The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

Cue up Merle Haggard's - "Big City."

First time checking the forum in quite some time, was instantly attracted to this thread. Recently made the solo move from a small city in the northeast, to a major city in the west, and i'm reaffirming old notions that I hate cities. The most at peace I've felt since I've been here was when i took the train as far out of the city as possible and walked along this river for a couple hours. It was great. For years i wanted to move more off the grid, or into the country i suppose. Not as far as to not have running water/electricity, but far enough that i can't see someone else's house from my yard. Being single, if i went that far into no mans land I'd for sure go looney tunes. Recently it's been popping back into my head to save as much as possible while i'm here, and start trying to make these old dreams a reality. I've never been one to care for shiny things, so giving up stuff like that wouldn't be an issue, and as long as i make money to acquire what i need to live, and maybe travel here and there, i'll be good. I've also recently been getting into archery. I've shot a few times in the past and recently decided to take a quick little lesson to learn "proper form," and plan on buying a compound bow in the future. The idea of hunting my own meat has been steadily growing on me for a while now. Hopefully I can make good on this within the next year or so.

Having your own chickens for eggs is incredible, and elk meat is some glorious stuff. I like to make bbq elk meatballs from time to time, y'all should give it a try if you can. (I've read that the more you handle elk meat the tougher it can get, fyi.)

The photos, stories, and information here is rad. I've wanted to get back to Montana ever since I drove straight through it from Sioux Falls to Seattle many years ago. I haven't gone through it but i saw KIR's thread is still kicking, that was also great material

Lastly, splitting the firewood is definitely the best part Raven, I agree. Growing up it was one of my favorite things to do while camping. I even used to like watching log chopping competitions and shit like that, haha. (fucking neeerd.)

Yeah man, follow your gut on that. Appreciate your appreciation for my post and photos. If you ever head back through this way, shoot me a DM. We'll grill some nice steaks and kick it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah, the ballcap might be a bit tight in the last para but as an ex-soldier that has lived off what I can carry and find for long perriods of time the rest makes a lot of sense to me for those who live remotely.

How big is your chest freezer and what's it like on power? Been thinking of getting one myself for numerous reasons......, one of them being brewing.

I live in suburbia but still ove building up a wood pile, splitting and seasoning it so I can sit out the back around a fire reading a book and drinking stout in the dead of winter (which only gets to the depths of 20*F, not really comparable to Montana, no snow either). I love collecting and chopping wood, I don't know why, it just feels good.

I've also had my dad encouraging me recently to buy a chest freezer and buy meat in bulk from a butcher. It is a great idea and I'm totally with you on the idea of having five frozen turkeys and not playing the turkey race in the grocery stores.

I have to say I'm curious about your other hygiene products you're particular about Misteraven. Can you talk about those and why you like them so much? I know you mentioned a lemon bliss soap and the reason I bring it up is because I'm kinda of picky about everything in my life.

Splitting wood with my dad has been a very fun thing to do. He explained to me that it was therapeutic almost to him to cut up a tree using a chainsaw. I guess we haven't really split the logs but we do a lot of cutting since we have a friend with a pretty sizeable piece of property with oak trees all over it. There is quite frequently a large tree that will fall on it's own during a storm or for some other reason. The guy has more firewood than he can handle as it is so he just calls us since we're old family friends and we go out there and cut up a tree and load as much wood as we can take. We're getting a fallen tree out of his way for him that he doesn't have to cut up himself and we're getting a truck load of firewood out of the deal. A nice chainsaw (I have a 18" husqavarna like the one pictured a few pages back) makes all the difference too.

I have a pretty sweet Honda EU2000i generator I bought for camping and to run my fish tanks when our shitty power grid goes out in a storm and my battery back UPS run out. I feel like if I had land and built my own house on it I'd want a large diesel generator outside hooked into the power for the home so that we have instant power in an outage like a datacenter has. I realize this will be expensive but I also realize I'm going to find a way to be very comfortable later on in life. I actually think it'd be cool to have some sort of underground bunker too with a tunnel connected to the basement in the house.... or a fuckin sweet ass trap door hidden somewhere in the house. Anyway, I don't want to derail too much. Do any of you have generators for emergencies?

• Like 1

Yeah, the ballcap might be a bit tight in the last para but as an ex-soldier that has lived off what I can carry and find for long perriods of time the rest makes a lot of sense to me for those who live remotely.

