Happy Australia Day Oontz

theprotester

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Fuck Xfire, that joint is dead as are any convos that occur there. AOD arguments and "OMG, it's the illuminati, wake sheeples" crew pretty much killed it. I saw Frankie the other day, he even asked me if the Xfire arguments were still going, lol! Dude is on a kickarse scholarship at a kickarse university these days - yes, jealous.

To chime in on the discussion about bases there are a growing number of Americans who are opposed to providing military protection for other regions/nations, I'm one of them.

Yeah, going to be really interesting to see how a new generation of voters will evolve in the US on the back of the WoT/Iraq II. There will be those, like yourself who oppose US interventionist foreign policies, that usually manifest in terms of military action, who are motivated by these beliefs to vote. I think you'll see a new conservatism arise that is more socially liberal with shit like legal dope and gay marriage but more politically conservative in terms of small govt and a more restrained foreign policy.

On the other hand there is the chance that there will be increased disenfranchisement of the youth and voting/political activity will decrease due to skepticism bought about by the WoT, the GFC and impunity of those responsible, the intensification of capital and resources under a smaller base of the population and cynicism due to Snowden/Chelsea Manning type leaks, that I think will continue.

Personally, I think it will be the former to begin with but I see the challenge from China increasing over time and that will eventually motivate a more adventurous foreign policy. I believe this because I don't think y'all will like what China becomes.

Dollar for dollar this seems to only serve an economic return for a dwindling number of America's elite class at best. Sure, we'd feel a pinch if China invaded our allies in the region, but not as much as the people from that region, who ultimately should be responsible.

You'll feel more than a pinch, mate. The US will have less investment opportunities, your market will shrink in terms of influence next to that of the Chinese and more decisions by Asian states will disregard US interests. Global champions in fields such as manufacturing, aeronautics, auto, retail, entertainment, mining, energy, agriculture, green tech, etc. etc. will lose lots of money and that means both tax revenues and jobs in the US will also decrease. You'll feel that and this is just for starters.

Our military's taxation based funding comes mainly from the sweat of working class Americans. Some of that funding could be going towards better investments. Cyber Security, Satellites, domestic infrastructure improvements which would ultimately provide better returns.

Agreed to a point but the military are big cyb/space clients from firms such as Beoing, North/Gru, etc. The military employs a lot of people as well as a huge amount of incidental industries and businesses.

We've got towns and small cities within our own borders that have been hard hit, and sometimes economically devastated by base closures. As a tax payer, knowing how much I've personally funded our military, I feel like the regions we feel obligated to protect should be doing more to secure their own borders or paying back some of the costs associated with providing stability.

That's actually a cornerstone of the current US strategy, to encourage allies and partners to do more to ensure their own security. One perspective is that if the US displays commitment to the region that countries such as Japan, Australia, Thailand, ROK, etc. will have the confidence to invest more in regional security on terms that support US interests. Pulling back from the region risks that these countries will do more for their own security without considering US interests.

A good example is what happened in East Asia after Nixon announced the Guam doctrine. Countries like Thailand, who are US allies, reconsidered how they would do things and began to balance their actions between US and Chinese interests. That's not good for the US, you want them to play the security card in cooperation with the US in a way that encourages China to act within the current structure rather than change things to suit China over US interests.

But if you look at the region I think you will find that countries are doing more in terms of providing security. Japan has announced a massive increase in defence spending and is moving to normalise their constitutions away from a pacifism. ROK has been on a defence restructuring and expansion for a number of years now, there is an explosion of submarines being bought in the region (Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, Vietnam, etc.) as well as a number of new capabilities being introduced to the region.

The risk is that these new capabilities will actually destabilise the region rather than secure it. Most of these countries have little experience in operating submarine fleets, the environment is crowded and incidents at sea are a greater likelihood (and when you're dealing with strategic capabilities like subs distrust is high and shit can spiral quickly). The supersonic anti-ship missiles are an asset that cause strategic level consequences, are cheap and once deployed cannot be called back....., etc. etc.

With all that risk some argue that having a US dominated and managed framework for the Western Pacific increases the chances that shit won't go horribly wrong, that these new capabilities won't increase mistrust between nations and that they will likely all work to shape Chinese growth in a way that doesn't overthrow the current system....., which is a system that has massively benefited the region since the end of the Cold War.

Obviously the more secure Japan, Korea, and even Australia are, the better off we all are including Americans. My only concern is that this is disproportionately distributed across the backs of the American's workers. I can't say there's zero return on investment here, but ultimately I feel Americans economic commitment to being disproportionately militarized isn't off limits to re-evaluating.

I think that is largely occurring though. The Sequester has cut back massively on defence and security spending already and other nations (unfortunately not Australia though, because our politicians have short-term political goals as opposed to being leaders of a nation....) are hiking their own spending and activity. You also have to remember that the US has a much larger population than most of the region and your GPD per capita is also vastly, VASTLY greater than the whole region put together. So you will always see the US spending much, much more than others in terms of foreign and defence policy as a percentage of GDP, of govt spending and in absolute terms.

What you want to do is to have a fairer tax system where the highest tiers of US earners pay an equal percentage of the costs, you want to see a decrease of wastage and pork-barreling as well as greater use of US soft power, which already has seen the US military do pretty amazing things in terms of humanitarian assistance and disaster relief in situations like the 2004 Tsunami, the Fukushima shitfight, Cyclone Haiyan and Nargis, etc. etc.

Sorry for the wall of text. Complex matters are not discussed in short.

bouncing-boobs-gif-5.gif

bouncing-boobs-gif-14.gif

Cunt is my favorite word, I easily say it more than any human being who has ever lived.

To the Aussies:

How do you feel about the new shark culling?

Do Aussie girls like American dudes?

Mate, do you wake up with spiders in your shoes?Your cunt ratio would be like 1/100 to any Aussie tradie.

Aussie girls a mad sluts SRS tellem shit like "You stupid cunt, I'm an actor" if you are American it will work.