Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Let's see your bicycles and talk about your builds.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Dirty_habiT, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

It's in between work and home I get to ride it twice a day on my commute and I still never get sick of those trails. Great little urban trail network.

2. boxcarrapist

boxcarrapist Elite Member

picked this up, going to slowly build it it over fall/winter.

263B92E5-C23C-4A5A-B164-3497F905C8F7_zpsnmk3ymcr.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. boxcarrapist

boxcarrapist Elite Member

How do you like your Super Pista?

KILZ FILLZ likes this.
  4. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

As promised, here is my Sunday Wave-C bike. It was given to me by a local wheel builder for helping him with his WordPress site as a surprise gift. I didn't think much of it when they asked me what my favorite colors on bikes were. I told them red and black to match my car and they gave me this:

IMG_2087.JPG

It's got automotive paint. Black base with red flake in the clear coat. He built some wheels that used red nipples on black spokes. In any case, it's probably ~15lbs lighter than my TrailBoss I have and it's easier to ride. I use it mainly for going between the parking garage and my work every day but it does get taken out to the dirt jumps here in Austin, TX every now and then.

Yes, those are nerf darts on the floor of my work.... for people that are fucking around instead of doing the pile of work we have to get done. It's one of the "cool" things that work places do now.

5. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

Wow, this thread is moving along quick... Nice!

Someone suggested I get a full face helmet... Was definitely planning on that along with some armor, at least for the knees and shins and elbows. I'm about to throw down on a season pass for Whitefish Mountain and the pass is good all winter and the following summer. In the summer they adapt the lifts for bikes and have a bunch of cool downhill stuff. Really it was after taking a day trip this summer and seeing how fun it looked that I started looking into this. Bike I bought was for that specific intention.

Anyone have experience with any of this stuff? Any particular brands or type of armor I should look into? Rather 'buy once, cry once' and get the most out of the time on my bike, which means getting good kit. Suggestions?

https://skiwhitefish.com/mountain-biking/

http://mtbparks.com/Montana/237-Whitefish-Mountain-Resort-Bike-Park/View-details.html

6. Dirty_habiT

A good set of gloves is almost a must along with whatever helmet you decide on. I've wrecked on my bmx a lot of times and my hands get messed up pretty easily. Since I work on computers I also tell people that I can't fuck up my money makers.... so protecting your hands is pretty high priority right under protecting your head.

Protec makes pretty good shin, elbow, and knee guards. If they're durable enough for long term bmx use without getting messed up (those guys make a habit out of falling) then they'd likely work well for whatever other kind of cycling you'd want to do. I'm excited to hear some stories of the downhill biking after you do it Misteraven.

Oh, and I meant to say it before... that WW2 bike on the last page is pretty sick. I like how it went from a budget build into the "bad ass cruiser" realm in like 3 seconds flat.

Ko SprueOne and misteraven like this.
  7. Brewster Baker

Brewster Baker 12oz Loyalist

It developed a really annoying ping sound. Could never pin point it. Other than that it was great.

KILZ FILLZ likes this.
  8. Dirty_habiT

What do you mean ping sound?

9. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

Only sound I've heard that I'd call a "ping" on a bike came from too-tight spokes, or a generally imbalanced wheel

10. KILZ FILLZ

KILZ FILLZ Moderator Crew

Yea sounds like wheels need to be trued.

@misteraven Bell Super 2R / 3R helmet is way to go IMHO.

11. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

Regards helmets, the most important thing is to try before you buy. You have to make sure it fits your scone properly. No point buying something online to save a few bucks and finding out that it's too tight and gives you headaches or that it's too loose and flops down over your eyes.

Stick to the reputable brands, of which there are many (protech, netti, fox, POC, TLD, Bell, etc) and toss it if you crash and hit your head.

Make sure that you really need the full face in the fist place. I'll check those links later to see what you're riding because the kind of stuff your bike is designed for is borderline as to what kind of lid you'd get and you DONT want to be climbing hills with a full face on.

Ko SprueOne and Fist 666 like this.
  12. Dirty_habiT

Yeah, definitely some good advice there Hua. The full face is meant more for fast, unpredictable, high impact situations. A normal skull cap type helmet will be good enough for normal riding.

If you do intend to save money by purchasing online you can still do so by trying the helmet in a store first like Hua mentioned. Getting it fitted properly and then taking the model number and size to your online shop can save some dollars. It probably won't be much and/or worth the trouble of not just buying it at the local shop.

My girlfriend is purchasing a 22" bmx next week from one of my brothers. It's already half paid for. For anyone that rides bmx that hasn't tried a 22", try to ride one if you see someone that has one at a local park. It's a real game changer. We have a fly out with a huge roll in at some of the local jumps I ride and I was getting probably 4' off the ground pretty easily on my bike. I hopped on my brother's 22" that I am not used to and have only ridden a few times and instantly went like 6.5' into the air without effort. My brother and i were both pretty amazed that I got that much higher on his bike without even trying.

Ko SprueOne likes this.
  13. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

So BMX is going through the 29er identity crisis that MTB went through over the last decade? Hmm.

That said, I owned a 29r for a few years and absolutely loved it. Still own a 26. and I do own a 24 BMX.

14. Dirty_habiT

I haven't ridden a 24" bmx that I "liked" or thought "felt right". Sure, they're BMX bikes but for some reason the wheel base feels too close together for wheels that size and stretching it out would fuck off the geometry. One example is that I can never bunny hop nearly as high on a cruiser as I can on a 20". The 22" solves this issue, at least in my opinion, by offering the fantastic middle ground of not being too small or too big.

15. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

Weird. I love the 24s I've owned and ridden. Maybe they've changed geometry a bit in the last couple decades (I haven't bought a new BMX bike since standard chainrings stopped being a 43 or 44 tooth). I actually just packed my 24 and 26 in the moving truck and realized that wheelbase is almost exact axle to axle. (94 Redline 444 and a 99 Schwinn Homegrown).