How big is your chest freezer and what's it like on power? Been thinking of getting one myself for numerous reasons......, one of them being brewing.

I live in suburbia but still ove building up a wood pile, splitting and seasoning it so I can sit out the back around a fire reading a book and drinking stout in the dead of winter (which only gets to the depths of 20*F, not really comparable to Montana, no snow either). I love collecting and chopping wood, I don't know why, it just feels good.

Ha!

My chest freezer is the largest they had: 21.7 cu ft.

All appliances have an energy rating so you can look it up and do the math against what they charge in your area for energy. That being said, I've managed to get my electric bill down $125 a month. I'm not going to go into detail, but I have a very large house and also a guest house / cottage. I have several computers running 24/7 and regularly run strobe lights for photography. This is literally 1/4th of what it used to cost in NYC for a place that was about 1/4th the size of the main house and not counting the rest, so figure 400% difference. Also, Lowes had a deal where they had zero % 4 year financing on washer and dryers. Mine we're fine, but were probably from the late 1990s. I looked up the energy rating for them online, found articles discussing the top 5 energy consumers in most homes (washer / dryer is number 2 or 3 depending on the list with the refrigerator usually taking the 1 spot) and then multiplied against the tiered scale of energy pricing in my area. Turns out the energy saving between the appliances I had, compared against brand new top end, high efficiency Samsung appliances was fairly significant. As such, the energy saving per month, meant that after about 20 months or so, the savings equaled the cost of the appliances. With 0% for 4 years, that meant even with a 4 year extended warranty, the appliances would pay for themselves before I'd ever have to pay more than the sticker price on it.So essentially I got them for free as far as I see it, as lowes handed them over and the payments on them were easily covered with my monthly saving from them during that same month. Win!

My dishwasher and refrigerator are from about the same era so now just waiting on a similar sale, though I haven't done the math to see if it works out quite the same.

But yeah, assume the freezer must do well as it had a gold star energy rating and my bill is so low.

Yeah, chopping wood can almost be therapeutic. Fresh air, hard work swing an axe so you get a little exercise and expel a bit of energy and frustration.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

I've also had my dad encouraging me recently to buy a chest freezer and buy meat in bulk from a butcher. It is a great idea and I'm totally with you on the idea of having five frozen turkeys and not playing the turkey race in the grocery stores.

I have to say I'm curious about your other hygiene products you're particular about Misteraven. Can you talk about those and why you like them so much? I know you mentioned a lemon bliss soap and the reason I bring it up is because I'm kinda of picky about everything in my life.

Splitting wood with my dad has been a very fun thing to do. He explained to me that it was therapeutic almost to him to cut up a tree using a chainsaw. I guess we haven't really split the logs but we do a lot of cutting since we have a friend with a pretty sizeable piece of property with oak trees all over it. There is quite frequently a large tree that will fall on it's own during a storm or for some other reason. The guy has more firewood than he can handle as it is so he just calls us since we're old family friends and we go out there and cut up a tree and load as much wood as we can take. We're getting a fallen tree out of his way for him that he doesn't have to cut up himself and we're getting a truck load of firewood out of the deal. A nice chainsaw (I have a 18" husqavarna like the one pictured a few pages back) makes all the difference too.

I have a pretty sweet Honda EU2000i generator I bought for camping and to run my fish tanks when our shitty power grid goes out in a storm and my battery back UPS run out. I feel like if I had land and built my own house on it I'd want a large diesel generator outside hooked into the power for the home so that we have instant power in an outage like a datacenter has. I realize this will be expensive but I also realize I'm going to find a way to be very comfortable later on in life. I actually think it'd be cool to have some sort of underground bunker too with a tunnel connected to the basement in the house.... or a fuckin sweet ass trap door hidden somewhere in the house. Anyway, I don't want to derail too much. Do any of you have generators for emergencies?

Honestly having a stock like that is great. Just always knowing you're covered. People almost unanimously agree that health insurance / car insurance / home insurance / life insurance is a good thing. The responsible thing... Then look at you like a kook when they find out that you decide to keep a few weeks to a few months worth of food and essential product on hand in case it sells out, you're too busy to run out and get it or you find yourself a little tight for a while and can't afford the good (or normal shit) for a period of time. Makes no sense to me. Like I said, in the USA at least, the Fed targets a 4% inflation that they acknowledge publicly. Most consumers will know this is bullshit, but there's plenty of credible economists that break it down and show that its really more in the 7 - 8% range. The Fed doesn't factor in fuel or groceries into their calculations - two of the things most often bought and a significant expense for any independent adult - so its pretty obvious they're playing games with their formula for calculating it.

