Anyone have any input about Master's degrees/Law school/etc?

En Sabah Nur

I have a Bachelor's in Sociology. It's useless.

I'm a social worker (if you've been keeping up with the Special Edition thread/blog), which is pretty different from sociology, but i can't seem to find any job that hires for sociology that isn't social work. It's a shitty job that pays nothing. I'd have been better off joining a union.

So I might want to get my Master's... but not in Sociology because I can't imagine it'd be much better. I've been out of school for a few years and I hate school and college people. And thinking about being 30+ by the time I'm done is depressing.

I'm considering the following things:

Law

Human Resources

Political Science

Urban Studies

Psychology

anyone here, uh, higher educated?

p.s. if i could do it all over again i'd have done physics. but i don't remember math anymore.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I know very little about studying law, but I used to work at a bookstore in a law school, and know this- tons and tons and tons and tons of reading, book prices will kick your ass, tuition will kick your ass even more with or without financial aid. I've asked a couple of the students who have been there, and they say that it's really hard to study. For the three years you'll be in law school, you would have put in a fuck load amount of work, plus you need to pass the bar etc.

ps. I'm majoring in psychology, but feel it's gonna take a while to get somewhere.

Have you considered in taking a 2 yr course at a community college? Depending on the school

they might offer some things you might be interested in, and will require little time which can

land you a pretty good paying job.

goodluck.

Figure out what kinds of jobs you could get in any of those fields and what services the schools you are thinking about going to offer in relation to career counseling, internships, placement etc...

I'd avoid law unless you are actually interested in it.

Otherwise you'll just be mediocre lawyer with huge debt in a shitty work environment doing someone else's shitwork.

I'm a social worker (if you've been keeping up with the Special Edition thread/blog), which is pretty different from sociology, but i can't seem to find any job that hires for sociology that isn't social work. It's a shitty job that pays nothing. I'd have been better off joining a union.

So I might want to get my Master's... but not in Sociology because I can't imagine it'd be much better. I've been out of school for a few years and I hate school and college people. And thinking about being 30+ by the time I'm done is depressing.

Law

Human Resources

Political Science

Urban Studies

Psychology

p.s. if i could do it all over again i'd have done physics. but i don't remember math anymore.

my father just finished paying off his law school debts and he turned 50 last august.

be sure this is something you want to do... you cannot file bankruptcy on college debts.

im going the business route due to flexibility and my noggin has a lot of entrepreneurial ideas brewing.

I have been in your shoes. went as far as taking the lsat and getting acceptef to law school here in ny. what do i do for a living? i am a proud member of a local construction union.

too much $$$ too much reading. and its technical put you to sleep reading unless you honestly love law. i have a b.a. and can get a "white collar" position but i honestly love working with my hands therefore i have no regrets. plus i am a licensened and insured contractor. i take on the work i want to when i want. answer to no one.(as much as anyone can ) and last year i pulled over 100k. and 0% went to school loans. i cant tell you what to do. you have to make that decision. do waht you like and the rest will fall into place.

• Like 1

I have been in your shoes. went as far as taking the lsat and getting acceptef to law school here in ny. what do i do for a living? i am a proud member of a local construction union.

too much $$$ too much reading. and its technical put you to sleep reading unless you honestly love law. i have a b.a. and can get a "white collar" position but i honestly love working with my hands therefore i have no regrets. plus i am a licensened and insured contractor. i take on the work i want to when i want. answer to no one.(as much as anyone can ) and last year i pulled over 100k. and 0% went to school loans. i cant tell you what to do. you have to make that decision. do waht you like and the rest will fall into place.

coming out of high school i wanted to do construction or something and i didn't because i knew i'd get guilt about it from the fam and other people since i was always 'the smart kid' in school. but i guarantee i'd be making at least twice what i do now.

i only keep my job because looking for jobs sucks, i have job security, and i have benefits. i'd make more waiting tables. my hourly is a little over $11, and after benefits and taxes it's shite. i moved back in with my mom before i left for samoa, thinking i'd just keep my stuff there til i got back and could look for a place, but i'm still living pretty much check-to-check with no rent. granted i probably spend A LOT on alcohol because i'm in training for my future as a homeless basketcase.

1st, if you only have your BA you're not a social worker, yet. Depending on what state you live in there's a lot of different things you can do w/ that degree and it's worth looking into what roles you can play if you really like that field. Stepping up to an MA/MSW isn't incredibly hard for social work and will increase your earning potential a bit. In some places, once you get the MA it isn't hard to step that up to an LCSW, where you should be able to make some good $$ and have more options of what you can do. Again, it would be worthwhile for you to explore what got you into that field, what you like about it, and where you would like to go w/ it.

As for psych, that will take a time/$ commitment and with the MA you might be a little more limited vs an MSW and you should see what your state allows an MA in psych to do. Some states will allow you to get some form of licensure with a little extra coursework. In other places, you're really not going to have as many options unless you go on to doctoral work. In some states social workers have more jobs than psychs in particular areas, in others it's reverse, so it's worth knowing what you want to do. Some social workers can do counseling type things. On the other hand, psychs can do intelligence & personality testing.

