THE GRATEFUL DEAD SUPERTHREAD

shai

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

those phil shows at the Warfield Theater with trey n page remind me of 72-74 with a mature GD setlist. Trey sounds nothing like jerry and they have entirely different playing styles but back in the early 70s before the unfiltered cigarettes got the best of his voice Jerry could sing well enough and hit some notes if he wanted to. Then you got Donnas bad in the mix but over trey instead. Nice to hear her in there. Page doing what Keith did until 78 when he recoiled and stopped caring. The only strike against any of it is Phil trying to sing. Wasn't as bad when Page was singing with him but Phil shouldnt sing.

That St Steven is the biz. The whole run is fire. Really is

Some of my favorite Dead is the acoustic hookups they did in the early 80s at the Warfield.

fun times Theme. How do your Lakewood plans look like? Cheap to fly in and out of Atlanta, busy airport. Wish it was a run in Atlanta or even a couple night stand. Should be. Wouldnt mind some Halloween dates. Arena shows. Not real sure thats gonna happen. NYE somewhere different.

Got Furthur lined up Wednesday. Phil can throw down no question but the man has a terrible voice and insists on singing Jerry ballads. Still extra excited. Sucks i cant make it to Chicago tomorrow.

Phil & Friends - Warfield Theater 1999-04-16 Trey, Page, Donna, etc.

Check out the 15th and 17th. real nice.

Good times, good hanging out. I had to get out of that god forsaken campground and get to a hotel with a shower like you wouldn't have believed. $80 cab ride to Albany? Done.

Atlanta is a go. I've got my flight booked and tickets. I've got that extra pav still, btw. Denver is up in the air until I sort out my "car situation." I'm guessing no Halloween and NYE @ MSG.

That Phil and Phriends is good, but the other one is mo' betta- w/viola lee. If PH didn't get back together, Trey would have been a great fit. At least he's got his own style, as opposed to Kimock, or the other fake Jerry Furthur's got now. Oh well. I'm just glad Phish is back and are finally starting to play killer shows again. Go to Atlanta!

yep working out the details on ATL. My go to sitter told me she would do no more overnights. Its only a day but I have to be covered before I start making travel plans. Seems like an easy quick hitter. Certainly let you kno sooner than later so you can make different arrangements for that ticket if i cant make it. No Halloween is a bummer. No fall no Halloween and MSG...cmon son.

Don't forget to pack some sunblock....after all, your pasty complexion isn't exactly ideal for playa living.

Well why don't you give me a call I just got two fire extinguishers I wanna go play with this week.

Also I'm not worried about the sun, I have it from good sources that, that little problem is going to be dealt with and we are no longer going to have to worry about the big ball of fiery death in the sky anymore.

late jerry lost some tone - 92 and on but early on the man was like butter shot with WD40. Will never cease to amaze me. 79-85 pissed off on stage half the time scowling. Rest of the band probably looking for any excuse to call him out for his dope. He kept on point probably trying to prove em wrong & he lost something in the process.

University of Oregon on 1993-08-21 That SOTM. After jer crushd the solo... that "BE WITH YOU" ::the magic:: almost suggested he was no where near finished.

• 5 weeks later...

Don't listen to theme on this one, especially since further has the guitarist from DSO playing with them now. I've seen some awesome shows and some not awesome shows it depends on the incarnation of the band, and the night. I will say i've definitely been skipping the shows the last few years since they haven't been impressing me but that might be due to me seeing them far to many times.

I saw DSO at Hardly Strictly last year, and my impression was that they're technically proficient but not inspiring. Furthur just doesn't sound right....it's not so much the lack of Jerry so much as the lack of transitions that I would expect to hear. Maybe it is the lack of Jerry...there's definitely an ineffable quality that's not there.

I've never seen or heard The Other Ones or The Dead, so I can't comment on them but I imagine that it's more of the same. Might be wrong but I doubt it.

I listened to Legion of Mary and Reconstruction the other day.....kind of bummed I missed out on that for so long. Didn't someone link some Reconstruction here at one point?

Both of your posts point to a lack of Jerry, brahz.

Shai, The Dead, and The Other ones are all the same as Furthur, + or - an original member, a fake Jerry or some other guitarist who doesn't gel with the band quite right. DSO is definitely not inspiring, I mean, they're a cover band, after all. They're good for what they are, though. I'd still go see them over an unpredictable Furthur who plays either too slow, disjointed, or once in a great while actually go somewhere. I linked a couple Reconstruction shows in here a few pages back.

I got your text, illum, wish I could have made it to the SF shows this year, that pass looks like it would have made it all the funner.

It's Phish only for live, improvised, psychedelic music, these days, imho. The Denver shows are some of the best I've seen them perform since 98. Top notch stuff. Time to start planning for New Years.

It's like a vegan grilled cheese or a vegan BLT- the person offering it to you can tell you it's good, and everyone around might be enjoying theirs, and maybe it's not really that of a bad sandwich after all....but on almost every level of sensation you know it's not the real thing.