This being said, between that fact, assuming you have a reserve that's measure in 6 months or more, coupled with the fact that you're only increasing your inventories when you can get the best possible price on it to begin with, the saving over time is pretty significant. But again, the peace of mind it offers is probably just as valuable. Especially after the first time you suddenly find yourself out of a job suddenly and unexpectedly or that you fucked yourself somehow and have a fairly long recovery. Two possible scenarios that are every bit as likely as crashing your car (car insurance). Probably much more likely than your house being robbed (home insurance) or you finding yourself suddenly dead (life insurance).

Reality is that the further down the ladder you are, the more likely you'll find yourself in a jam where not having to buy groceries for a month is a huge relief. And like I said, its not like you save $10k and then suddenly stock up... It's more like you like a certain soup or something you buy regularly, then see a huge sale where it's buy 1 get one free, so you throw down what you can easily afford at that time. Incrementally you keep doing this and you reach a point where you've bought more than you can consume within a span of time and before you run out, the next sale is happening so you re-up some more.

In regards to the products I've mentioned.

Bliss Lemon+Sage soap: https://www.apothecarie.com/products/bliss-lemon-sage-bar-104-45832?utm_medium=cpc

LOL, shit just smells awesome. Citrusy and clean. Has oatmeal or something so it exfoliates as you wash. My wife got some for christmas one year from a family member or something and then would buy it on occasion. I always loved it, but its expensive. Then I noticed once they had it on clearance at TJ Maxx so I bought all they had (like 5 bars). Next time I didn't see it and then much later, they had them again so I bought all of them. Now I check it every time I'm nearby and if they have any, I buy all of them. Usually for $2.50 - $4 a bar or so compared to $9 - $12 (they come in two sizes with small being the equivalent of a big bar like Lever2000). Skin is all dry and itchy like I get with regular soap like Lever2000 (especially in very cold climates) because it isn't packed full of chemicals.

K+S Men's Shampoo and Conditioner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JB6R7NM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Think I stumbled on this after looking for Men's Shampoo. Its super fresh and tingly feeling I think from the Tea Tree Oil. Also has a crisp sort of minty / eucalyptus type scent, but not overpowering. Made in the USA and no animal testing. Prevents any itchy scalp or dandruff (again due to Tea Tree oil). Good stuff, but hard to find.

Ahi Grade Tuna Steak (not linked)

My local supermarket has specials on tuna steak every so often for $3.99 for about 0.75 lb inch thick tuna steak. That awesome, deep red type tuna that you see in sushi restaurants and that costs a grip every time. Its sold in vacuum sealed bags and freezes very well. I buy almost all of it when I see it on sale, then use a cast iron ribbed pan to sear it. I then out this over fresh salad greens grown organically on my homestead (costs nothing and tastes 10x better than even the local organic stuff because I literally pick it just before making my salad. I mix that with fresh virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon or lime, grate some sea salt a fresh black pepper. Add a black / white sesame seed mix and then drizzle Modena balsamic glaze over all of it. An epic meal that takes about 5 minutes to whip up and is extremely healthy. In total, it probably costs me under $5 a plate with the balsamic glaze and tuna being most of it. (I use balsamic glaze on a ton of stuff. It can be pricey at $8 - $20 a bottle - and though low in carbs is still much higher than normal balsamic - but makes everything taste "gourmet". I also stock up on that when its on sale, but haven't yet narrowed it down to a specific brand. All seem to be really good).

Pumpkin Spice Cheerios: https://www.target.com/p/pumpkin-spice-cheerios-cereal-12-oz-general-mills/-/A-51111729

No longer on my diet, but used to love this shit. Maybe it speaks to my inner white boy, but shit is just so good. Usually only sold in the Fall leading up to holiday, so you can get it dumb cheap once the holidays are over. If not opened, it has a super long shelf life.

