THE GRATEFUL DEAD SUPERTHREAD

shai

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Legion Of Mary - May 21, 1975 Keystone (Complete)

great recording. I haven't made it all the way thru yet. On the plus side its Youtube. You can vid to Mp3

this one. It has a nice slideshow too. Love seeing them 70s pics.

Not the best run but nowhere near as bad as some people are saying. Among my favorite things the GD did was nameless/formless jams. I feel like phish is sort of abandoning this and it bugs me. I don't care if its a jam that leads to nowhere. Shows start to feel canned when there is no exploration. My guess as to why the run lacked panache is after Dicks they went their seperate ways and tours. I think they played well enough but just didn't have the same cohesion they have mid-late tour. It didn't feel forced but it wasn't entirely comfortable either.

so. When u think summer tour dates start touching down?

• Like 1

It seems like open ended jams are a thing of the past for the Phish, save for the occasional show. This bothered me at first, but the jam length wasn't nearly as much of an issue to me as it was how they were sounding and gelling (or not gelling, rather), especially during 2009. They're sounding leaps and bounds better than 09, and I've accepted the fact that they're just not going to be as good as they were went I was seeing them 15, 18 years ago. I look at it not as lowered expectations, but just accepting that times change and you have to roll with them. That being said, they were really on at the Colorado run and I was definitely hoping for a continuation of that at MSG. Clearly they weren't practicing as much as they should have been. Trey sounds like he's firing on (close enough to) all cylinders since summer 11. In fact, so does the rest of the band, they really do need to either keep up the touring or practicing more during the time off. As far as the "canned sound" I hear ya. It's pretty obvious that when they hit the first note of a song now, they've got a real good idea when they're going to hit the last note of it. If they don't want to put on 30 minute experimental jams anymore, so it is, but if they're going to perform like this, it would be nice to hear them at least get the song to be cohesive from beginning to end. I don't understand why they're still constantly flubbing composed sections. (not practicing enough, i guess). Even in the songs where they are going to go off on a jam, they cant seem to get the composed sections right. Listen to the Piper from the run. The Jam is great, but it starts off so damn rocky and an intro that could take 10+ minutes is now done in two. Again, it is what it is, but couldja at least get through those two minutes without sounding like shoes in the dryer?

Summer tour dates? Your guess is as good as mine. Rumors are flying about a fest in Jersey. I'd like to see them back at Watkins Geln. Either way, I'll be at a few of them....force of habit.

i heard about new jersey. Watkins is supposedly out tho. Apparently an abbreviated summer tour. Im only good for a week probably anyways.

In the past ive heard some pretty forgettable trey contributions. Songs where he flat out sucked at guitar. This isnt the case now. They just need more practice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
looks like a couple deer creek shows in the forecast. Serves to suggest a midwest loop.

where im getting this from

What im playing right now: (all 5/77 is benchmark standard. No news there) this particular Comes a Time is specially special. super moody

Buffalo Memorial Auditorium on 1977-05-09

that 'comes a time' is IMO their greatest performance of any song.

One of my FB "likes" is the Grateful Dead (surprise!) and for the past few weeks they've been featuring Dead covers by various bands. Some of them are pretty good...if you're on there it's worth checking out. They might be linked via dead.net too.

I don't know why (following Jerry's lead?) but they ALWAYS pulled out all the stops on "Comes A Time".

FTR, going to check out this local GD cover band tonight "Playing Dead." I checked them out about a month ago and had a real good time. They've got some interesting setlist, last time in the 2nd set they pulled a

Scarlet -> Fire -> William Tell Bridge -> The Eleven

I was stoked. Good stuff, stoked for tonight. Dancing Deadhead milfs FTW.