The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

Wasn't having much problems with deer until now, first it was just a few leaves of a couple kale plants, now theyve eaten all my kale and romaine that was going and have eaten branches of other shit too..I'm too broke to install a fence so ive put some soap shavings down around the area to see if that helps repel them for now..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Haven’t tried, but supposedly predator urine works. Check amazon, they actually sell coyote and wolf urine for that. Must be an interesting story how they get it, but supposedly works. 

I have made it a point to piss on the perimeter of my fence line anytime I feel the urge while I’m out there. Figure it couldn’t hurt. 

Relatively cheap, they make some deterrents with ground hot pepper you can find in the hardware stores with the other pest abatement shit.  Think you can get a spray to put on leaves as well as something ground to put around the plants.  Obviously wash well after handling/before eating.

Don't know about urine.  In one recent set of trailcam shots I used some fox piss a bunch of times, I know, not an apex predator.  From my shots you can see, no fox.  But every other animal appeared attracted to it, coyote, bobcat, deer, etc.  I don't think it's much of a deterrent since these animals walk amongst each other in nature.  As was pointed out to me, using your own urine doesn't do much even though I have tried similar things.  Reason was, humans don't use their piss for marking territory and such (well, most don't) so the scent has no real meaning to animals.

@simon sandleshit you can get wire bells that go over lettuce and such to make it last, or make your own with chicken wire.  You could probably bootleg something with sticks and string but a determined deer will bully through that.

They do sell a few devices that seem to work. One is called a scarecrow and it’s just a motion sensor attached to a lawn spray. Deers trigger it and then get sprayed with water. Works great, but you need a few. Other is called a predator eye. It’s a small electronic device that’s basically a small solar panel, battery, light sensor and LED. At dusk it blinks a red light until dawn. Supposedly mimics the glint IG light from a predators retina and triggers an instinct to stay away.

Anyhow, I have a couple of them setup, but also have an 8 ft game fence that I pee along, so unsure what actually keeps them from eating my garden. That said, it’s not unusual to see 30+ deer in my field at almost anytime, so whatever does the trick is working. 

A couple weeks back I was leaning against the edge of my deck watching a beautiful sunset. A moment after I'd  started pissing through the railing my wife came out and hugged me from behind and said something about how lucky we are to have this view, and then realized what I was doing. Then she had the audacity to blame ME for ruining the moment 

• Props 1
  • LOL! 3

16 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

@simon sandleshit you can get wire bells that go over lettuce and such to make it last, or make your own with chicken wire.  You could probably bootleg something with sticks and string but a determined deer will bully through that.

good idea to make little ones that go around the individual plants. i have some scrap chicken wire laying around somewhere i may try to install something tomorrow. ..ill have to choose the best plants to try and save haha

I was actually hiking and stopped at a lake that was along the trail, found a fire ring where someone camped and they left behind a bottle of coyote scent. too bad i discarded it.

thanks for the advice..i already piss in my yard anyway, doesnt seem to have any effect haha

Edited by simon sandleshit

Busy week up here... Spring chickens layed their first egg. Was tiny and in the dirt instead of a nesting box, but they’ll dial it in and produce real eggs by the end of the month. Also started harvesting more than just greens. Beets and squash did great, definitely planning to expand that for next year. Strawberries I planted a little while back (see previous posts) are doing incredible! Almost too sweet. Also, we started cutting our alfalfa fields yesterday, so it’ll dry for a few days, get flipped once and dry a few more days before getting baled and taken to market. Since the pasture is all cut, all the spring fawns are no longer hidden and running around all over. Lots of bucks running around and deep population in general looks to be exploding. They’ve totally lost their winter coats and are all a deep rusty red as they gorge and get ready for next snow, which is only 3 months or so off from now. 

74E1AB25-FD32-4DD6-BA09-00C688836FA2.thumb.jpeg.1957a9531f316e633083ecb0230ebdff.jpeg

15F71F4D-DD9E-4542-9816-61CA1F40B19D.thumb.jpeg.8d3cc7040ba9a26a3ea8f05377286874.jpeg

DB028677-B0AA-4414-BA4E-957D9532A1D4.thumb.jpeg.a41d72670f8f3429226efbac12f4435b.jpeg

D6B1A5AA-2F58-43F1-B91F-514089078E0F.thumb.jpeg.43ca492b028c85c0e6e814764c347d67.jpeg

86DBD830-B15B-44D9-AFB1-934577AB5930.thumb.jpeg.c6643d758b32d6defb0e9145552a6dc7.jpeg

• Props 1

Damn those veggies all look dope. I cant waittil later when the huckleberries are ready for picking. 

I live in city limits but my house does give me some space to work with. My rental agency doesnt seem to give a fuck about what goes on with the property as long as rents paid. So i may construxt a better bed next season.

The city cut up a tree after it fell in a storm so i hauled the logs to my house and used them as walls for a garden. I filled it with a bunch of different types of soil due to my budget and started everything from seed in the soil once i assumed frost had passed.

1st photo is from the beginning of june..looks different now. Bed is 20 feet long by 5 feet wide. Left to right: carrots, spinach, romaine, cucumber, kale, tomatoes, got pole beans and snap peas that didnt make the flick 

2nd - lil planter of cilantro sage and basil, cilantro has mostly taken over. Started from seed

3rd - romaine, which has now been eaten by deer

ACDDE3C0-1255-4E28-97E8-BC4790E54D57.jpeg

9470A928-E04F-43F3-8052-36A147561064.jpeg

10A759C2-A7C1-429F-AE89-5DB863C483BB.jpeg

Edited by simon sandleshit
  • Props 1

Wow, looks great man. Good for you fordoing all that and extra props for finding smart solutions without dropping bank. 

