Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account.

The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by misteraven, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

We had something similar in the 1980s called the Australia Card.

It failed and ended up being ridiculed out of existence.

Weird how it's only to be implemented in a small number of states.

2. outlawvandal1211

outlawvandal1211 New Jack

yes I dropped out of my home set which was a corperate hang out for Lifetime Co. which was Eugene,Oregons own LKM/TOL/UPS/XXX.1996-2018.FOR a few years appeal in my counts as a graffiti writer to the feds.
    I switched the appropriations to intraject as a LIFETIMER and absconded with Claymore,Chris (us two Big Timers) .just to repeat that in manhattan LEWY KATSU MALVO SKERT are up too.Dr. sexxx meanwhile joined DFM out here in Chicago AND abroad.
    hour boasts aL like I am a proponent to Ai.Heath ledger died so I sent word to Colin Farrell to open up the plaza in Lebenon Oregon with Leonardo DiCaprio.No one got suited though.
    my best boy Koss suited em up in the Staties for BTM ups, TOL LKM.BIDNT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT BTB tho.I bought a 1333 mina is all and all why I failed and sold out to DUPONT.and wanna trade DC-5 for MSK.any help there for those in the know message me and don't expect an instant reply.ask Revok about C 30..................................................................Creeper and Enougher.wsc,wslk

3. outlawvandal1211

outlawvandal1211 New Jack

twelve eleven thirteen,home star,the seventh letter all support retna and steven lopez.saberone.com
    hazer and dut.hso.free jel,tko,mta,fw,al,ai,lk,msg

4. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

5. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

Joined: Jun 16, 2007 Messages: 14,154 Likes Received: 1,005
  6. deth5hit

deth5hit New Jack

Wrong thread maybe?

7. deth5hit

deth5hit New Jack

Yeah, Raven I understand the snow thing living in Valdez Alaska for almost three years. It is a small town of 4k until fishing season, so not exactly rural but at the end of the road. Google Valdez damalanch, I was there when that happened. I didn't notice anything different because I try to always be prepared. Yes, a get home, 72 hour, or bugout bag is very important to own. A few hundred dollars well spent that can literally save your life.

misteraven likes this.
  8. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

Just googled it... Definitely looks like a place that gets cold, LOL!

9. fat ralphy

fat ralphy Dirty Dozen Crew

I am so in the rat race it is insane - the only upside is that I own my crib in the Bay Area. Mortgage payments are like 1/3 of what rent costs.

My union gig pays well - and puts me in line for a pension.

At the same time, I hear what most of you are saying 100% - one of my best buds is going through serious cancer treatment which makes me realize you have to do what makes you happy. No guarantees.

Life is a trip - the grass always seems greener but it doesn't matter if you consistently appreciate what you have.

10. Steel Schnauzer

Steel Schnauzer Dirty Dozen Crew

Word I lost two friends this year both worth a couple million your tomorrows are never promised today so live each day to the fullest.

11. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

Hit up [email protected] if you have an old account you'd like to recover.

*Now back on topic...

12. DETO

DETO Dirty Dozen Crew

@misteraven DOPE PICS A FEW PAGES BACK... I THINK YOU’D REALLY LOVE IT HERE (TAOS, NM) I LIVE UP IN THE MOUNTAINS IN NORTHERN NEW MEXICO. SMALL, QUIET, ARTSY TOWN.
    LIVE A FAIRLY SIMPLE LIFE, IM A ELEM. STEM TEACHER, GOT A GREAT WIFE, 2 AMAZING KIDS (9 & 2) SPEND THE SPRING AND SUMMER HIKING, TRAVELING, HITTING THE FARMERS MARKET EVERY SATURDAY EITHER BEFORE OR AFTER OUR WEEKLY SOCCER GAMES. SPEND THE WINTER WORKING AND BOARDING ONE OF ILLIST MOUNTAINS IN THE NATION. (TAOS SKI VALLY) COACHING MY SONS BASKETBALL TEAM AND VEGGING OUT AS A FAMILY AT THE MOVIE THEATER OR AT HOME. WE’RE ABOUT TO BUILD OUR NEW HOME THIS SUMMER. MY WIFE HAS FREE REIGN AS LONG AS WE GET SOME BUILT IN BOOKSHELVES IN THE FAMILY ROOM AND I GET MY MAN CAVE. WE’RE DOING ALL OLD SCHOOL ADOBE AND VIGAS (GOOGLE THEM)

Pistol likes this.
  13. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

That's awesome man, congratulations to you on having pulled off this move. I'm living a fairly similar existence, except in the mountains of NW Montana just outside Glacier National Park. Looking forward to May when the local farmers markets open. Always fun to check out and always good food and friendly people. We didn't build our house, but figuring if I have a few more good years in me that I'd likely push out even deeper into the mountains, buy a couple hundred acre spread that has a variation on wooded and pasture land with some sort of river or lake access and put up a nice simple place. In the meantime, have a really awesome home though and already living on a pretty decent size chunk or property that also happens to be on water.

In any case, hoping you might take some photos and share and get into a little more about any farming / homesteading / sustainability stuff you guys might be doing?

Regardless, welcome back to the boards and thanks for sharing.

14. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

Just bumping my thread since those of you living rural should be pretty well into setting up spring gardens. We're finally past the snow out my way, but still not past last frost so for now all the plant starts are indoors.

Recently bought another 12 chickens so doubled our flock size. Can't find any decent deals on heritage pigs so that plan hasn't seen the light of day yet.

Anyhow, anyone else out there with news to share? Any of you guys considering the move out of the city to your own land any further with the plan?

Some recent photos to keep the thread a little more visual...

IMG_0789-1.jpg

IMG_0602-1.jpg

IMG_1053-1.jpg

IMG_0936-1.jpg

IMG_0594-1.jpg

IMG_0587-1.jpg

IMG_0565-1.jpg

IMG_0667-1.jpg

15. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

Keep bringing the photos. Like the deer outside the window, have had that scene before. More animal shots, you got bears and mountain lions out there. Trail cam would probably be pretty sweet.
    Like the ducks, you worried about predators trying to get at your birds?
    I'm on the edge of the grid. Head off grid a few times a year.
    A scene from today:

IMG_2776.JPG

misteraven likes this.