Kicking back and talking shit with Misteraven

misteraven

So, thought I'd start my own non-topic-ish type thread and see where it goes. Actually been thinking of starting my own group, which would be structured as a sort of town hall slash group chat. Not that I think any of you guys really hold back from telling me what you think or asking me questions, but was thinking if I might do a little better to cultivate an environment that encourages it more.

Anyhow, I keep in touch with a couple of you guys in real life and most have asked how things are going after noticing I've been somewhat absent for the last two weeks. Truth be told is I've been more swamped than usual and between that and the holidays, I havent been able to hop on like normal. Weird thing is that I actually feel the absence unlike most of the last couple years. I still check instagram somewhat regularly, but not entirely unusual to skip a day or two completely. Further to that, I genuinely don't miss it either. Now in an ironic twist, I check the activity feed here on the forum and feel like I'm missing out.

In any case, there's been some pretty incredible conversations going on in regards to the screen printing stuff. Hoping that first quarter of next year ends up being a pretty significant turning point that it appears to be leading up to. Been a ton of work juggling all that and wearing so many hats and looks like we'll have a couple people officially joining the real life team next year. Been trying to get a handle on the brand side of things as well, but that has taken a lower priority. That Stadium 1984 tee was a super huge challenge with so many placements, such tight registration and we definitely learned a ton doing it. Again, super proud of it, but certainly wasn't easy. Also had some rush client gigs hit in the middle of it so we had to keep pausing that project, which delayed the fuck out of it. Kind of accepting the fact that I need to narrow my focus and ensure the screen printing business is solid before taking the next step with the brand. Not that I'm pausing anything, just that I know recognize as much as I'd like, I just don't have it in me to get the brand on a respectable schedule of steady releases, especially with the bar I try to maintain, designed, printed, promoted and sold, and also run the print shop. Next steps were to develop and launch a new 12oz core site so its not solely a shop, establish a real calendar of releases, as well as establish a tight distribution network of a 25 or so quality shops around the world. Anyhow, I'll keep dropping tees (actually reprinting the stacked logo as we speak and getting the next new graphic together), but until I fully establish the print shop and have the help I need there, can't do much else without shit falling through the cracks.

So that's sort of the latest from my end. Pulled my son out of school to go back to home schooling since the public school environment just isn't challenging him to the degree he needs, so that's some more big change happening. Thanksgiving was mellow, but lots of good food and had a few friends over. But yeah, juts a shit ton of work and wanted to fill you guys in. I have tried to keep tabs by at least looking at the activity feed and clicking on some main threads, but was just way too busy seeing real life stuff through to be able to engage on here.

Oh yeah, I did write a long ass thread about credit in the Jekyll Island group, so go join that if you're interested in that conversation. So that's the cliff notes version of my last two weeks in case you were wondering. Happy to answer questions of fill you guys in on any lingering shit you might have.

Been a minute since we've done any rally up type conversations and wondering if the end of the year might be a good time to put out another round of outreach. Any other comments of suggestions for that? Anyone feel strongly about the need for another forum based tee? (Been trying to come up with something meaningful / impactful for a follow up to the Reunion tee).

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The Home schooling approach has turned into a comfortable indifference with me. As a dude who worked in education for a long time I'll always be an advocate of the social benefits of public schools. Regardless of the dangers they carry these days, both psychically and mentally, I stand with that basic ass right of passage shit. In hindsight, I used to have stronger feelings towards home teachins but now it seems so much more common and useful, and not weird at all. Especially after meeting so many kids that have come out of it. Right on if it works for your family!

What kind of books, or podcasts are you up on in recent times? I listened to that Jocko podcast you suggested a while back. Every time I tried to listen to something that caught my eye I'd never make it to the meat of the title. Rad war stories though. I love hearing about shit like that. Makes me wish I had that old timer in my family with all the juice. Sometimes I think about volunteering at some kind of veterans home or even a normal one just so I can potentially befriend someone who done seen and done some real shit. 

5 hours ago, misteraven said:

Anyone feel strongly about the need for another forum based tee? (Been trying to come up with something meaningful / impactful for a follow up to the Reunion tee).

yes.

I'm not sure how you'd follow up with that tee cause it was pretty awesome...but i'd like to see more shirts like the until death tee.

I'm very particular when it comes to tees, and one of the things i really like is the old school style of having just the logo on the front and the main graphic on the back.

i like that theres a 12oz stacked tag on the bottom of the tee and there is no tag on the upper inside back where tags usually go.

also, i like the painting...more works of art similar to that would be dope.

other things i like about tees in general....tight collars and short sleeves but long enough to cover the elbows...like 90s brands...conart, cross colours, karl kani, etc.

not saying the tees have to be super baggy and big like back in the day...i just want to be able to skip a day or two of lotioning my ashy elbows.

