sketch / finished piece comparisons

sarifs&clips

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at first i really didnt like your work or the style or anything about it lol... but im actually starting to really like it... you paint a lot... if you keep it up your gonna get to the point where that shit looks scary real on the wall and people gonna respect that... keep up that creepy shit

Still got a lot of practice required but I learned a few things on this one:

- Fuck working with yellow paint and fuck Ironlak in general. That shit is USD9 a can here and the yellow is more watery than my piss, I had 2 cans with no pressure at all and the colours vary regardless if it says it's the same colour on the can.

- Buy a step ladder

- wear sun block. Could fry an egg on the back of my neck

that N is borked out to fuck....

6379985347_007bc9e938_z.jpg

fashn atomic OL by jiangtaixi, on Flickr

6450280529_527b85f034_b.jpg

IMG_7709 by jiangtaixi, on Flickr

Ironlak and all those other chinese manufactured paints do suck, but honestly there isnt any brand of spray paint with a bright yellow that has decent opacity. its just one of those colors that its better to use for a trim, highlights, outer, or effects. if you sub out a bright green for it you can get the same contrast level but much better coverage in most brands of paint.

you did pretty good matching up the painting to what you sketched. however.. the sketch needs work badly. the lettering isnt cohesive. when starting out, its better if you keep the letters based off of some established lettering convention. old school chicago heads used to say "carnival letters" or "funk letters" you can get a much more palatable result using a calculated letter spacing, height, and weight. its not the most exciting thing but without it the basis of your graffiti will always be flawed.

the color fades and effects are pretty good though, and the highlight in the dimension is good as well.

this is way way way better. a ton of progression from the last one as far as good proportion and letter spacing, height, and weight. a few hundred more and you'll be painting burners.

gotta get that line weight consistent so each line is the same weight as the next. like some of the outlines are thicker and some are thinner. if they are going to be different it needs to be well planned out and deliberate.

once you really get the hang of it more you can start using variable line weights to add style, but its better to learn to make them all consistent from the beginning. eventually you may decide to give them variations tho.

Went with an established letter convention today and tried my first blockbuster....., should have bought the tape measure with me! borked out on the F, left bars of the S don't match up as I ran out of orange, a bunch of fill doesn't match the lean of the letters and some of the 3D is out of whack.

Fuck a straight line.

6525064581_dcf30c2fb5.jpg

IMG_7877 by jiangtaixi, on Flickr

6525027725_8cd9d7d136_b.jpg

IMG_7862 by jiangtaixi, on Flickr

dont beat yourself up over it. its really hard to do designs that have long parrallel lines. its awesome you are trying out something new all the time. sometimes if you are gonna rock a design with lot of long parrellel lines you can be doing it on a wall with cinder blocks or bricks and use them to cheat.

i like those hands actually. def a cool/interesting piece man. I think the F could be better, if it looked just like it did on the sketch it would fit a lot better, if the bars weren't touching.

and Phoe, that's probably the most innovative and original ones to date, very fresh. There's no one else pushing the boundaries in Jersey right now, props to you for thinking outside the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived