The Cider Thread

Joker

With the rise of ciders in the last ten years I suspect more and more people partake in drinking them, and probably have a favorite. I've been drinking hard ciders since the 80s, back when Strongbow and Hornsby's were the only ones you could find... IF you could find them. 

My absolute all-time favorite cider has to be ANVIL from Sonoma Cider, which shut down operations about a year ago after losing funding. Bummed... me... out. Recently I came upon the mother-load and bought the store out of all they had - Twelve 22oz bottles. Special occasion shit, for real. 

sonomacider__92243.1404800417.jpg.6b53c02ecf90896e13f25f4b859af8ac.jpg

I'm also a fan of Thistly Cross Whisky Cask

TCC_WC.jpg.31be5c23d4176f1ea4dfeb07750d0f23.jpg

But my everyday cider Reverand Nat's Hard Apple

RevivalBottle.jpg.368dda9cafe07a0c77a18929920a71ec.jpg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Have enjoyed for a long time.  When I started noticing them I think it was like Woodpecker and Woodchuck were more the available ones.  I still get some of the Woodchuck ones here & there.  A lot of local spots have started doing them around me, farms and orchards and such, so I've had a few of those recently.  I also like a good pear cider once in a while.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Don't come across many decent/traditional ciders in Aus, will have to keep an eye out for some.
I've been planning a few homebrew ciders for the Mrs, always take the easy way out and use decent store bought juice as a base.. 18ish litres of apple and or pear with a litre or 2 of fresh squeezed juice, some black currents or frozen berries or something for a bit of flavour then ferment out for 2 weeks with cider yeast. Fill the keg up, back sweeten with lactose if you like them sweet (I prefer them a bit dry) 20L/5Gal of easy cider ready to go 

• Like 2

I mostly drink ciders now after discovering I'm a bit allergic to something in beers

image.thumb.png.749918ffc652ca52834ad858b40a2f74.png

this is good

image.png.7dc40d787fc37ca16cc715ec4e84b3d8.png

this is also good but a lot dryer.

Most other ciders in Australia are yuck

somersby, strongbow etc.🤮

these give a rotten hangover sometimes but what are you gonna do.

image.png.2140da847f0071287974db45b3f8d1b9.pngimage.png.ba0b9d139215c1943426b41cde468fa4.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Had this last night and it was really good. A little pricey for a four pack so I only got one to try... and now I have to go back and buy a whole four pack. Hate it when that happens. 

Ruwet_Brut (1).jpg

Also been enjoying these...

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 3.59.01 PM.png

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Permission to mention mead here/thread bump @Joker@Media Onelast mentioned it in the beer thread but it's closer to cider.  One of the best I've had was on tap and flavored with cherry and hot pepper.  Having this.  It's ok, but a bit low in the alcohol for a mead.  If you're not a mead guy I can relocate to the beer thread 👍

image.png.6bd4cbfe371aa2ed09113102849ddb97.png

• Like 3

@One Man Banned

I have not tried mead yet. I've been to several breweries that had mead on tap or available in bottles but I've made the leap to give it a try. I've heard it's an acquired taste but I've also heard it tastes like a cider/beer mix. So one of these days I just need to give it a go. 

And totally fine to post that here. 😁

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 12:36 PM, Wyeast said:

Never thought I’d say it but beers gotten kind of boring lately. Been checking out some ciders. This was a cool taster flight. they had a watermelon that was siiiick! Nice location too. Oh and they have a lil food truck with pizza 
FD9ADB9D-7222-4C16-9E79-CC121045280A.thumb.jpeg.aebdff948118b02d8cb4ecafd928baa7.jpeg

@Wyeast

The Gorge White House is one of my favorite places to go when I'm out that way. Often the wife and I will make a day trip out of it and just hang out there for hours when it's a beautiful day. Actually, just did that a few weeks ago. They have great ciders on tap, the food truck offers pretty good food, and the setting/scenery is pretty spectacular. 

The only drawback is that it's become quite the popular spot over the last two years, especially on a nice day. Won't keep me from going though. 

Fox Tail Cider is just up the road and has some good ciders as well but your view is a parking lot and the road, not as beautiful as The Gorger Whitehouse. 

• Like 1