Human Resources? Urban Studies? No diss, but what the fuck are either of those really and what kind of careers does either have? Personal bias, but I think either of those would probably be more interesting from a soc or psych perspective.

Law is good if you want to make the commitment. Same advice as above, look more into what you can do at different educational levels in law, see where you would like to go with it, and then decide if you're willing to throw down for that amount of time.

input on a master degree? its a shit load of bucks. other than that, i know a couple who both had ba in sociology and continued onto yale to pursue law...it's been working out real well right now for them..they just took the barr test and did well, blah blah...regardless...if you have an interest in law, whatever area that may be, there is a good chance you will be able to earn your monies back...unless your headin in the non profit direction... good luck en sabah nur

Law

Human Resources

Political Science

Urban Studies

Psychology

start studying for LSAT now. Its no joke! DO it! Get the money! - Civil Engineer ( My fiancee is in Law School, at a top 20 school. Its no joke. You cant work first year so save save save now!)

Damn good thread so far.

Been wondering a lot about my future as well. Im currently enrolled in college trying to figure out my major and shit. I'm leaning towards english. My dad is a lawyer, so my rationale is that if he was able to complete law school then I probably can as well. Im in a class right now called intro to legal studies and I just finished reading a chapter or two in this book called a brief intro to law. I gotta say, I really duno if that shit is for me. It's pretty boring and then yeah ya gotta go to even more school and pay even more tuition and more book fees. Without a real passion for law its very easy to see how one could just become a mediocre lawyer making mediocre money being bored to death behind a desk in a cubicle in an office wearing a tie yada yada yada. fuck. So im definitely wary of taking that route. Not to mention the amount of work that law school will entail and additional boring texts that will have to be read.

I really wish I was better at math otherwise I'd definitely want to take the business route. Thats where the money and fame and glory and bitches reside. I guess I'll just have to stick with my strengths in english and see where that takes me. Would be dope to write for a sitcom or some shit...

A friend of mine just got his masters in HR, he likes it and it pays well. Human Resources always sounded really sinister to me. Kind of like the douchey marketing way of saying organ harvester.

i don't really know what it is either, except that the HR people at all of my jobs have seemed cool. my exgf's mom did it too. and she was cool. so, uh, yeah.

move to another country and teach English as a second language.

smoke trees

????

profit nigga.

i was pretty close to doing that in samoa. still might. here's me, there:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs043.snc3/13043_561299514779_66800327_32580917_7703933_n.jpg

i was standing about 30 feet from our house, 2/3 of that whole bay is family land. granted, our house was pretty demolished by the tsunami... could be living there rent-free if i could just commit to leaving everything else behind. and no i don't do rap letters so i'm not revealing my secret identity on here by posting that.

if i spoke samoan better, and thought i could meet a girl there that maybe moved from usa/nz and had some things in common with me as a city-boy, i'd see no problem with moving there and just picking fruit, fishing, and fucking and making babies all day. i hadn't been anything close to happy in 6+ years aside from the 2 months i spent there.

i'm not passionate about sociology or my job. sociology is like majoring in having an opinion. you write your papers on whatever the fuck you want, as long as you make it fit the theory.

my job is cool on good days, but fucking awful on bad days. most people don't get spat on and punched in the face and called nigger at their jobs, much less more than once, and have to just put up with it. getting burnt out.

like i said, i wish i'd gone into a math/science field, but when i went to college i didn't have to take any of that because i already had dual credit from my high school classes. and the reason is primarily that i think my brain is probably capable of it, and should be put to use or whatever.

can't say that's a passion though. never had one, really. i'm always jealous of friends that've had a hobby since high school, majored in it, and now do it as a living.

i spend most of my time fantasizing about murdering rich people and hipsters. and rich hipsters. is there a degree for that?

homie it sounds like you wanna kick back with some sexy ass island girly and family it up in the pacific on an island somewhere.

do that shit, it will also help you learn the language.

its cool as fuck, it helps people, it pays ATLEAST around what youre getting now and youd be where you wanna be.

the way i see it is nothing youve done is the last thing you can do.

open doors to hallways, not empty rooms.

business is a good idea i s'pose.

p.s. tangential, but if i stay in kansas city, my ultimate goal was actually to start a nonprofit youth center. i grew up going to all ages punk shows and all my friends were punx, even though i mostly listen to hiphop and reggae. anyway, i now work w/ teenagers; i think kids get in a lot of trouble just from boredom. i ended up being politically active, not drinking and partying, etc, mostly because i had a positive alternative... anyway, i'd like to start a venue like that that's also open in the afternoon for workshops in art, writing, computers, screenprinting, bboying, skating, whatever anybody wants to teach. the venues in my adolescence never made enough $. but i think the workshops would justify nonprofit status and enable us to write grants to complement whatever other money we're bringing in.