• Like 1

Interesting diversity of comments and questions, thanks for participating. I'll answer / respond to each, so keep them coming...

12 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Good luck with everything. How tough is it being your kids teacher?

also- which VR headset should I get?

Thanks man. My wife takes the lead on this and we're only just starting again. We had homeschooled both kids for two full school years before moving where we are. After moving out here, it was extra rural and most homeschool groups were religion based so the kids felt a lack of social activity. We were too new to the area and had so much going on that it was hard to find alternatives for the social side of things and decided to let them back to government school. My daughter flourished, participates in tons of activities, volunteers for tons of stuff and is excelling at some pretty advanced curriculum. My son went into it after scoring above the 98th percentile nationally in math when taking the assessment test, and has largely suffered through it. He refuses to do homework, yes aces most tests. A teacher straight up told us that he socializes in class instead of paying attention, but still aces everything. Problem is the other kids he goofs off with are unable to do the same. Either way we've been advised several times that they don't have a program in pace to accommodate kids as smart as he is. So now my job is to infuse coding / web development into his curriculum, which then branches off to ecommerce development, which leads to a primer on small business and ancillary skillsets like product photography, etc. He'll also get looped into the screen printing business more formally and I plan to use all I do as a teaching tool to help supplement the core curriculum my wife will teach.

Not into gaming much anymore or even the newest gadgets so I can't advised on VR. Seems like the stuff the main console makers make or perhaps the stuff drone makers like DJI would be a good place to start. I'm sure there's plenty of reviews online and on youtube so search.

9 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

The Home schooling approach has turned into a comfortable indifference with me. As a dude who worked in education for a long time I'll always be an advocate of the social benefits of public schools. Regardless of the dangers they carry these days, both psychically and mentally, I stand with that basic ass right of passage shit. In hindsight, I used to have stronger feelings towards home teachins but now it seems so much more common and useful, and not weird at all. Especially after meeting so many kids that have come out of it. Right on if it works for your family!

What kind of books, or podcasts are you up on in recent times? I listened to that Jocko podcast you suggested a while back. Every time I tried to listen to something that caught my eye I'd never make it to the meat of the title. Rad war stories though. I love hearing about shit like that. Makes me wish I had that old timer in my family with all the juice. Sometimes I think about volunteering at some kind of veterans home or even a normal one just so I can potentially befriend someone who done seen and done some real shit. 

I have very little faith in government schools, same as I have very little faith in any government institutions. Basically school has largely become a baby sitting service and its amazing to see how poorly prepared for life most kids are. Basically they're taught to sit still for 50 minute increments, follow a specific curriculum that has been approved by your government and only answer whatever questions get asked when called upon. Actual critical thinking, true exploration and questioning is all but stamped out. Basically they're preparing you for a cubicle so you can grow up to be a good tax payer, plugin to a debt based economy and drone on for a lifetime.

I get that not everyone is cutout or qualified to homeschool their kids, but once you cut out all the fluff that government school provides, it condenses down to about 3 hours of focused learning. As a parent, nobody will have my kids' best interest at heart as much as I will and based off my own experience and understanding of the world around me, feel that for most aspects, I can better prepare my children for a successful life as adults than a government school system is capable of. Never mind the partisan politics that lurk just below the surface, the fact that the majority of teachers just don't seem to really give a shit as long as they maintain their tenured position, backed by unions, to remain in place and go through the motions of whatever the higher ups have deemed as the method and subjects they want taught. Sorry man, but there's a reason that home schooling is a growing trend its obvious how it if gains real traction its a threat to the status quo. If nothing else, socialization being the main driver of why homeschooling might be a bad idea (at least thats what seems to be the first criticism almost every time I've had the conversation), is pretty far down the list of priorities especially considering what type of socialization it actually is. Both my kids are extremely social and seem to do better around adults and capable of participating successfully in adult type conversations than the average kid I see out there. Again, I have little doubt we'll do a better job overall and there's a lot of tools and services that allow for best of class education compared to the gamble that they might get that awesome 1 out of 50 teacher that truly is capable of impacting the life of a student.

Anyhow, this is a pretty big subject and deserves its own thread if you'd like to explore it further.

8 hours ago, CALIgula said:

yes.

I'm not sure how you'd follow up with that tee cause it was pretty awesome...but i'd like to see more shirts like the until death tee.

