The more cans found and around, the less expensive they will be for everyone else. I mean there's so few people collecting that it's ridiculous for just an even smaller group of people holding all the cans to hoard them and sell them off a little at a time so they can get bigger pockets. I understand and can appreciate the business side of it all. I do. However, I suggest people worry about their own geographic area and not spots on the other side of the country from them. If someone comes on a spot and wants to share it, cool, that's respectable. If you don't want to share, then don't. But telling people not to share info when they have a different mind set when it comes to finding and salvaging and rescuing and cleaning and displaying cans, is off putting.

Here's my thought. Let's do a rating system for all the collectors. 1-5 scale. 1 will represent you as a preservationist collector - you want the cans saved for their history and not their monetary worth and like the fact that you're not the only one with some tight can brands/colors. 5 will represent you as a hoarder who is trying to corner the market and control the market prices including adding shipping costs after ebay auctions are over b/c "you got the wrong shipping price and it's actually $20.00 more to ship it than originally agreed upon". I mean do collectors really sell.?

By definition collecting means: "seeking, locating, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, displaying, storing, and maintaining whatever items are of interest to the individual collector."

and the definition of selling: "the exchange of goods for an agreed sum of money."

and the definition of trading: "the voluntary exchanging of goods, services, or both."

Does a seller collect? Does a collector sell.? Are we not all traders instead.?

Maybe there should be 3 threads, one for "Serious collectors" and one for "Serious sellers" and one for "Serious traders". Or maybe I should be quiet and huff my Jungle Green I paid way too much for and forget about all this mess. Forget it, I'm collecting new system Krylons from now on. Anyone have any leads...?

on that fan tip, son..

i'm not even sure if i should post in this thread, but i do because you guys know what you are talking about and the 'spray paint' thread is full of idiots. i don't consider myself a serious collector, but i find old cans to be awesome. lately, i've been wanting to find berry pink PT..i used it alot before and got burnt out on it, but now i feel nostalgic about it..i'm still looking for my krylon terracotta as well. happy digging.

I'd rather spots get burned and all the cans get saved than have the cans get burned in an incinerator and the spots be kept a secret. The more cans found and around, the less expensive they will be for everyone else. I mean there's so few people collecting that it's ridiculous for just an even smaller group of people holding all the cans to hoard them and sell them off a little at a time so they can get bigger pockets. I understand and can appreciate the business side of it all. I do. However, I suggest people worry about their own geographic area and not spots on the other side of the country from them. If someone comes on a spot and wants to share it, cool, that's respectable. If you don't want to share, then don't. But telling people not to share info when they have a different mind set when it comes to finding and salvaging and rescuing and cleaning and displaying cans, is off putting.

Here's my thought. Let's do a rating system for all the collectors. 1-5 scale. 1 will represent you as a preservationist collector - you want the cans saved for their history and not their monetary worth and like the fact that you're not the only one with some tight can brands/colors. 5 will represent you as a hoarder who is trying to corner the market and control the market prices including adding shipping costs after ebay auctions are over b/c "you got the wrong shipping price and it's actually $20.00 more to ship it than originally agreed upon". I mean do collectors really sell.?

By definition collecting means: "seeking, locating, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, displaying, storing, and maintaining whatever items are of interest to the individual collector."

and the definition of selling: "the exchange of goods for an agreed sum of money."

and the definition of trading: "the voluntary exchanging of goods, services, or both."

Does a seller collect? Does a collector sell.? Are we not all traders instead.?

Maybe there should be 3 threads, one for "Serious collectors" and one for "Serious sellers" and one for "Serious traders". Or maybe I should be quiet and huff my Jungle Green I paid way too much for and forget about all this mess. Forget it, I'm collecting new system Krylons from now on. Anyone have any leads...?

the only way to solve this problem is to have "paint collectors forum" with subforums like

trading,selling etc etc so the point is that there will be ppl with same interests,if you gonna pay you gonna pay for cans if you gonna trade you will trade,but on forums like this,here will always be some fight about deleted posts,prices,store informations etc etc and random posts from postwhores "GO USE YOUR PAINT,ITS NOT FOR COLLECTING" etc etc moderators are here to moderate,so why noone cant take some care about this thread and remove old red X pictures and random spam posts to keep this thread organized,and to keep all good informations on one place?? why,becouse they dont give a fuck about paint collecting,i am moderator on stuntbike forum and i am there to keep that place organized and to help people,not to keep and act with "moderator" tag under my screen name... this is not attack on someone on this site its just my view. and keep in mind that i am foreigner and that my english sucks.

EDIT : Varivaldi,we cant even keep this thread alive,so try to picture 3 thread about old paint,they will be dead as fuck ^^

I don't know how many real collectors still dig in USA or have dug. In France, and i think i can say in Europe, i'm the only one that have dug for more than one year. I don't know anybody with more than 200 cans in his stash or with complete racks of one brand.

Maybe there is somebody in Germany or Belgium, but i have made a lot of calls on topics or by relationships, and nobody seems to know somebody that's real deep in spray paint cans collecting...

Even when i see the itws on CMC, it's not real collections when it comes to Bates or big names like that, just two old cans here and there...

I know in Australia somebody has a cool stash, pictured in Kings Way graffiti book.

The entire topic should be cleaned, re-written, with all the good infos and pictures, and put on an other site, like CMC.

Some people just don't want spots getting burned....those that are in the know, know. We should keep it that way....

So do you care about the cans themselves or your own collection and pockets? Not for nothing but that statement comes off very greedy like you wanna hoard it all for yourself... I could have sworn it was you years ago saying "it's good that the cans get saved and not thrown away"...

Grape Frost, Watermelon & Gum Drop!!! All these colors rocked, especially Gum Drop! Fuck.. that paint covers as good as any new paint, at least it did before the can designs changed. Painting at any spot that's caked in tags, it covers right over everything first time. Thick, solid, super dope color. Can't beleive how quick those "New Colors" were introduced and then the cans changed. : (

Archived