You can look up last frost and climate zones and all that online. I’ve found it helps a ton to find people in your area that are growing stuff and just sort of following their lead. 

Mind if I ask what general area you’re in? Obviously a huge difference growing in the Deep South versus way up North. 

Regardless, looks like you’re doing a great job with it. Suggest you figure out that deep situation cause they’ll absolutely be back. Surprised they didn’t wipe you out completely already. 

im in southwestern montana! i looked at frost dates and when to sow the seeds and what not but its always so difficult to tell because I've seen it snow in late may here - so its always dicey even if the farmers almanac or whatever predicts it. However this year I guess I lucked out. 

I am gonna set up some like cans on on strings with bb's or something inside so when they run into them they make noise.  I think that might work, might just be a waste of time; I am not really sure. All I have left worth saving are cucumbers that are still kinda behind, the snap peas, carrots(if rabbits don't eat them first), some arugula thats a late bloomer but coming up quick, and the tomatoes (mostly)

Oh wow, no shit... We should grab a beer or something sometime. You ever come up North? Maybe DM if you want to discuss. 

Yeah, last frost here was June 22. I’m still seeing the mountains gettting dusted so I feel you on that. 

Home Depot sells netting that might be a good solution for you. Link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/7-ft-x-100-ft-Deer-Block-Netting-889553A/202267888

$50 but it’s 7 x 100ft. They have a cheaper version but it sucks. This once I linked you to will work though. 

Yeah, my tomatoes are way late. Not sure they’ll make it before it snows again. Sake for Shishito peppers, which I sort of went into knowing it was unlikely. At least I have those in planters so I’ll move them inside, but the lack of sun will still probably keep them stunted. Definitely plan to put up a hoophouse or green house when I can and also planning on some grow lights in the basement so I can start my tomato and some stuff way early. 

Another thing I sort of screwed up on is not keeping a journal. Really helps to jot down dates and progress so you can review the following year and dial things in tighter. Couldn’t remember what never sprouted or when other stuff actually did sprout. But this year was a mess with all the work I had to deal with before I could even get to planting. Never got my new raised beds built, missed the cutoff to buy local compost, etc. 

Still really happy with how it’s gone, all things considered. 

Yeah, journals are super helpful so you can refer back to what worked and what didn’t. Even basic shit like trying to remember what exactly you planted, when and where.  

No, didn’t do it myself. No time really and it’s just too much money worth of equipment for where I’m at. Not to mention even knowing what to do throughout. We cut a sharecrop deal with someone and did a 40/60 split on the crop. 

Reality is that working the land (properly) improves it. Helps build fertility and keep out noxious weeds like Canadian thistle, which has been creeping in. We already have fairly cheap property tax due to being zoned for agriculture, but if you meet the income requirements for active agriculture, your obligation the following year is 50% less. 

• 2 weeks later...

So been botching to the family that our birds are getting sloppy and not laying in the nesting boxes like they’re supposed to. During the good weather months, I free range them. Makes for happier, healthier birds when they spend their days foraging and also cuts the cost of feed dramatically. But last few weeks I’ve seen their egg production decline, when right now is supposed to be the busiest time of year. Knew they had to have some hidden nest or something but couldn’t find it. 

Then digging through my fromt garden (about 120 yards from their coop), I find two wild duck nests full of eggs. Assume they aren’t viable eggs since the ducks aren’t being broody, so now need to figure out an egg heavy recipe since I have a huge surplus. Here’s what I pulled out of the garden. Sort of feels like Easter when you’re literally hunting eggs in bushes. 

F57892E0-AA1B-44EC-AFBF-4AEA0B895654.thumb.jpeg.6732335efb6cc88b83eca09622aca42e.jpeg

wow just read this thread from start to finish.

You guys are really doing it well.

I am not sure why I considered it similar but when I moved away from Sydney part of the rationale was to be more connected  with the natural world ( but how I figured I was going to achieve that living in another urban area is beyond me)

I grow

Beets,

carrots

Eggplant,

Peas,

Brussel sprouts 

Potatoes.

Strawberries

Blueberries 

Broad Beans

Corn in summer

plus I have orange & lemon trees in my yard

As well as a really bedraggled peach tree.

None of it is going well  but I expected that.

Potatoes fucking suck they do so well and then a hint of frost and they go pffffft.

Peas do so well but My 2 year old sits there scoffing them and I never get any.

Chickens will get purchased have a run below the citrus trees and roam the backyard but after the summer ( need to go away on a family holiday first).

And as far as being close to nature we've seen loads of Koalas cruising the neighbour hood and had one in the back garden. these are from November and January

they are very territorial so often you see younger males roaming looking for a new territory because they get a touch shirty when they have competition.

IMG_4934.JPG

92027535-32EB-42EA-9522-5CC7903686D2.JPG

• Like 1

@Schnitzelnice man, post some shots of the garden when you can get to it. 

Id really love to expand what I have going, but need more time and more funds. Sucks because it’s relatively easy to mostly automate and expand things... Get some drip irrigation going, more raised beds, etc. Also wish I could magically accelerate the maturity of my fruit orchard. Put in just over a dozen trees last year ranging from cherry to apricot, peach and nectarines, as well as several types of apple. Still plan to put in a few more including plum and pear, but it’ll be a solid half decade or longer before any produce fruit. Berries are going great though, so going to expand the shut out of that in the meantime.