Harney & Sons Fine Tea: https://www.harney.com/

My dickhead ex business partner from England got me on tea as an alternative to espresso. Through him and because I'm sort of like that anyways, I became kind of a tea snob. I don't drink coffee, but do love espresso (espresso actually tastes the way coffee smells) but in both instances if its not quality and specific varieties, I wont settle. Loose leaf tea is far superior as most bagged teas is the shake left over from loose tea, but H&S is next level. Target stocks the bagged kind and its often on sale. Sometimes I can get it on clearance for like 75% in which I'll buy all they have since even the non-favorite flavors are really good and because they make great gifts for that last second gesture when you forgot or overlooked an occasion. The SOHO blend is an absolute favorite: https://www.harney.com/products/soho-tea-blend-chocolate-and-coconut with the Matcha a very close second: https://www.harney.com/products/matcha

So probably boring you motherfuckers to death with my girly alter ego, so I'll leave it at that.

Enjoy!

• LOL! 1

I just came back to the oonze after many years to check it out. Honestly I probably wouldnt of signed back up (cant access old acct) if it werent for this thread.

I have since lived in Montana, Missoula and Valdez Alaska.

I have changed a lot in these past years and have been putting a lot of effort learning to be self sufficent. However, I have always been into camping with everything I need to survive carrying all I need to do so in a bag on my back.

Here in a month or so I will be disconnecting from the society norm and will attempt to live as a trotter, or maybe a better description will be survivalist.

Anyways I just wanted to stop in and say hi, I will get more into specifics, talkin gear and posting pictures.

Talk soon...

• Like 2

Very much appreciate hearing all this. Glad that we’re putting up compelling topics again. Other day I was just telling someone that though it’s a small and select group, it’s really starting to feel like the old 12oz to me again. Honestly I’m just as excited when I get a notification that there’s a new comment in one of the threads I’m watching.

Two things... Firstly, DM me or email info@12ozprophet.com because we can recover any and all old accounts. We worked hard to preserve all that data, so anyone lurking that has an old account... Just hit us up with as much detail as you can remember. Secondly, dude... you have to drop some detail... would love to hear more about what led you down that path and especially your experience with it so far. Sounds like you’re a lot further along than what any of us have tried so far, so yeah... Let’s hear some stories about that adventure! Bonus if you can share a few photos as well. What worked, what didn’t. How’s it been going and what’s it like?

Congrats to you for chasing the dream instead of just talking about it.

• Like 1

For sure Raven. The dream is almost a reality, thank you. I will be updating soon... First, I have to purchase a few things, buyout my lease, and find a home for almost everything I own then I am on my way. My federal tax return just hit my bank account an hour or two ago so I am ready.

• Like 1

For sure Raven. The dream is almost a reality, thank you. I will be updating soon... First, I have to purchase a few things, buyout my lease, and find a home for almost everything I own then I am on my way. My federal tax return just hit my bank account an hour or two ago so I am ready.

Congrats man... Good for you! Do your thing and hit the thread when you come up for air. Looking forward to hearing your story and hopefully seeing some pictures. Good luck!

Some shots from last week for those following along.

Warmed up a bunch, so back into positive digits. Last week we saw 3 or 4 days of negative temps. -11 during the day and -25 at night. For those not familiar with that type of extreme temperature, at about -5 or so, anything exposed to the air either burns or throbs after 10 minutes. When you breath at -10, the vapor in your breath literally freezes on contact so you get this weird crunchy feeling in your nose and throat. Not sure how the wildlife survives it, but my flock of chickens and ducks seem to be coping just fine.

Posted a picture of my pole barn and a shot of USP making a delivery to give you perspective on how deep the snow is. The drifts in some areas are almost hitting the roof of my house. Everywhere else its even with the bottom of the windows or starting to cover them up. I had to shovel out a trench between waist and shoulder deep so we can get in and out of the house.

Anyhow, its definitely fun stuff and certainly makes you appreciate the different seasons.

The other pictures are from close by. A doctor that lives locally (has two teenage kids) got lost in that the Saturday before last. Obviously he's no longer alive, but a lot of teams are out scouring the mountains looking to recover his body. Circling back to the idea of preparedness, a lot of people of that mindset have what they call "go bags" or "get home" bags. Probably best description is a 72 hour bag. Though it's doubtful that you might need one cause the zombie apocalypse kicks off, in a place like where I live, it's very possible to slide off the road into a ditch or into a forest. Being so remote, its also possible to not have anyone drive by for 12 - 48 hours, if that. With as much snow as we get, evidence of that could disappear inside of 15 minutes, let alone what the result would be hours later. As such, everyone here keeps 72 hour bags as you'd be in a world of hurt if you had to spend the night in your car without some basics. Thats just one scenario, but there's a tons of shit that can go sideways on you in a remote area where man isn't at the top of the food chain.

