Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Let's see your bicycles and talk about your builds.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Dirty_habiT, Sep 14, 2017.

1. NightmareOnElmStreet

NightmareOnElmStreet Veteran Member

that custom green townie is fuckin siiiick!

Ko SprueOne likes this.
  2. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

I have four bikes and every one of them is 26". Not because of any ideological trip but just because the last bike I bought new was the last of the 26ers in the category and I haven't bought a brand new bike since. I am in the market for a new 29" all mountain hardtail like a Kona Honzo but word on the street is that my household isgoing to have a whole new line of expenses soon so new bikes might be a luxury soon.

3. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

^^Someone has a bun in the oven!!

Yeah, same for me on owning the old bmx bikes... I say "old" but in the past 10 years bmx's have gone from being either a super light race bike or a super heavy indestructible tank to ..... and indestructible light bike w/ different geometry. The new kids are doing the following:

*Frames have higher bottom brackets now/shorter seat tube. This has your centerline for the crank spindle higher off the ground.
    *Super huge bus driver handle bars.
    *2" long seat posts for seats. I actually had some young kid at Empire BMX tell me that all the new seatposts are like that because you're "not supposed to sit down on a bmx bike". Fucking kids.
    *Light frames that have reinforcement in the right places.
    *Odyssey makes a ton of "lifetime warranty" parts now that are meant to be abused.... and they're not lifetime warranty because they're cheap and break... they're that way because they're not supposed to break and Odyssey doesn't mind replacing them when you do.
    *22" tall wheels/frames/forks.
    *Spanish/euro bottom brackets for weight.... they're much smaller than an American bottom bracket and the parts in turn are lighter.
    *Smaller chain rings and free wheels that don't bust chain rings or chains when you do grinds (frame grinds are a thing now)
    *Cassette hubs that click way louder than I like. I was always a quiet freewheel kind of guy.

Those are the major changes I've seen happen in the scene recently. My younger brother keeps up with it a lot more than me these days. Oh, another thing I've noticed is there are a lot of people riding "DJ's" now. This is basically a mountain bike that they jump the bmx dirt jumps with. I don't know what is different about the geometry but the wheels are huge and they have full suspension. Some riders call them "squishes" because they have squishy suspension front forks. I really don't know how you can jump with the suspension sucking up your pump when you go off a lip. You wont see anyone doing 360 barspins on these.

My next bicycle will be something like this: https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bikes/mountain/downhill/demo/sworks-demo-8/106995

I have to save a lot of lunch money to get it though. It costs more than a lot of people's shit box cars they drive.

Ko SprueOne likes this.
  4. Ko SprueOne

Ko SprueOne Senior Member

A few years ago, I saw (and took a picture of) a BMX20 with the chain on the left side. Other than rollin unique, what would be the operational advantages to this?

1 Oct, 2017 edit: added the images of this below, now that I'm home

8nkOOQ5.jpg
    YsyXWpb.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  5. Dirty_habiT

There is.... this was one of the first fixes to fucking up chain rings/chains when doing and/or missing grinds. If your chain ring is on the standard right hand side of the bike and you grind with pegs on the right hand side of the bike, your drivetrain is in constant risk of being damaged. Of course a lot of BMX'rs will wear broken parts as a badge of honor but I think as people get a bit older they opt to not destroy their shit or their bodies. So, someone came up with the clever idea to move the drivetrain to the other side of the bike to prevent it from being ruined when street riding (grinding ledges and rails). That's the only "good" reason I've ever known anyone to go through the trouble of running a setup like that for. The parts are also limited because I believe you have to get rear hub that is threaded on the other side and a freewheel that freewheels in the opposite direction of any other free wheel.

Ko SprueOne likes this.
  6. Hua Guofang

We/MTB used to run bash guards for that purpose. I still have mine on the old street ride, an E13. BMX don't do bashies?

7. Dirty_habiT

They did in the 80s lol. I think they moved away from them because the weight required to make them strong enough to stand up to the constant abuse being put on them wasn't worth it. Another thing that was popular for a while was using motorcycle chains that wouldn't break as easily.... these were obviously a lot more heavy but would still break when you have a 200lb rider slamming himself, the weight of the bike, plus whatever extra momentum from motion down onto a coping with a disaster stall/grind. Now people use half-link chains (like what's on my bike) because they allow more precise adjustment of chain length.... and the strength of it doesn't matter much because I don't beat the crap out of my stuff that I pay for like kiddos do when their parents pay for everything.

8. Ko SprueOne

An upgrade I did today on a 20 dollar, thrift store score. The bike was complete except the front spring and bracket. The fork crown was just resting against the head tube? It was already as you see it in these pictures painted that green and the rust pitting overall. A lot of this will be changed eventually. I just want to get it a little more ride-able.

Today I switched out the 3" cranks for 5" cranks.

pl5zexc.jpg
    ^ Notice that 3" crank. Makes riding beyond a single residential city block very difficult.

GXrTIer.jpg
    ^ purchased a used Lucky 7 with 5" crank set.

jFm5PbM.jpg
    ^ First I removed the chain guard but then lost two of the mounting screws so I wont be reinstalling that today.

2vjRphk.jpg
    ^ Left side = righty-loosey, lefty-tighty

VdTMSkC.jpg
    ^ The 36mm wrench is too big so it must be a 30mm nut. I don't have one of those in 30mm so an adjustable will have to do.

P18ce3M.jpg
    ^ Remember, lefty-tighty

9AC5x88.jpg
    ^ There are left and right side pedals

XkwT8iy.jpg
    ^ There is now more efficiency from each rotation of 5" cranks

lgkUT5N.jpg
    ^ I'll dig around in the screws jar to install the chain guard again

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Fist 666 likes this.
  9. Hua Guofang

Yeah, wow, those original cranks are tiny! That would be very difficult to ride. Great pick up on that new cranks set though. The tyres look to be still in pretty good condition.

Don't all bikes have opposing threads on the drive train? Every bike I've owned has.

Ko SprueOne likes this.
  10. Hua Guofang

Was able to get a new Nukeproof Warhead for $50 and an Easton direct mount length adjustable stem for $35 - both on sale. Stoked.

Also picked up a headset removal tool and will make my own headset press like this:
    69e40ada8fce9280f9bc2b930b4b64a0.jpg

Should be bombing runs by Sunday if things go to plan.

Ko SprueOne likes this.
  11. Ko SprueOne

Ok, That's what I figured and knew most bicicletas thread contributing 12oz members here would know that but I had to look at the crank set threads to remind myself ahead of time. Then described it here for those who may not have known that.

I've been trying to remove the bottom bracket on this Rocky Mountain without success. Any advice? Is the left side reverse thread, and the right side right hand thread?

xei81qu.jpg

PJyDOWK.jpg

^ left side pictured

12. Hua Guofang

Most BBs have arrows to show which way to turn them (can't recall off the top of my head but can check the directions when I get home tonight).

On the right hand side of the bottom bracket as pictured, is that an arrow I can see there?

IT may also be that it's been rusted in over the years. Flushing it with some thread loosener (M3, WD40, etc.) and letting is sit for 24 hours can halp if it's seized.

13. Ko SprueOne

Yeah, that looks like an arrow. I'll look at that a little closer. Good eye, Thanks.

14. Brickos

Brickos Dirty Dozen Crew

LHS - lefty loosey