We live in a nation of pussies...

dosa312

you made it sound like the whole country was changing over.

Theres always a few school districts that are way too sensitive. I just find that when people go off about how "pc" the education system is, they forget how out of proportion the media attention to stupid decisions is, compared to the amount of schools they actually affect.

However, I will say that No Child Left Behind is fucking horrible. and there is ZERO exadgeration about what its doing to the school system right now.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies if it sounded universal... however... systems like this are slowly moving into districts across the nation and more than likely will become the majority. We're facing a dismal future as far as I'm concerned. And I agree... NCLB is one of the most idiotic ideas ever... rather than fund the schools with lower performance to bring them up to standards and pay for decent teachers... we tell them to get up to standards using the current funds and if they don't we close down the school!?!?!

I don't know... from what you quoted of the article, this doesn't seem like a bad system, and I don't think they're necessarily doing it to be PC. Currently, they take the average rate that they expect people to learn at, and apply it to everyone. Smart kids get bored, and the slower kids get lost. It sounds like with this new system, you go to school until you've learned what you need to, and then you move on.

I think I would have preferred a system like that when I was in school.

its all about money.

youth sports leagues are greedy. they want all the parents' money they can get. so instead of making 2 or 3 teams, they have like 8 and everyone plays.

schools are greedy. the more kids they have passing, the more money they get. their solution is to make it as easy as possible to pass.

this country is 100% run on money and nothing else. as long as someone is getting paid, anything flies

True story.

This is gonna be the cause of our demise.

The pc thing applies a lot more to sports and school activities.. like banning tag and dodgeball and shit. The problem I have with the grading system is again... there are no gpa's, class rankings, etc. so evidence of personal achievement becomes limited and those limitations might deter some (not all) people from striving to achieve their highest abilities. It almost seems like it would reinforce mediocrity... IMO.

No offense... but those same asian countries have surpassed the U.S. in terms of technological production and are predicted to become the dominant financial centers of the world in the next decade. So they must be doing something right.
Yes, but this can also be the law of averages. Asia, as a whole, has about half the world's population, the US has only 300B yet is still home to some of the greatest innovation and greatest minds. With as many people as Asia has you will always have the potential to have at least a few world beaters. However, this does not indicate a successful education system, just a large population with potential.

The countries you may be referring to are Japan and to a smaller degree Korea. China has some bright people but their brightest have mostly studied in US, Europe or Australia. The most successful schooling systems can be judged on the sustained success of an economy based on innovation, scientific innovation and service industry (of course there are other factors such as geography, population, resources etc. But, this is elemental. You can have geography, popultaion etc., but without a good education system you cannot use these resources to full benefit like the US and northern Europe has for the past century). Western Europe , the US and Australia are the center of medical innovation, technology and scientific research. tHe two stand out exceptions to this are Korea and Japan. Although, they have had the benefit of strong American influence since WW2 in governance, funding and culture. This has been reflected in their democratic processes, social freedoms, free markets and overall economic stability.

As for the PC bit, I don't enter into the debate. I have a major in sociology and a minor in psych. Yet I still feel that any credible opinion on this matter needs a huge amount of understanding and research. This is much more than a simple education like my own can offer.

We all cling to our experiences and they way things were in our day. Unless we are losers, we will always feel that the way we experienced life is good enough for others. But we cannot draw a valid conclusion from our experiences alone. The way social life works is still an enigma to the best and most educated minds in the fields concerned. So, I don't know if these measures are a good idea or not, I can only hope for the best.

Edited for drunkenessness.........

i dont really give a shit about the education system or that, but i agree with what dosa is saying here.