That said, its just as possible that you can find yourself evacuated (as happened to many in CA this year between wild fires and mud slides). In other places, they've had trains derail that were carrying toxic chemicals that forced evacuations for days, if not weeks. Take a look at a map of your area and see how many nuclear power plants are within 150 miles of you and do a little research on historic wind patterns to see if you fall within a fall out zone. Obviously theres a ton that can go wrong and nobody is proposing that you live your live paranoid, but if you believe enough to have other types of insurance, why not spend a couple hundred on a quality bag and supplies that can make all the difference should something go wrong?

IMG_9329-1.thumb.jpg.9339f2dc4cdb0e3d5426f3a6c824e6ef.jpg

IMG_9347-1.thumb.jpg.f2ee78fd4bd2e4ead12ece8bd936dac9.jpg

IMG_9457-1.thumb.jpg.85750603b27a6ba0097fd32c27fd0600.jpg

IMG_9458-1.thumb.jpg.5bab3bfb0e474619cddaa498c421f53e.jpg

• Like 1

Great thread. That last photo is amazing.

Raven, what made you want to go with Montana? I live in northern California and have been searching for land way up north and in Oregon. I’m not ready to make the jump to remote living just yet but hope to down the road. I’ve ridden freights through glacier and whitefish a long time ago and it was some of the coolest parts of the US i’ve seen. I was a little surprised that land there seems to be pretty pricey though if it’s not just raw land. Did you find that to be the case?

• Like 1

Great thread. That last photo is amazing.

Raven, what made you want to go with Montana? I live in northern California and have been searching for land way up north and in Oregon. I’m not ready to make the jump to remote living just yet but hope to down the road. I’ve ridden freights through glacier and whitefish a long time ago and it was some of the coolest parts of the US i’ve seen. I was a little surprised that land there seems to be pretty pricey though if it’s not just raw land. Did you find that to be the case?

It was dumb luck to be honest. I'd narrowed it down to a handful of states, but my plan was to move to Wyoming. Originally, my plan was to stay in downtown NYC and get a hobby farm or something upstate or in PA. After recent changes in some of the legislation in those areas, that in my opinion took a turn for the worse, it seemed to me that things would just continue to move in the wrong direction. I've been going shooting out in Wyoming for several years and had a few friends out that way so that was my goal. Wound up moving to CA because I was weary moving my two kids to somewhere so remote and as a compromise to my wife and hated it. Its a beautiful state, but congested, expensive and even further along than nearly all the others in encroaching on people's individual freedoms. Attitudes often sucked and taxes are among the worst in the nation. Lost the place I was renting when my douche bag neighbor bought it to turn into a gym, which forced my hand. Used that to put up a pretty good argument with my wife to leave the state, considering how little money stretched out there. Anyhow, NW Wyoming is really expensive (Ironically due to so many CA leaving top go there), so she didn't see any properties she liked enough to move rural (at least in our budget). After researching old Western / Cowboy town, our current town came up with all kinds of great reviews and write ups. SO she looked at properties online and stumbled on the place we wound up with. Before moving, we looked at factors like taxes, schools, medical care and a lot of other things and all checked out pretty far above average. In hindsight, we got super lucky. I dont have a lot of experience buying property and wasn't well familiar with the local market. Most of what we did was uncharted territory for us, but in the end turned out to be the best possible move for us. Not sure I could have done it any sooner or any different and not everything is 100% perfect, but I'm totally content for the first time in my life and truly love my life out here.

On a somewhat related note, my wife sent me this link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/96162418

Governor of Montana basically told the Federal Government to go fuck in regards to their RealID initiative, so they turned around and said Montana drivers license are no longer acceptable identification for anything federal, including airline flights out of state or entrance to federal building within the state.

Crazy times man... Hope more and more people wake up and start considering how to put themselves in a stable position before the carpet gets jerked out from under them.

