chuck palahniuk...he is the man

LaCosaNostra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

"The books are never about what you think they are about. Survivor is really about our education system because I feel, more often than not, kids are sort of taught or trained to be the best possible cogs in some big corporate machine. They're not really taught in an empowered way that they can start their own company so that they can create and run their own lives. They are sort of taught to be just good employees, to just fit in."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Guest im not witty

i enjoyed survivor and fight club and choke very much. invisible monsters was pretty good. but i didnt like lullaby at all. so much so that i havent looked at his new one. meh.

Guest im not witty

supposed to be a survivor movie but it got pushed back after 9-11. plane hijacking and all that. maybe soon.

LALABY IS THE SHIT.

YOU NEED TO READ IT.

anyone read diary? is it good, its been sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

and survivor....words caan't describe how genious that novel.

i was wondering what other people think about the ending to fight club...its set up so that it can be interpreted that he is eiter dead or in an institution...what yall think.

Originally posted by LaCosaNostra

yea, that's bullshit....Survivor would make suuuch a great film.

no, it would make a great show, but wouldnt follow the book, and there would be multiple seasons with people stranded on islands and in africa..

Originally posted by 8onus

anyone read diary? is it good, its been sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

same situation. it's sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. it's so fucking depressing. i start it, and never finish it. it's depressing the way a sunny, but too hot to do anything Sunday is.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Yeah, I believe that was GUTS. As I said in that thread, if that story is indicative or representative of Palahniuk's books, I have zero interest at this moment in reading more.

Originally posted by fermentor666

Diary is a good, quick read. It's actually really depressing past the first few chapters, too.

just for the record, today's weather is slightly apathetic with fits of rage

diary was coo, choke was better....

Originally posted by iloveboxcars

Diary gets better later in the book.

I think I'm going to read Survivor over again (for the 3rd or 4th time) after I'm done with Siddhartha. So I'll probably begin Survivor tomorrow. yay.

I read Siddhartha last summer, it's an amazing book. I was told that back in the 60s/70s it was a huge deal, too.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

Yeah, I believe that was GUTS. As I said in that thread, if that story is indicative or representative of Palahniuk's books, I have zero interest at this moment in reading more.

no, it's not at all and you should check out his stuff, i stopped reading Guts after a few paragraphs, i couldn't handle it......on another note, i got fight club in bok form last night and i'm on page 124 now, bout halfway done.....i red alot.

good writer

Originally posted by El Mamerro

Yeah, his books aren't terribly similar to that story.

I'm a big fan, read all his books yada yada yada, but I'm starting to be able to relate to those who are sick of people talking about him.

Every book is like some asshole trying to self-destruct because they cant accept what an asshole they were in the first place. Good for their fictional ass, bad for me taking shitty advice from emo fags and wasting valuable jerk-off time reading such redundant shit. I can only blame myself.

Originally posted by Mexican Food

Every book is like some asshole trying to self-destruct because they cant accept what an asshole they were in the first place. Good for their fictional ass, bad for me taking shitty advice from emo fags and wasting valuable jerk-off time reading such redundant shit. I can only blame myself.

ha, pretty much. I find that makes for a good read, though.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by LaCosaNostra

no, it's not at all and you should check out his stuff, i stopped reading Guts after a few paragraphs, i couldn't handle it......on another note, i got fight club in bok form last night and i'm on page 124 now, bout halfway done.....i red alot.

good writer

It's not that I couldn't handle it, it just seemed completely unnecessary. He was talking about something worth talking about, but in the most indulging, frivolous way I could possibly imagine.

If that's the way he handles themes (not talking about the gross angle in particular, but the draping of an unnecessary extravagant veil over a central theme so as to make the story appear more "unique", and give the false impression it's groundbreaking stuff), then I don't have much interest in going through a book of his. I do think he's really clever and perhaps insightful, but I don't know if I dig the way he goes about presenting the material. Nevertheless, I'll probably give it a whirl at some point.

Archived