Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Iraq is a fucking mess right now.

Discussion in 'News' started by Poop Man Bob, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/03/02/international/02cnd-blast.3.650.jpg'>
    [i]Two suicide bombers blew themselves up at doors of a shrine in Baghdad, and a third detonated his bomb inside the shrine.[/i]

[img]http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/03/02/international/02cnd-blast.2.large.jpg'>
    [i]Iraqi men picked through the remains left from the multiple explosions outside the Khadamiya Mosque in Baghdad, Iraq[/i]

[img]http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/03/02/international/20040303_web_IRAQmap.gif'>
    [i]Bombs and explosions ripped through Shiite Muslim religious ceremonies in Baghdad and the city of Karbala today.[/i]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/35pq7]Article from the NY Times[/url]:

[quote][b][b][SIZE=2]Blasts at Shiite Ceremonies in Iraq Kill at Least 143[/b][/SIZE]
    By JOHN F. BURNS
    and JEFFREY GETTLEMAN

Published: March 2, 2004

AGHDAD, Iraq, March 2 — Bombs and explosions ripped through Shiite Muslim religious ceremonies in Baghdad and the city of Karbala today, killing at least 143 people among the hundreds of thousands of pilgrims who had flocked to ancient shrines to pray on one of their holiest days.

Streaks of blood and bits of flesh clung to the tiled walls and stone floors of the Imam Musa al-Khadam shrine in the Khadamiya district of Baghdad after two suicide bombers blew themselves up at its doors and a third detonated his bomb inside the shrine, according to witnesses and a militia guard at the shrine, Hussein Hamad.

As panicked pilgrims fled for an exit, a fourth suicide bomber blew himself up there, Mr. Hamad and other witnesses said.

"Hundreds of people were in the street, and it was a big mess," said one of the caretakers of the mosque, Saad Abdul-Zahara. "As soon as the explosion hit us everybody started running. The streets were full of bleeding women."

He added: "I saw the suicide bomber walk into the crowd, and then he blew himself up and just disappeared. It was terrifying. There was flesh flying, there were bodies flying."

He and other witnesses said grenades were thrown into the crowd from the windows of a nearby hotel. Witnesses also said that a man was dragged from a hotel across from the shrine and beaten by a mob.

Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, spokesman for the coalition forces, told a news conference here that the blasts killed at least 85 in Karbala and 58 at the Shiites' holiest Baghdad mosque.

Hospital officials said that a final death toll from the Khadamiya blast had been difficult to establish because many of the bodies were in pieces.

"I cannot count them," said a morgue attendant, Abdullah Hatam.

In the holy city of Karbala, about 50 miles south of Baghdad, at least five powerful blasts struck in the middle of crowds of pilgrims who had packed the streets and shrines for the Ashoura ceremony, when Shiite Muslims commemorate the martyrdom in 680 A.D. of Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad.

At the scene of one of the blasts in Karbala, a New York Times contract photographer, Joao Silva, saw at least four corpses being removed. Casualties were also loaded onto trucks and carted away from the area, which was near a mosque on a side street.

There was some damage to nearby buildings but no deep crater on the ground, like those left by the impact of car bombs. "People told us mortars had landed among a group of people walking to the shrine," Mr. Silva said.

In Khadamiya, among the body parts taken to the morgue were two severed heads, which in the past have been among the signs of a suicide bombing.

Corpses of women in black veils and the long robes worn by Shiites were laid out in the morgue. Outside, frantic Iraqis slapped their cheeks in grief and anger, searching the chaos for missing friends or relatives.

"Tell me about Hussein — is he okay?" one man asked, approaching the Iraqis trying to get inside the hospital. "No, he is dead," another replied.

American military helicopers circled overhead at the shrine and the hospital.

Iraqis waited for word of those still unaccounted for, some doubled over in grief as it filtered out. "He's gone, he's dead," said one. Rough-hewn wood coffins were loaded onto pickup trucks.

At one point a hospital official emerged and read a list of the names of the bodies that had been identified "Adnan Khurdaya, Mohammad Hussein . . ."

Men wailed, flailing their fists in the air.

"We are here to pay our condolences to the dead!" chanted a procession of men carrying the black flags associated with the mourning rituals of Ashoura as they marched to the hospital. "We defy you, America and Israel."

American troops in Humvees, machine guns mounted on top, were positioned at the hospital complex. As they drove through the gates, the crowd of Iraqis parted sullenly , letting them pass, but some shouted curses and threats.

Thousands of Iraqis packed the streets surrounding the Khadamiya shrine, beating their chests and chanting prayers to Imam Hussein. Some men with whips and knives flagellated themselves, part of the ritual of Ashoura which is meant to unite pilgrims in a re-enactment of Imam Hussein's suffering.

After the attack at the Khadamiya shrine, an angry crowd estimated in the thousands marched to a nearby American base where they started pelting soldiers and tanks with stones. A witness, Ali Heider, said the soldiers opened fire and he saw at least two Iraqis in the crowd shot.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the apparently coordinated series of attacks. Insurgents have launched car bombs and suicide attacks on the American occupying force and the Iraqis who work with them.