FullSizeRender-4.thumb.jpg.6462ace5845223df4687b3671f755e4f.jpg

yes I dropped out of my home set which was a corperate hang out for Lifetime Co. which was Eugene,Oregons own LKM/TOL/UPS/XXX.1996-2018.FOR a few years appeal in my counts as a graffiti writer to the feds.

I switched the appropriations to intraject as a LIFETIMER and absconded with Claymore,Chris (us two Big Timers) .just to repeat that in manhattan LEWY KATSU MALVO SKERT are up too.Dr. sexxx meanwhile joined DFM out here in Chicago AND abroad.

hour boasts aL like I am a proponent to Ai.Heath ledger died so I sent word to Colin Farrell to open up the plaza in Lebenon Oregon with Leonardo DiCaprio.No one got suited though.

my best boy Koss suited em up in the Staties for BTM ups, TOL LKM.BIDNT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT BTB tho.I bought a 1333 mina is all and all why I failed and sold out to DUPONT.and wanna trade DC-5 for MSK.any help there for those in the know message me and don't expect an instant reply.ask Revok about C 30..................................................................Creeper and Enougher.wsc,wslk

twelve eleven thirteen,home star,the seventh letter all support retna and steven lopez.saberone.com

hazer and dut.hso.free jel,tko,mta,fw,al,ai,lk,msg

yes I dropped out of my home set which was a corperate hang out for Lifetime Co. which was Eugene,Oregons own LKM/TOL/UPS/XXX.1996-2018.FOR a few years appeal in my counts as a graffiti writer to the feds.

I switched the appropriations to intraject as a LIFETIMER and absconded with Claymore,Chris (us two Big Timers) .just to repeat that in manhattan LEWY KATSU MALVO SKERT are up too.Dr. sexxx meanwhile joined DFM out here in Chicago AND abroad.

hour boasts aL like I am a proponent to Ai.Heath ledger died so I sent word to Colin Farrell to open up the plaza in Lebenon Oregon with Leonardo DiCaprio.No one got suited though.

my best boy Koss suited em up in the Staties for BTM ups, TOL LKM.BIDNT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT BTB tho.I bought a 1333 mina is all and all why I failed and sold out to DUPONT.and wanna trade DC-5 for MSK.any help there for those in the know message me and don't expect an instant reply.ask Revok about C 30..................................................................Creeper and Enougher.wsc,wslk

Yeah, Raven I understand the snow thing living in Valdez Alaska for almost three years. It is a small town of 4k until fishing season, so not exactly rural but at the end of the road. Google Valdez damalanch, I was there when that happened. I didn't notice anything different because I try to always be prepared. Yes, a get home, 72 hour, or bugout bag is very important to own. A few hundred dollars well spent that can literally save your life.

• Like 1

Yeah, Raven I understand the snow thing living in Valdez Alaska for almost three years. It is a small town of 4k until fishing season, so not exactly rural but at the end of the road. Google Valdez damalanch, I was there when that happened. I didn't notice anything different because I try to always be prepared. Yes, a get home, 72 hour, or bugout bag is very important to own. A few hundred dollars well spent that can literally save your life.

Just googled it... Definitely looks like a place that gets cold, LOL!

I am so in the rat race it is insane - the only upside is that I own my crib in the Bay Area. Mortgage payments are like 1/3 of what rent costs.

My union gig pays well - and puts me in line for a pension.

At the same time, I hear what most of you are saying 100% - one of my best buds is going through serious cancer treatment which makes me realize you have to do what makes you happy. No guarantees.

Life is a trip - the grass always seems greener but it doesn't matter if you consistently appreciate what you have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@misteraven DOPE PICS A FEW PAGES BACK... I THINK YOU’D REALLY LOVE IT HERE (TAOS, NM) I LIVE UP IN THE MOUNTAINS IN NORTHERN NEW MEXICO. SMALL, QUIET, ARTSY TOWN.

