Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

the party is over

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Future Droid, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Future Droid

Future Droid Senior Member

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/01/30/healt...reut/index.html

Drinking joins smoking as cancer risk

Monday, January 30, 2006; Posted: 9:44 a.m. EST (14:44 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Along with smoking and chronic infections, alcohol consumption is an important cause of several types of cancer, researchers said on Monday.

Excessive drinking raises the risk of cancer of the mouth, larynx, oesophagus, liver, colon and breast. It may also be linked with cancer of the pancreas and lung.

"Alcohol is underestimated as a cause of cancer in many parts of the world," said Dr Paolo Boffetta of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) in Lyon, France.

"A sizeable proportion of cancer today is due to alcohol intake and this is increasing in many regions, particularly in east Asia and eastern Europe," he added in an interview.

Boffetta and Mia Hashibe, who reviewed research into the link between alcohol and cancer, found the more alcohol consumed, the higher the risk of developing cancer.

But they advised people to drink moderately, rather than give up alcohol completely, because of its protective benefits against cardiovascular disease.

"Total avoidance of alcohol, although optimum for cancer control, cannot be recommended in terms of broad perspective of public health, in particular in countries with high incidence of cardiovascular disease," Boffetta said in a report in The Lancet Oncology journal.

Instead, the scientists said men and women should limit how much alcohol they drink to reap the benefits but avoid the dangers.

"The most recent version of the European code against cancer recommends keeping daily consumption to two drinks for men and one for women," Boffetta noted.

In developed countries in 2000, the World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that alcohol caused 185,000 deaths in men and 142,000 in women, but it prevented 71,000 male deaths and 277,000 female deaths in the same year.

In developing countries, where there are fewer cases of cardiovascular disease, alcohol was linked with 1.52 million deaths in men and 301,000 in women.

The scientists found that alcohol-related diseases were a particular problem in central and Eastern Europe.

"Alcohol is probably the main factor responsible for increased risk of head and neck cancer recorded in various countries, particularly in central and east Europe," said Boffetta.

Exactly how alcohol increases the odds of developing cancer is not clear but genetic susceptibility is an important component.

"Given the linear dose-response relation between alcohol intake and risk of cancer, control of heavy drinking remains the main target for cancer control," Boffetta added.

2. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

yeah, but does anyone care?

everything causes cancer

3. dobsilla

dobsilla Senior Member

way to rain on the parade. but fuck it i already smoke cigarettes.

4. Future Droid

Future Droid Senior Member

the new data will probably make me drink less. i have had an exceptional amount of people that were close to me die from cancer.

5. YourSistersAssCookie

YourSistersAssCookie Banned

you dont have to go home
    but you sure as shit cant stay here

6. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

fuck it...I have too much invested in my drinking habits. besides...its gonna be like the early days of tobacco related lung cancer. gimme my check.

7. Lonesome Cowboy Bill

Lonesome Cowboy Bill Member

"The most recent version of the European code against cancer recommends keeping daily consumption to two drinks for men and one for women," Boffetta noted.

lately I've been drinking only once a week...and if I read correctly, it says 14 drinks a week, so that averages it out for me...

8. cygnus

cygnus New Jack

exactly

9. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

drinking is bullshit anyways

10. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

11. Some1

Some1 12oz Loyalist

umm you will when some fucking christian group wants to bring back prohibition

[​IMG]

bootlegging for life

12. rubbish heap

rubbish heap Senior Member

shits not gonna stop me from drinking. the way i look at it, you gotta have a balance of fun to everything else.

13. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

actually having nothing all week and then hitting the bars hard for 2 days is probably a lot worse for you than having acouple of drinks a night.

14. el hamburgler

el hamburgler Banned

what would count as one drink? getting drunk? a beer? glass of wine? shot of vodka?
    it might say it in the article but i dont feel like reading it so someone enlighten me

15. Cheddar Bob

Cheddar Bob Member

eh who cares I smoke I drank i'm susposed to stop but I can't