The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

Bump Konigs hoeven. Got a 4 pack of the quad in the fridge now.

Picked up a case of these last week when I was in GA:

rye.jpg

the case was close to its "best by" date, so I talked the cashier into selling me the case at a 25% discount. Already halfway through it, I love this beer.

Also got a 6er of these. Good stuff, not as hoppy as I expected though. Nice session beer, IMO.

420.jpg

..and next week my favorite bar is tapping a keg of my all time favorite beer, the beer that got me into hops and introduced me to good beer - Hopslam. I can't fucking wait.

bells-hopslam(2).png

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About those Sam Adam's utopias...

Not worth the price. People usually snatch them up and re-sell on E-bay or Craigslist at rediculous rates. It's more of a collectors item than anything. And I do believe that somebody in Europe has topped this as the beer with the highest ABV.

Uhh yeah... Scottish Brewdog with the 32% TNP.

nuclearpenguin2.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I think they're known mostly for their belgians, none of which I've tried. On the subject of american brewed belgians, I finally got around to trying one of these last night, after working at a store that sold them for almost two years and never bringing one home.

allagash.jpg

I really enjoyed this. Nice and creamy, very smooth, perfect carbonation, and not nearly as heavy on the spicy esters as some other tripels, recently I've been drinking alot of fin du monde and this thing was much mellower.

yeah i tried the Ska brewing variety pack in a can

ska_can.jpg

4191560792_9865a8565d.jpg

avb62009beer.jpg

nice bouquet on all 3. all very drinkable, but i usually like my ipa's stronger.

other than that good beer, i still don't care for cans but whatever it didn't ruin it.

17386.jpg

dark horse cream stout

gross; imagine old coffee poured into an ash tray and served chilled.

i do like other dark horse like the scotty karate and doppleganger but this one stay away from

out of the mainstream jappanese beers ebisu has the most unique taste

on the regular i like kirin. sapporo is next; last is asahi

i absolutely hate happoshu which is just a disgrace to even be in the beer section

the only thing is most of the japanese beers are made by budweiser in usa

this was according to the guy where i buy my beer.

edit that ^ however i have never had

i will look for it if i am ever in southern japan

Somewhat true. If you're overseas it is made there, and they obviously have more shit that we don't get in the U.S. I don't buy anything here that isn't made in Asia, check the label. Sapporo has a number of beers that I don't see here that are pretty good. Kirin I avoid in the U.S. because Bud does make it here, but I had to have some in Asia and there are some differences.

Got to have my Hopslam tonight. It was... not as good as I remember it being :o . Had it on tap so maybe that affected it, but it's intensely citrusy this year, to a fault. Can't taste the background honey at all. It was just high powered hops and citrus, and I usually love hoppiness. Between this and Pliny the Elder, Pliny wins, hands down. And from what I've heard, Hopslam is going for $18-23/sixer this year. Way more than I'd be comfortable paying for it, IMO. Last time I bought a sixer I think I paid about $15.

That being said, if you find it on tap or have the money, give it a try. It's a good beer, I just think I've outgrown it, if that makes any sense...

vermonster.JPG

I tried what has to be the most talked-about barley wine in America last night (due to monster energy's now abandoned lawsuit.) It was actually pretty damn good, very well hopped and alcohol was well-concealed. If you're used to barley wines tasting excessively spirit-like or solventy/astringent, this is a good one to try. Strangely enough I found it got dramatically less complex as it warmed, but fresh out the fridge it was delicious and almost refreshing, if not for the 10% ABV.