Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

graff INSIDE sf city hall...

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Graff Jesus, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Graff Jesus

Graff Jesus Guest

San Francisco Board of Supervisors President Matt Gonzalez, who has thumbed his nose at the establishment before, let a graffiti artist spray paint his City Hall office walls with the bright orange message: "SMASH THE STATE."

There is irony. There is art appreciation. There are raised eyebrows.

Gonzalez, who has hosted monthly art installations in his office by unknown and known artists for the last four years, offered up this graffiti for one of his last exhibits before he exits City Hall on Jan. 8. Gonzalez did not seek re-election.

[​IMG]

The timing and placement of the artwork are interesting, seeing how City Hall is a registered historical landmark, and you need approval just to hang a bulletin board -- and seeing how Mayor Gavin Newsom, Gonzalez's rival in the mayor's race last year, has been issuing strict edicts about the city's and public's responsibility to clean up graffiti vandalism.

The artist's message in traffic-cone orange that appears behind Gonzalez's desk was painted by Barry McGee, an internationally known San Francisco artist whose work first appeared anonymously in the 1980s on outdoor walls and tunnels.

more @ link

2. society_kills

society_kills Junior Member

thats the coolest thing i have seen in quite some time.

3. fools B talkin

fools B talkin Junior Member

Im into twist's new hand styles.......oh and the message, oh and the board of supervisors president Gonzales

4. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Guest

from what i see in that picture, thats garbage. dont get me wrong, i think barry mcgee is fucking amazing and i love his art, but if thats all that there is to the installation, than that is garbage. that is garbage even if one is going for minimalism. i expect half of 12oz to jock this just because its twist. if this was done by some no namer then you can believe wed all be laughing about how lame the mayor is.

5. High Priest

High Priest Elite Member

^Going to have to agree, Why not have twist just do a full on instilation instead?

6. test

test Junior Member

mayve he wanted that shit to look ugly...

7. deathmetal.

deathmetal. Member

taken from the link:

"Gonzalez's private office is part of a public building, and anyone can enter to see the artwork, and he invites them to come. However, the Board of Supervisors president wouldn't allow a Chronicle photographer to take a photo of his walls, citing his concern the newspaper would sensationalize the graffiti angle and not give proper respect to the artist."

wow, its refreshing to see someone with power actually have half a brain.

8. Herbivore

Herbivore Senior Member

i doubt Twist had the intention of making it look 'dope'... it's the message involved that's more important than the visual appeal. and no, i wouldn't be laughing at it if it were done by a no-name artist, because the message would still be there, and i actually think the look of it is very fitting.

9. ha#8481234

ha#8481234 Member

come on! its art with a message. of course it was made to look like a sloppy tag. that should be pretty easy to understand if you have ever seen twist handstle. duh

10. Capt-Crunk-206

Capt-Crunk-206 New Jack

personally i think its a sick handstyle , especially those drips!

11. society_kills

society_kills Junior Member

i like the hand style cause its raw.

it appeals to me.

a regular writers handstyle would not provide as good an effect in my opinion for the instilation. especially since its in city hall. city hall does not deserve the beauty of a regular Twist script in my opinion.

12. 48:16

48:16 New Jack

i think you missed the point.

if he had done a "graff" installation, i doubt it would've been accessible to nearly as many people. believe it or not, not EVERYTHING any writer has ever done has to be directed at our very small subculture of people.

13. war pigs

war pigs Dirty Dozen Crew

twist actually did do some of the stuff he's known for..it just wasn't posted or flicked

"McGee, whose City Hall wall work was unveiled last Friday, included some of his trademark cartoonish faces of sad sack characters, including a man with bulging eyes. A second element includes painted blocks of wood, arranged in a way that is reminiscent of parquet.

When Gonzalez unveiled McGee's work, some attendees of the show added their own messages to the wall: "Wacky-doo-wacky-doo wacky-doo"; "Write on that wall!"; "Matt, may peace and love follow you in all your endeavors.""

if you read the rest of the article...

14. skem

skem Junior Member

so this was done legally and consider an art exibit? thats pretty wack.

15. InDY_500

InDY_500 Veteran Member

Very cool, Chicago will never let anyone do that here...