THE GRATEFUL DEAD SUPERTHREAD

shai

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

pretty sure i pointed nature boy out from that video before.

Ive been passively watching and activly listening. Forgot this is

the video but look around the 25 minute mark at dude dancing on

top of a platform behind the stage.

great video. Thats the stuff right there

Not me, I'm broke.

I have reliable friends here you could talk to that might be going, though.

My friend just got back from NYC and said he paid $250 to catch one Furthur show out there. I had no idea it was like that...people were getting let into the Weir/Hornsby show here, from what I consider reliable sources.

Oh great, so now who do we rely on for BGCA tickets when we don't hit in the lottery, my SF friends drop the ball, and regular tix sell out before we even have time to turn on our computers?

Dude i already made reservations at the W, 3 rooms. I know a few other people who put in for extras in the lottery who agreed to sell me the extras if I need them, so I'm not to stressed about tickets even if it means I got to buy your ticket for a night or two. I'm not going to say shit can't go wrong but don't expect a ball to be dropped. I can't control if I go to jail or some bullshit but dude I already told work I am not around during those shows, no exceptions! Just saying.

So your other friends out here might drop balls, and be left scrambling for tickets but trust in that is a weekend to rage hard. So hard you might not be able to work for a few days after.

Also I got no tour plans as right now except for this

http://www.songkick.com/festivals/397343-emissions-west-coast-bass-culture-4th-annual-by-camp-irie-cartel/id/12429823-emissions--west-coast-bass-culture-4th-annual-festival-by-camp--irie-cartel-2012

Camp ?/Irie cartel throw down for one of the best weekends of the year for yet another year. Hopefully no fucking snow this year, that shit sucked last year. So many people I know woke up in a collapsed tent full of water sunday morning. Seriously this is one of the premiere west coast electronic festivals with a great vibe to it.

http://www.stringcheeseincident.com/

2 3 day runs of cheese! cheeserocks, and hornings hideout, and a 2 nights in berkeley. West coast cheese is gonna be fucking awesome! I am trying to find hornings tickets since I haven't been since 03 and probably will do the berkeley shows.

Might start my summer with this work dependent.

http://www.joshuatreemusicfestival.com/mayartists.htm

the guy who throws this seriously has an ear for music and in my 5 years of going to his festivals I have never failed to be disappointed. Go to this festival if you have never been and are in the area, beyond amazing is all i can say.

Symbosis ?

http://pyramideclipse.com/

Been debating going, Nevada scares the fucking shit out of me especially for a festival. But they do know how to party and have an insane lineup.

This looks dope and I would go but don't know if I can afford it or get time off work

http://summercampfestival.com/

This is high on my list of events to hit for the first time this year

http://www.shambhalamusicfestival.com/

I've wanted to go to this for 3 years now, and still haven't been. I hear the most insane stories about this festival and how badass it is.

STS9 + Unphrees + hornings = awesome

http://regenerationfestival.com/

not quite as good as mayan holidaze which i need to go to still but yeah it will be awesome if i can make it.

Ok and last but not least for those of you who can't get home this summer due to yet another ticket fiasco...... FUCK THE LOTTERY!

http://www.mutantfestival.org/

Longer, cheaper (FREE!!!) fucking 100% awesome. Been talking about bringing out a stage since an event I was working with got cancelled during that time frame.

I'll update this later when I know more and if any of you are going to these feel free to hit and lets drink a beer and rage!

TTITD

Anyone on here got a ticket they want to sell me on the cheap so I can go?

EDIT: also for those of you who like funky break sets peep this

and go see him at Emissions!

I've got an extra Lakewood. If you don't get them from the onsale, you can grab it.

I'm on the fence with SF. Last summer Tahoe was the super small venue impossible ticket and three of us all got in each night with ease. Thing is, I had a ticket for the Hollywood bowl show already, and was staying out near Tahoe as it was, so it made sense to roll the dice, being in CA already. Flying out to a smaller venue right in San Fransisco with no ticket and getting in is definitely possible, but I don't know if I want to spend the money if tickets end up on expensive end. My CA boys gotta get it in gear, but I'm already calling ball droppage. Illuminatus, if you get tix when they go on sale, get as many as possible and hold one for each night for me. If shit doesn't work out when they go on sale, I'm skipping Cali. The northeast shows, ATL and Denver will "have to do."

Mutant Fest is SPAZ people, which means "potentially stuck out in the middle of the woods with a bunch of candy raver cougars."

Or-

"How was Mutant Fest this year?"

"The usual...fucking in tents."

I like some of the SPAZ folks but I'd have to be on a lot of drugs to deal with Mutant Fest.

• 2 weeks later...

i have 9 hits of blotter in a square with a steal your face design. i'm sure it evaporated years ago, but i only picked it up for the print anyway. if i can find it, i'll scan or take a picture and post it here.

after misplacing that for a couple years i finally found it last fall.

2011-12-25111445.jpg

2011-12-25111511.jpg

i got a little frame for it and gave it to my dad for christmas. (meant to post this months ago, but login problems and stuff made it a pain in the ass.)

2011-12-26124114.jpg

bonus: a couple signed framed prints from my dad's collection

2011-12-26123727.jpg

2011-12-26123822.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chances are getting better I'll be hitting Lakewood. I have a $150 airline credit thats expiring in a few months I had completely forgot about. Super stoked for this weekend. 2 shows and 2 ballgames in 24 hours. Still not driving. ATL looks easy for someone flying in

Uhhh i want that blotter

I know what you mean Shai, but I have only heard a few songs from different albums so

this will be my first start to finish grateful dead sitting. What I mean is that I have to listen to

everything at least once over to make my mind up on what's good or bad. Not being egotistical

or nothing it's just the way I roll. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Fair enough, but I predict that you will be left asking yourself "What happened after Terrapin Station?" The short answer- age, drugs, and outside producers.

If you want the real deal, I recommend archive.org to everyone.

Hopefully you obtained the remaster of "Live Dead" which is probably their best album.

• 2 weeks later...

Shai - You must really be quite the connoisseur, as I did see them differently after towards the end...

I can defiantly say that the dead should be a staple in any music collection. The dead on wax must be incredible as it is superior

to digital files imho.

Can anyone shed some light about the Deads affiliation with Jefferson Aeroplane. Was there any hostility

between the two bands? I kind of get the Beatles vs Rolling Stones vibe. Its probably just me, just thought I

would ask.

They definitely had one of the best soundsystems I've ever heard.

The streams on archive.org are lossless conversions of soundboard tapes unless otherwise indicated, so if you have a decent system you're hearing a fairly accurate representation of the source material.

This explains the connection to Jefferson Airplane...

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2010/12/jerry-garcia-surrealistic-pillow.html?m=1

Check out "Happy Trails" by Quicksilver Messenger Service....it's one of the best live albums I've ever heard.

fun times Theme. How do your Lakewood plans look like? Cheap to fly in and out of Atlanta, busy airport. Wish it was a run in Atlanta or even a couple night stand. Should be. Wouldnt mind some Halloween dates. Arena shows. Not real sure thats gonna happen. NYE somewhere different.

Got Furthur lined up Wednesday. Phil can throw down no question but the man has a terrible voice and insists on singing Jerry ballads. Still extra excited. Sucks i cant make it to Chicago tomorrow.

Phil & Friends - Warfield Theater 1999-04-16 Trey, Page, Donna, etc.

Check out the 15th and 17th. real nice.