Let's see your bicycles and talk about your builds.

Dirty_habiT

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So far I'm seeing high performance in the various cycling fields so I'll post my low cost and low performance project here. I plan to add details to it as a find them or have time to fabricate them.

Reproduction of a WWII era military bicycle. Copying the Wehrmacht style, Truppenfahrrad.

It started out as a stock 1973 Huffy 3-speed that I found in a thrift store for $6.99USD. The steel tool box for the kasten mounted under the top tube was $1.99USD from the same thrift store during the same visit. The pump was mocked up but never used and the rear rack was already on another bike I had.

It was approx. 90% disassembled and painted with the Rust-Oleum 12 oz. Camouflage series, Deep Forest Green. I masked off the chain though. Seat cover and hand grips were left stock 1973 Huffy color.

2nOVjjY.jpg.b048e33cc59544141e7c1839142562fd.jpg

RTeQVT1.jpg.bcdb27e4f5aa63e94c58ddcdf714b19b.jpg

v Couple months later I added the white to the rear fender.

HyzojTG.jpg.716995c5de0b4073b9739509df0a7703.jpg

aSJPfoV.thumb.jpg.46fbc4dadbcc65528e2047eab1e20064.jpg

QVJZzrz.jpg.904249aaedebbf427342f04fbc9d57c7.jpg

c6jdagc.jpg.c6d209a918b0b58cb1da593685d478a2.jpg

^ The current configuration

• Like 5

Good practice to level your grips/bars FYI

I'll adjust those this morning. That may be the reason why the gear wants to stay in 3rd. Like it's pulling on the cable.

Nice one KSO. You see quite a few WWII era bikes restored around Europe in places like Sweden, Netherlands, Germany, etc.

Thank you. I heard about those and see some restorations online when I search for prototypical details.

Pretty soon we'll get to have WWIII era bikes, whether we want 'em or not!

rad little project, @Ko SprueOne

Thanks!

There are contemporary military operations on bicycles in various places. Usually patrols but I don't know if they are at the regiment or platoon level.

As promised, here is my Sunday Wave-C bike. It was given to me by a local wheel builder for helping him with his WordPress site as a surprise gift. I didn't think much of it when they asked me what my favorite colors on bikes were. I told them red and black to match my car and they gave me this:

IMG_2087.thumb.JPG.3a38d4b17bc992bfab422a4e24dc8a27.JPG

It's got automotive paint. Black base with red flake in the clear coat. He built some wheels that used red nipples on black spokes. In any case, it's probably ~15lbs lighter than my TrailBoss I have and it's easier to ride. I use it mainly for going between the parking garage and my work every day but it does get taken out to the dirt jumps here in Austin, TX every now and then.

Yes, those are nerf darts on the floor of my work.... for people that are fucking around instead of doing the pile of work we have to get done. It's one of the "cool" things that work places do now.

• Like 3

Wow, this thread is moving along quick... Nice!

Someone suggested I get a full face helmet... Was definitely planning on that along with some armor, at least for the knees and shins and elbows. I'm about to throw down on a season pass for Whitefish Mountain and the pass is good all winter and the following summer. In the summer they adapt the lifts for bikes and have a bunch of cool downhill stuff. Really it was after taking a day trip this summer and seeing how fun it looked that I started looking into this. Bike I bought was for that specific intention.

Anyone have experience with any of this stuff? Any particular brands or type of armor I should look into? Rather 'buy once, cry once' and get the most out of the time on my bike, which means getting good kit. Suggestions?

https://skiwhitefish.com/mountain-biking/

http://mtbparks.com/Montana/237-Whitefish-Mountain-Resort-Bike-Park/View-details.html

A good set of gloves is almost a must along with whatever helmet you decide on. I've wrecked on my bmx a lot of times and my hands get messed up pretty easily. Since I work on computers I also tell people that I can't fuck up my money makers.... so protecting your hands is pretty high priority right under protecting your head.

Protec makes pretty good shin, elbow, and knee guards. If they're durable enough for long term bmx use without getting messed up (those guys make a habit out of falling) then they'd likely work well for whatever other kind of cycling you'd want to do. I'm excited to hear some stories of the downhill biking after you do it Misteraven.

Oh, and I meant to say it before... that WW2 bike on the last page is pretty sick. I like how it went from a budget build into the "bad ass cruiser" realm in like 3 seconds flat.

• Like 2

Regards helmets, the most important thing is to try before you buy. You have to make sure it fits your scone properly. No point buying something online to save a few bucks and finding out that it's too tight and gives you headaches or that it's too loose and flops down over your eyes.

Stick to the reputable brands, of which there are many (protech, netti, fox, POC, TLD, Bell, etc) and toss it if you crash and hit your head.

Make sure that you really need the full face in the fist place. I'll check those links later to see what you're riding because the kind of stuff your bike is designed for is borderline as to what kind of lid you'd get and you DONT want to be climbing hills with a full face on.

• Like 2

Yeah, definitely some good advice there Hua. The full face is meant more for fast, unpredictable, high impact situations. A normal skull cap type helmet will be good enough for normal riding.

If you do intend to save money by purchasing online you can still do so by trying the helmet in a store first like Hua mentioned. Getting it fitted properly and then taking the model number and size to your online shop can save some dollars. It probably won't be much and/or worth the trouble of not just buying it at the local shop.

My girlfriend is purchasing a 22" bmx next week from one of my brothers. It's already half paid for. For anyone that rides bmx that hasn't tried a 22", try to ride one if you see someone that has one at a local park. It's a real game changer. We have a fly out with a huge roll in at some of the local jumps I ride and I was getting probably 4' off the ground pretty easily on my bike. I hopped on my brother's 22" that I am not used to and have only ridden a few times and instantly went like 6.5' into the air without effort. My brother and i were both pretty amazed that I got that much higher on his bike without even trying.

• Like 1

I haven't ridden a 24" bmx that I "liked" or thought "felt right". Sure, they're BMX bikes but for some reason the wheel base feels too close together for wheels that size and stretching it out would fuck off the geometry. One example is that I can never bunny hop nearly as high on a cruiser as I can on a 20". The 22" solves this issue, at least in my opinion, by offering the fantastic middle ground of not being too small or too big.

Weird. I love the 24s I've owned and ridden. Maybe they've changed geometry a bit in the last couple decades (I haven't bought a new BMX bike since standard chainrings stopped being a 43 or 44 tooth). I actually just packed my 24 and 26 in the moving truck and realized that wheelbase is almost exact axle to axle. (94 Redline 444 and a 99 Schwinn Homegrown).