I'm very particular when it comes to tees, and one of the things i really like is the old school style of having just the logo on the front and the main graphic on the back.

i like that theres a 12oz stacked tag on the bottom of the tee and there is no tag on the upper inside back where tags usually go.

also, i like the painting...more works of art similar to that would be dope.

other things i like about tees in general....tight collars and short sleeves but long enough to cover the elbows...like 90s brands...conart, cross colours, karl kani, etc.

not saying the tees have to be super baggy and big like back in the day...i just want to be able to skip a day or two of lotioning my ashy elbows.

Yeah that was a pretty great tee. Thought about maybe doing a new release of it in a new color way or something, but then again its cool for those that got down to look back and have that. It did pretty well, but surprised I didn't sell 10x more considering it was offered at $12 to a lot of you guys and at $12 off to just about everyone else. Besides being a really cool graphic with a really cool story, who else sells tees for anywhere near that. Those that bought it can speak to how well it was printed as well.

The blanks we use has been a constant topic of debate for me. We use a blank that is basically what you describe. Its the most common blank used by skate companies and seems to be pretty solid as far as not having to baby it. Its a heavy weight 100% cotton blank, but happens to be an open yarn weave, which is what gives it a rougher hand feel compared to some other blanks that are ring spun and / or combed cotton. The trend for a lot of not streetwear brands are the ultra soft lightweight tees that have a more tailored fit. I can't stand them personally and feels like something my wife would wear but cut to my shape. I like heavy weight tees that are going to still be a solid part of a t-shirt collection a decade later. In regards to heavy weight tees, there are options for ringspun, combed cotton versions of it. They cost a little more, but not prohibitively so. I like the shape, which is similar, maybe a hair more slender and definitely longer, which I appreciate since I'm tall. Both are available in an array of colors as well, but the softer feel blank I'm describing is generally harder to acquire. Anyhow, I'm really thinking about it and dumb as it may be part of whats holding me back is that so many other brands also use the rougher feel blanks that we already use. Anyhow, I've gone back and forth on that too many times to count and have yet to finalize a decision.

• Like 1

Damn yo, leave to @misteraven to let the dogs out on that knowledge. When you put it that way it makes so much more sense lol. Not that I wasn't aware of those specific benefits  and how shitty the subject matter or focus of public schools is but damn....You smart. 

Edited by NightmareOnElmStreet
  • LOL! 1

Yeah, I brag about your t-shirts to anyone that notices them when I'm wearing them.... and show them how high quality it is.  I wouldn't change anything about it and I definitely agree that the heavy weight shirts are better because they don't feel like cheap shirts that are going to fall apart or wash the print off after 6 months of laundering.

• Like 1

I for 1 fully cosign for any tee that appreciates this forum and its users.

I can't believe you're schooling your kid, I have a 15 year old and I don't lie to him but I'm certainly glad he gets taught the basics of education better than I could do it (I've seen his maths homework, I was fucked)

I love the tees, I've got the beef one and cant wait until I can get the others but pre mentioned kid and life gets in the way of that (anyone in the sneakers thread knows where my money goes)

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 8:46 AM, misteraven said:

The trend for a lot of not streetwear brands are the ultra soft lightweight tees that have a more tailored fit. I can't stand them personally and feels like something my wife would wear but cut to my shape. I like heavy weight tees that are going to still be a solid part of a t-shirt collection a decade later.  

This!

Yes.. I've noticed that a lot of tees are going this soft lightwear route. Fuck that.. give me durable and non form fitting... nobody needs to see my dad bod anyways. 

• Like 3
  • LOL! 1

On 12/4/2019 at 12:03 PM, misteraven said:

Thought this was interesting... Maybe some trendy bandwagon shit, but maybe not. Think this is something that might help entice new users to the forum?

https://www.reddit.com/coins

screencapture-reddit-coins-2019-12-04-09_59_00.thumb.png.d049df82d0798666468af34eec033a53.png

It’s like a premium version of the props we have here. You pay, get some points and unlock bonus features. Then when you give out awards for good posts/contributions that person unlocks those bonus features for themselves for X amount of time. It helps pay for the server costs and I think it does encourage and reward users who put the time in to add great content 

• Like 1

Have the index build and the content section of the new 12oz site fleshed out. Made pretty good progress for how much time I could allocate but had to switch focus. Anyhow, I’m excited to get this live when I can but will definitely have to rally up some help for the content and for some of the other things I’d like to do that are related to all this. 

Anyhow, figure I’d share and bump this. 

• Like 3