Speaking camera's warnings see off graffiti artists

Guest imported_Europe

Guest imported_Europe

Speaking camera's warnings see off graffiti artists

ALASTAIR DALTON

TRANSPORT CORRESPONDENT

RAIL police have scored a surprise victory against graffiti artists by using speed camera-type equipment that catches offenders in the act.

A motion-sensitive camera at a graffiti black spot in Glasgow has wiped out the problem by photographing trespassers and broadcasting pre-recorded verbal warnings.

The cunning FlashCam device is triggered by movement and flashes twice.

The first flash prompts those caught in the camera’s view to look towards it, then a second flash captures the offenders on film.

The United States-built equipment also issues a warning in an American accent.

It states: "You are in a restricted area. Law enforcement agencies have been advised of your presence."

The British Transport Police (BTP), which patrol the rail network, have successfully used FlashCams south of the Border to deter vandalism and rubbish-dumping on lines, and drug dealing in underpasses.

However, Scottish officers were surprised at the device’s success when drafted in for a pilot anti-graffiti project at a favourite target site near Glasgow Central station.

They said vandals had fled when they triggered the camera, leaving the site untouched.

Senior officers said they would now be keen to retain the camera in Scotland to test its other crime-busting potential.

Superintendent Ronnie Mellis, the BTP’s area commander for Scotland, said: "The camera stopped the problem dead. There is scope for us there.

"I could see us using it for tackling vandals and trespassers on railways."

The FlashCam is part of a rail industry crackdown on graffiti in Scotland.

Other measures include ScotRail’s use of new cleaning materials to remove "tags" (signatures) from trains as soon as they appear.

The BTP is also using digital cameras to compile computerised records of graffiti attacks.

However, it has yet to acquire software that can digitally match photographs of the same tags from different sites.

Mr Mellis said there was anecdotal evidence that the crackdown was shifting the problem from the railways to other areas, with an increase in graffiti in Glasgow city centre being noted.

However, he admitted that FlashCams would not provide a permanent solution to the problem, since graffiti artists were likely to return to a site when a camera was moved.

In London, installation of a cameras prompted drug users to flee from a favourite haunt in Camden after complaints were made.

The equipment has also been used to protect a memorial garden for the victims of the Potters Bar rail crash in Hertfordshire.

The garden had been attacked by graffiti artists defacing its walls.

The BTP believes eradicating graffiti is a key move in improving passengers’ sense of security while travelling on the railways.

It said: "Graffiti gives the sense of a fear of crime and danger."

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=649372004

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

We had one of those installed behind my previous job and it sayed the same excat thing, it was up for about a month or so and all it ever caputred was pizza delivery guys goin to their car or my and my fellow workers dumping garbage.....It always pissed us off cause it wouldnt shut up...I would keep goin on and on for like 10 mins straight.....

take a ladder, approach it from behind,smash a hole in it from the top with a claw hammer or with a steel hole punch.....pour in lighter fluid and set them on fire.....

if they keep repairing it keep doing it....let it cool down again so you dont get nicked and do it again....

that would take 5 mins max...

or angle grind the cunts down.....its still only criminal damage youll get the same for the graff anyway.

make no mistake, this is a war... you have to fight them with anything you can...and remember what your fighting for ...freedom of expression, whole car pieces of art...neva forget that it is a crime to destroy art.....WARRIORS! always stand strong in the face of ignorance and persecution.

they kill people in the name of freedom(Iraq).....and lock us up for expressing our freedom to create.

Remember to fight and run away so that you can live to fight another day.

Originally posted by DaDecorators

angle grind the cunts down.....its still only criminal damage youll get the same for the graff anyway.

good point, they obviously cant afford that many cameras cos they move em once the graffiti stops. if graffiti writers start taking them home as trophies they gonna run out pretty fast!

They are behind the times when they have to move the cameras and they don't even have the software to match tags up. It's like wow, "let's use these new digital cameras because we can put them on the computer, but who needs the software to actually make it more technologically advanced and worth while?" What evs.

does it really call the cops on you or just not shut up and fry your brain with its elecrto-voice namby pamby?

where are the pictures stored?how many can be stored? will it take more pictures if you keep triggering it?

• 2 weeks later...

Namby Pamby is like Mumbo Jumbo. One of these cameras talked at me in Hollywood. But it didn't flash at me and whoever it was designed to notify never came. They're just an oddity. It's a mindbender when suddenly you've got a digital cop voice talking about a "graffiti free zone" at you. I was laughing. It would be a new thing if you smashed it down off the wall and it kept talking to you and squirming around after you, like "Oh, you shunna dunnat..."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uh oh.. either smash it or "take" it home.

Is just bullshit they are boasting about to deter people. Even if it does take pictures or whatever the fuck, all they can do you for is trespassing really. Thats if they catch up with you... Or if they manage to get the photos developed from the mangled burned wreck that used to be a camera.

Or if you take it home.. happy snaps! :dazed:

talkin cameras thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard of, you said that they move the camera after the graff stops so I say you blow up the spot for a min. then stop let'um move the cam then go right back to the same spot, they'll spend more time movin and settin up the cameras then bustin people they'll realize there idea sucks like every other one and think of something else to waste our tax money on......jus my 2cent FTG...

Archived