Anyone have any input about Master's degrees/Law school/etc?

En Sabah Nur

My older step sister decided to get into law. The input I gave her at the time was to be aware that all lawyers were scum bags and why would she want to join their ranks. She went on to graduate at the top of her class, join a firm and approach partnership with a quickness.

Then she realized that lawyers are scumbags and did not want to work with them.

Now, my advice was juvenile in some respects but I think it deserves some reflection before you begin walking down this path.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Strangely enough, I have a friend who has a sociology degree who just took the bar this summer. She got out of law school in three years, so it's possible if you make that your focus.

I'd do it if it's what you really want to do. It involves a ton of reading about precedent and procedure, but you probably already knew that. I was considering taking a paralegal course at SF State, but I've decided that's not what I want to do for a living.

You might want to consider getting a job in the business, maybe as a law clerk or calendar clerk so you can get an idea of what it's all about. You don't need much in the way of schooling or qualification as long as you're organized and professional.

The latter. Like I said, it's not hard for people who are organized and have a good memory....if not, then it could drag out the process unless you work on those aspects or cheat.

She's really smart and has a good work ethic, so it was easy for her besides having to put the rest of her life on hold.

I have a Bachelor's in Sociology. It's useless.

I'm a social worker (if you've been keeping up with the Special Edition thread/blog), which is pretty different from sociology, but i can't seem to find any job that hires for sociology that isn't social work. It's a shitty job that pays nothing. I'd have been better off joining a union.

So I might want to get my Master's... but not in Sociology because I can't imagine it'd be much better. I've been out of school for a few years and I hate school and college people. And thinking about being 30+ by the time I'm done is depressing.

I'm considering the following things:

Law

Human Resources

Political Science

Urban Studies

Psychology

anyone here, uh, higher educated?

p.s. if i could do it all over again i'd have done physics. but i don't remember math anymore.

you don't wanna be a lawyer. they're cunts.

you should be a doctor. then get a good lawyer.

business is a good idea i s'pose.

p.s. tangential, but if i stay in kansas city, my ultimate goal was actually to start a nonprofit youth center. i grew up going to all ages punk shows and all my friends were punx, even though i mostly listen to hiphop and reggae. anyway, i now work w/ teenagers; i think kids get in a lot of trouble just from boredom. i ended up being politically active, not drinking and partying, etc, mostly because i had a positive alternative... anyway, i'd like to start a venue like that that's also open in the afternoon for workshops in art, writing, computers, screenprinting, bboying, skating, whatever anybody wants to teach. the venues in my adolescence never made enough $. but i think the workshops would justify nonprofit status and enable us to write grants to complement whatever other money we're bringing in.

There's a bunch of college shit in the thread Soup was ranting in, but this is less FTW, br0!... that's good.

It's also good that you know where you'd like to end up. There's a lot that a BA in Soc can lead into and it's a good start toward anything community/non-profit related. MBA in non-profit management, maybe? You could probably double dip and focus on both sides (in the office and out) if you have some background in community work. Plus, if you can do a fair job in N-P work, the for-profit places will love you because n-p usually means an assload of work for not a ton of cash... so crossover into the private sector is an option.

Do some research... you've got some serious universities in KC, set up a meeting with someone in the school of management programs and ask a lot of questions.

my job is cool on good days, but fucking awful on bad days. most people don't get spat on and punched in the face and called nigger at their jobs, much less more than once, and have to just put up with it.

Which joke to go with- 'Sounds like you need a new boss', or 'They do if they're slaves'? You decide.