LIVE A FAIRLY SIMPLE LIFE, IM A ELEM. STEM TEACHER, GOT A GREAT WIFE, 2 AMAZING KIDS (9 & 2) SPEND THE SPRING AND SUMMER HIKING, TRAVELING, HITTING THE FARMERS MARKET EVERY SATURDAY EITHER BEFORE OR AFTER OUR WEEKLY SOCCER GAMES. SPEND THE WINTER WORKING AND BOARDING ONE OF ILLIST MOUNTAINS IN THE NATION. (TAOS SKI VALLY) COACHING MY SONS BASKETBALL TEAM AND VEGGING OUT AS A FAMILY AT THE MOVIE THEATER OR AT HOME. WE’RE ABOUT TO BUILD OUR NEW HOME THIS SUMMER. MY WIFE HAS FREE REIGN AS LONG AS WE GET SOME BUILT IN BOOKSHELVES IN THE FAMILY ROOM AND I GET MY MAN CAVE. WE’RE DOING ALL OLD SCHOOL ADOBE AND VIGAS (GOOGLE THEM)

• Like 1

@misteraven DOPE PICS A FEW PAGES BACK... I THINK YOU’D REALLY LOVE IT HERE (TAOS, NM) I LIVE UP IN THE MOUNTAINS IN NORTHERN NEW MEXICO. SMALL, QUIET, ARTSY TOWN.

LIVE A FAIRLY SIMPLE LIFE, IM A ELEM. STEM TEACHER, GOT A GREAT WIFE, 2 AMAZING KIDS (9 & 2) SPEND THE SPRING AND SUMMER HIKING, TRAVELING, HITTING THE FARMERS MARKET EVERY SATURDAY EITHER BEFORE OR AFTER OUR WEEKLY SOCCER GAMES. SPEND THE WINTER WORKING AND BOARDING ONE OF ILLIST MOUNTAINS IN THE NATION. (TAOS SKI VALLY) COACHING MY SONS BASKETBALL TEAM AND VEGGING OUT AS A FAMILY AT THE MOVIE THEATER OR AT HOME. WE’RE ABOUT TO BUILD OUR NEW HOME THIS SUMMER. MY WIFE HAS FREE REIGN AS LONG AS WE GET SOME BUILT IN BOOKSHELVES IN THE FAMILY ROOM AND I GET MY MAN CAVE. WE’RE DOING ALL OLD SCHOOL ADOBE AND VIGAS (GOOGLE THEM)

That's awesome man, congratulations to you on having pulled off this move. I'm living a fairly similar existence, except in the mountains of NW Montana just outside Glacier National Park. Looking forward to May when the local farmers markets open. Always fun to check out and always good food and friendly people. We didn't build our house, but figuring if I have a few more good years in me that I'd likely push out even deeper into the mountains, buy a couple hundred acre spread that has a variation on wooded and pasture land with some sort of river or lake access and put up a nice simple place. In the meantime, have a really awesome home though and already living on a pretty decent size chunk or property that also happens to be on water.

In any case, hoping you might take some photos and share and get into a little more about any farming / homesteading / sustainability stuff you guys might be doing?

Regardless, welcome back to the boards and thanks for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bumping my thread since those of you living rural should be pretty well into setting up spring gardens. We're finally past the snow out my way, but still not past last frost so for now all the plant starts are indoors.

Recently bought another 12 chickens so doubled our flock size. Can't find any decent deals on heritage pigs so that plan hasn't seen the light of day yet.

Anyhow, anyone else out there with news to share? Any of you guys considering the move out of the city to your own land any further with the plan?

Some recent photos to keep the thread a little more visual...

IMG_0789-1.thumb.jpg.fa2f3966e07ee4a8c72acc2f6f1180fa.jpg

IMG_0602-1.thumb.jpg.b524b7cdd3513d1c44ac8d8443e34fb2.jpg

IMG_1053-1.thumb.jpg.ef2dbb1d5ca38af180e082f010f6f24f.jpg

IMG_0936-1.thumb.jpg.edf0c832961b87625a93f461263ee834.jpg

IMG_0594-1.thumb.jpg.9b634385bd9b3cec6ed6a25328c10b86.jpg

IMG_0587-1.thumb.jpg.3c255b75b39b88ac7c41530661f165bc.jpg

IMG_0565-1.thumb.jpg.8e2aa119570fb0d92a18e51da02a903a.jpg

IMG_0667-1.thumb.jpg.449f8429b47e656e43fdb079aad82b6b.jpg

• Like 3

Keep bringing the photos. Like the deer outside the window, have had that scene before. More animal shots, you got bears and mountain lions out there. Trail cam would probably be pretty sweet.

Like the ducks, you worried about predators trying to get at your birds?

I'm on the edge of the grid. Head off grid a few times a year.

A scene from today:

IMG_2776.thumb.JPG.32fbaa629889559c95e4d68a2c8d1220.JPG

• Like 1