Your -vs- You're

Bojangles

Ok,

Because I almost have a fucking stroke at every encounter of the error, I want to set things straight:

"YOUR": Takes possession of a noun like "your momma" or "your graffiti sucks".

"YOU'RE": is short for YOU ARE such as YOU ARE incapable of differentiating your from you're.

Or...when YOU'RE banned from 12oz. I'll dance on YOUR e-grave.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do IT & IT'S freak you out too?

Slightly, but nowhere near as much for some reason.

*Edit: now that I think about it...almost not at all really. It's not as noticeable.

It's just when I'm reading a sentence or paragraph with the your/you're thing, it's like a train wreck to me.

Maybe it's the booze talking but somethings gotta' give.

I can never use this one right:

THEN:

1. at that time: Prices were lower then.

2. immediately or soon afterward: The rain stopped and then started again.

3. next in order of time: We ate, then we started home.

4. at the same time: At first the water seemed blue, then gray.

5. next in order of place: Standing beside Charlie is my uncle, then my cousin, then my brother.

6. in addition; besides; also: I love my job, and then it pays so well.

7. in that case; as a consequence; in those circumstances: If you're sick, then you should stay in bed.

8. since that is so; as it appears; therefore: You have, then, found the mistake? You are leaving tonight then.

–adjective

9. being; being such; existing or being at the time indicated: the then prime minister.

–noun

10. that time: We have not been back since then. Till then, farewell.

—Idioms

11. but then, but on the other hand: I found their conversation very dull, but then I have different tastes.

12. then and there, at that precise time and place; at once; on the spot: I started to pack my things right then and there. Also, there and then.

THAN:

1. (used, as after comparative adjectives and adverbs, to introduce the second member of an unequal comparison): She's taller than I am.

2. (used after some adverbs and adjectives expressing choice or diversity, such as other, otherwise, else, anywhere, or different, to introduce an alternative or denote a difference in kind, place, style, identity, etc.): I had no choice other than that. You won't find such freedom anywhere else than in this country.

3. (used to introduce the rejected choice in expressions of preference): I'd rather walk than drive there.

4. except; other than: We had no choice than to return home.

5. when: We had barely arrived than we had to leave again.

–preposition

6. in relation to; by comparison with (usually fol. by a pronoun in the objective case): He is a person than whom I can imagine no one more courteous

there's that old thread "spelling lessons with THE LAW" that had all of these too. Like 2001 old. (not shitting on this, it was just something i remembered)

oh, there's another one. TO vs. TOO

Too - Excessive - Foods that are too greasy make your keyboard grimy.

To - Used as a function word to indicate relative position - We designed the building so that in order to get to any server room, you have to pass a vending machine!