Cryababy Award given to 13 yr old: Who deserves it in Channel Zero?

GamblersGrin

a funny article. i know there are some people in channel zero who could use the crybaby award haha.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apu...Crybaby%20Award

N.J. coach fired over 'Crybaby Award'

By JOHN CURRAN

ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

Terrence Philo holds his 3-year-old son Teron, as he speaks with reporters about the "Crybaby Award" his 13-year-old son Terrence Jr., was given at a sports banquet last month, Tuesday, May 4, 2004, in Pleasantville, N.J. The coaches of a middle school basketball team may face sanctions. The Pleasantville Board of Education was expected to discipline the unidentified coaches responsible at a meeting Tuesday night. (AP Photo/Mary Godleski)

PLEASANTVILLE, N.J. -- A middle school basketball coach who presented a "Crybaby Award" trophy to a 13-year-old player has been fired from his coaching job, and the board of education wants him out entirely, officials said Wednesday.

James Guillen, 24, must make a public apology, attend sensitivity training and hold a second banquet to give out a proper award, School Superintendent Edwin Coyle said. But he said he opposed firing him as a teacher.

The boy's father, Terrence Philo Sr., said that just before the April 24 banquet, Guillen called the boy and told him he would be getting a special trophy.

At the banquet, the teen watched as all his teammates received trophies or certificates. He was then called up to receive his award, and the coach told him he was getting a Crybaby Award because "he begged to get in the game, and all he did was whine."

The trophy was a figure of a baby atop a pedestal engraved with the boy's name, which was spelled incorrectly. Family members said the teen was deeply embarrassed.

On Tuesday, the Pleasantville Board of Education voted to fire Guillen, rejecting Coyle's recommendation for lighter sanctions even though the board's own attorney said hiring and firing recommendations must come from the superintendent.

Coyle called Guillen's actions "totally unacceptable" but said an outright dismissal would be too severe a punishment. He said he would ask the board a second time to authorize, instead of firing, a five-day suspension without pay for Guillen and the forfeiture of a $3,000 pay raise. The board meets again next Tuesday.

Guillen has yet to speak publicly, but school officials quoted him as saying the award was his idea alone. He did not respond to requests for comment made at the school and through a representative of the New Jersey Education Association.

The boy's father said he wants his son treated fairly.

"I just want what's right. I want my son to have a trophy and certificate like everyone else got. No less, no more," he said.

Others wanted stiffer penalties.

"He should be fired," said Gina Jones, 43, a parent who attended the board's meeting Tuesday night. "You should just have better sense."

Vernon Walker, who coached in a league in which Guillen played as a teen, said "crybaby" was used to tell players "you argue too much and to focus more on your play. It has to be taken in context." Still, he said, Guillen showed poor judgment.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by ese

< strongbad voice > more like UN-pleasantville < /strongbad voice >

I think Strongbad would fully support the idea of a Crybaby award. Someone should send him an Email about it or.... something.....

Damnit... now I want to know guys.

Come on.. play fair... you have to tell me.

Pleeease?! Pretty please? I'll cry if you dont.

oh wait... ;)

Gotta act fast devilush! Carpe Diem! Or so the saying goes......I dunno, I drank way too much coffee today.

Hmmm, I'll admit I have a tendency to complain way too much about certain threads sometimes.

Archived