The American-led coalition authority is planning to hand back sovereignty to Iraqis, but it is not clear what shape the caretaker government would take once in place after June 30, nor is it clear how such a government would rule in a country faced with violence and growing religious and ethnic differences.

Shortly after the attack in Khadamiya, survivors gathered the shoes and sandals of victims. One distraught man clawed through the piles until he found the small pink sandals of a child. He held them up.

"Look at what they are doing to our children!" he said.[/b][/quote]

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040302/capt.sge.pgn54.020304170051.photo00.default-266x384.jpg'>
    [i]An Iraqi Shiite cleans a pool of blood at the site of an explosion at a mosque in the Baghdad neighborhood of Kazimyah. Almost 140 people were killed as Shiite Muslims came under attack in coordinated attacks in the cities of Karbala and Baghdad.[/i]

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040302/capt.abl11903021544.iraq_abl119.jpg'>
    [i]Moments after the attacks, Iraqis use a pushcart to remove from the scene victims of one of several bomb blasts which exploded in densely-occupied areas, during the holy day of Ashoura, a Shiite festival, in the holy city of Karbala, Iraq.[/i]

2. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

*believe*

hold it down cuzz!

:king: :mad:

3. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

more blood on dubya's hands.
    this is just going to keep happening.

..from BBC

At least six explosions hit Karbala at about 1000 local time (0700GMT) aimed at the main mosque in the holy city.

The blasts sparked panic among the crowds who were able to observe Ashura - commemorating the death of Imam Hussein in 680 - freely for the first time in decades.

SHIA FESTIVAL: ASHURA
    Annual Shia festival commemorating martyrdom of Imam Hussein
    Hussein, grandson of Prophet Mohammad, killed at Karbala by army of Caliph Yazid in 680
    Faithful strike themselves with chains and swords to atone for Hussein martyrdom
    The murder 19 years earlier of Ali, Hussein's father, gave rise to the central schism in Islam between Sunni and Shia

People - bloodied, with limbs lost - were carried to ambulances on stretchers made from blankets and wooden carts.

"We were standing [next to the mosques] when we heard an explosion," said 18-year-old Tarar. "We saw flesh, arms, legs and more flesh. Then the ambulance came."

Confusion surrounded the cause of the blasts, with police officers running through the streets checking bins and boxes for more bombs.
    Gen Kimmitt said later that there were reports of a mortar attack in Karbala, 80km (50 miles) south of Baghdad, as well as at least one suicide bomber.

The BBC's Caroline Hawley in Baghdad says the use of mortars - if confirmed - would be a new tactic for insurgents seeking to stir up sectarian tensions between Sunni and Shia Muslims.

Mortars had previously been used against coalition forces, but not Iraqi civilians.

Gen Kimmitt said three suicide bombers blew themselves up in Baghdad and a fourth was caught before detonating explosives.

Iraqi police reported they had arrested six people in connection with the attacks.

Violence had been feared but US and other coalition soldiers had left the immediate areas around the mosques to Iraqi security forces so as not to offend religious sensibilities.

In both cities, shock soon turned to anger and foreign civilians and soldiers were targeted.

But later, in active defiance of the attacks, pilgrims continued the last day of the Ashura rituals.

Religious ceremonies of the Shia Muslims - the majority group in Iraq but suppressed under the Sunni Muslim rule of Saddam Hussein - have been targeted before.

RIP

4. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

I was just going to say...this is only the beginning. Iraq was a mess before. It is a mess now and it will only get worse. I don't even think the US leaving will help that much.

I'll never understand suicide bombers and killing for religious reasons.

5. ERIZENO

ERIZENO Senior Member

this is just so sad.

i hate what we are capable of doing to each other.

can i get off this sinking ship now ????? oh thats right no one can.

6. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

if saddam was still in power, none of these people would have died.
    thank god we freed them from their oppressors.

7. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

how insane is it?
    they are promised eternal paradise for blowing themselves and others to pieces.

of course i have no clue about after-death...
    but my heart tells me there won't be a reward waiting for these mass murderers.
    i wonder if their soul will realize what pain they inflicted.

i don't like the name 'suicide bomber' either.
    they're 'homicide bombers'

8. villain

villain Veteran Member

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v82/agentarcana/waroniraqPg60.jpg'>

[img]http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v82/agentarcana/waroniraqPg61.jpg'>

9. villain

villain Veteran Member

^^^^ I agree with this guy

10. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

good call. that phrase has now been forever altered in my vocabulary.

11. metallix

metallix Elite Member

yeah well in reality they are neither. "a suicide/homicide bomber" is really a "strategic explosive delivery system"

12. I dunno about this statement...

This situation is so royally fucked I can't even begin to imagine how it can be fixed.

13. Devilush

Devilush 12oz Legend

imagine how long we're going to be in this situation.

now that thought scares me.

14. adderall

adderall Elite Member

sad shit only getting sadder

15. villain

villain Veteran Member

We can either force peace among these people like saddam did or we can give them a reason to live together peacefully in some kind of americanesque society. Which is what those pages from that book are talking about if you read that. People seem to forget that we have the same people living here in the US but without the same kinds of problems.