maybe Bowling For Columbine isn't so cool

CIPHER_one

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

right.ive also seen websites that are saying that maenard keenan has died.its words against words..either way his movie's purpose is to open your eyes and possibly achieve some type of awareness.that's what i got from it.a little more perspective..

"Bowling portrays this with the following sequence:

Weeping children outside Columbine, explaining how near they had come to death and how their friends had just been murdered before their eyes;

Cut to Charlton Heston holding a musket over his head and happily proclaiming "I have only five words for you: 'from my cold, dead, hands'" to a cheering NRA crowd.

Cut to billboard advertising the meeting, while Moore in voiceover intones "Just ten days after the Columbine killings, despite the pleas of a community in mourning, Charlton Heston came to Denver and held a large pro-gun rally for the National Rifle Association;"

Cut to Heston (supposedly) continuing speech... "I have a message from the Mayor, Mr. Wellington West, the Mayor of Denver. He sent me this; it says 'don't come here. We don't want you here.' I say to the Mayor this is our country, as Americans we're free to travel wherever we want in our broad land. Don't come here? We're already here."

The portrayal is one of Heston and NRA arrogantly holding a protest rally in response to the deaths -- or, as one reviewer put it, "it seemed that Charlton Heston and others rushed to Littleton to hold rallies and demonstrations directly after the tragedy." [italics added]. Moore successfully causes viewers to reach this conclusion. It is in fact false.

Fact: The Denver event was not a demonstration relating to Columbine, but an annual meeting, whose place and date had been fixed years in advance.

Fact: At Denver, the NRA canceled all events (normally several days of committee meetings, sporting events, dinners, and rallies) save the annual members' meeting; that could not be cancelled because corporate law required that it be held."

fact.no matter what's been fixed for years or whats required by law.respect is respect..don't give me that bullshit.when 911 happened you didn't see people getting arrested for jay walking ..even though its the fucking law..this site is crap.maybe a little cross refrencing is in order on him huh?annual members meeting sounds like a "rally" to me

Guest Dr. Drew

michael moore may have altered and edited it to have a more dramatic impact, because yes, it is a film, but he in no way put words in the mouths of anyone, nor did he make it appear as if any people in the film are saying something that they wouldn't. all that nitpicking about his editing is pointless.

the very first thing that article suggests is that michael moore is against the second amendment, which is false and you would know better if you actually saw the movie. in fact the movie points put that canada has the same amount of guns as the US, just not as much violence.

that whole nitpicking and bullshit doesn't discount the actual message of Bowling. If any fingers are being pointed in Bowling, its at the American sensationalist media.

Guest imported_sofarok

all documentary is subjective, still a good movie that makes a strong point.

"never get the facts get in the way of a good story"

Guest uncle-boy
Originally posted by Dr. Drew

all that nitpicking about his editing is pointless.

:lol: for some reason this made me laugh.

i think michael moore is a plug, but i respect him for doing what he believes, and not letting anyone hold him back.

• 3 weeks later...

think about this...is it really wrong for the nra to hvae their meeting then? what would it say if they cancelled it? they believe (and im not saying i agree or disagree) that everyone should have the right to own a gun, if they had cancelled their events it wouldve appeared that they felt responsible. i think its good that they had their meeting.

i guess its because i think that what the NRA supports is not a problem. the problem is...well i have no idea what the problem is...what makes people shoot eachother...but people dont kill eachother just becasue they have guns...you know?

.4. Shooting at Buell Elementary School in Michigan. Bowling depicts the juvenile shooter who killed Kayla Rolland as a sympathetic youngster, from a struggling family, who just found a gun in his uncle's house and took it to school. "No one knew why the little boy wanted to shoot the little girl."

Fact: The little boy was the class bully, already suspended from school for stabbing another kid with a pencil, and had fought with Kayla the day before. Since the incident, he has stabbed another child with a knife.

Fact: The uncle's house was the neighborhood crack-house. The gun was stolen and was purchased by the uncle in exchange for drugs.The shooter's father was already serving a prison term for theft and drug offenses. After the event, the shooter's uncle went to jail. A few weeks later police busted his grandmother and aunt for narcotics sales. After police hauled the family away, the neighbors applauded the officers. These was not the nice but misunderstood family Moore portrays

Originally posted by Dr. Drew

michael moore may have altered and edited it to have a more dramatic impact, because yes, it is a film, but he in no way put words in the mouths of anyone, nor did he make it appear as if any people in the film are saying something that they wouldn't. all that nitpicking about his editing is pointless.

the very first thing that article suggests is that michael moore is against the second amendment, which is false and you would know better if you actually saw the movie. in fact the movie points put that canada has the same amount of guns as the US, just not as much violence.

that whole nitpicking and bullshit doesn't discount the actual message of Bowling. If any fingers are being pointed in Bowling, its at the American sensationalist media.

if you read the whole article, it doesn't suggest that at all

Guest imported_Tesseract

I dont agree with all the tactics Moore uses..nor do i share his viewpoint entirely..still i think you should face the bottom line truth of the said work...america has a gun problem and america is owned by gun manufacturing companies...you dont have to take Moore's word to realise that, lots of pointers to that. The whole argumentative of the progun people is straight bs since out of all nations US is the last to start a revolution to defend their freedom and democracy when its threatened from the inside. Just face the truth and draw your own conclusions.

Guest Dipher

, have they released "Noam Chomsky: Power and Terror" in the US like they have here in Australia? Im not holding my breath. Ive heard Moores next doco is gonna be called something like "Farenheit 911". When asked why he uses this provocative title he explained that it is "the temperature at whioch liberty burns." Peace out.

Archived