America is a nation of pussy ass politically correct liberal hand holding tofu eating prius driving fart sniffing faggots.

california is the worst. i cant even carry a fucking gun with me in the streets without facing a 9 moonth weapons charge. the fucks up with that?? let the thugs carry their pieces but a citizen like me cant even legally defend myself?

we cant even drink in most of the parks anymore, or walk around outside with a beer container. WHY!?!?! are we protecting kids or some shit?

if a fight breaks out a million yuppies are on their blackberries calling the police. i havent seen a street fight in a long ass time, i used to see them on a frequent basis when i was younger.

most of all i fucking hate liberals. which is ironic because i live in a city full of these vegan ass tight pants wearing dorks.

When I played Little League baseball, my dad often coached the teams. My dad came from the old school where if you played on a team, and you sucked, you got more time on the bench. If you were a good player and tried hard, you got more playing time. Not in today's time. He had to get all kinds of flack and complaints from parents because their "child wasn't playing as much" as the star pitcher or the guy that could hit home runs easily. So we had to lose a lot of games because he had to insert in shitty players, including the one or two girl players that had no business being out there, under pressure from the whining kids and whining parents. My dad even had to deal with threats of violence from the whining parents and relatives. Back when he was growing up, you actually had to try out for Little League teams (and pay money once you got on). Now, you can just pay money to play. No matter how much you suck.

i dont really give a shit about the education system or that, but i agree with what dosa is saying here.

America is a nation of pussy ass politically correct liberal hand holding tofu eating prius driving fart sniffing faggots.

california is the worst. i cant even carry a fucking gun with me in the streets without facing a 9 moonth weapons charge. the fucks up with that?? let the thugs carry their pieces but a citizen like me cant even legally defend myself?

we cant even drink in most of the parks anymore, or walk around outside with a beer container. WHY!?!?! are we protecting kids or some shit?

if a fight breaks out a million yuppies are on their blackberries calling the police. i havent seen a street fight in a long ass time, i used to see them on a frequent basis when i was younger.

most of all i fucking hate liberals. which is ironic because i live in a city full of these vegan ass tight pants wearing dorks.

Not all "liberals" are faggot ass, anti-gun, snitch ass tofu eating vegetarian yuppies my dude.

Plus what you described for the most part is the entire country. It aint no "liberal" cops that hem you up and run you for warrants for drinking at the park.

When I played Little League baseball, my dad often coached the teams. My dad came from the old school where if you played on a team, and you sucked, you got more time on the bench. If you were a good player and tried hard, you got more playing time. Not in today's time. He had to get all kinds of flack and complaints from parents because their "child wasn't playing as much" as the star pitcher or the guy that could hit home runs easily. So we had to lose a lot of games because he had to insert in shitty players, including the one or two girl players that had no business being out there, under pressure from the whining kids and whining parents. My dad even had to deal with threats of violence from the whining parents and relatives. Back when he was growing up, you actually had to try out for Little League teams (and pay money once you got on). Now, you can just pay money to play. No matter how much you suck.

You're pops should have stood his ground. Even if he got canned, at least he'd still have his dignity.

And yall "good players" should have ganged up on the faggot kids daily till they finally just quit. You probably wouldn't have even had to beat their ass, just harrass the shit out of them and keep pulling pranks on them to let them know they aint welcome.

yo

so, it's going to take away any sense of personal achievement?

cuz you can go at your own pace?

so what if you finish school in less time than everyone else?

'cuz with this new system you could do that.

and ya know, get recognized for it.

do you even read this shit before you form a thought about it?

fuck.

yo

so, it's going to take away any sense of personal achievement?

cuz you can go at your own pace?

so what if you finish school in less time than everyone else?

'cuz with this new system you could do that.

and ya know, get recognized for it.

do you even read this shit before you form a thought about it?

fuck.

I recently took an adolescent psychology class, research has been done based around this very idea of self-esteem having a correlation with acheivement. The study pretty much showed that unconditional postive regard actually caused maladaptive behaviors in the kids. On the flipside the children who were given compliments like, 'you tried very hard, good job', actually performed much better than the other kids. yeah.. anyway

seriously

did anyone even read the fucking thing?

how is using your own ability to get through school faster going to hurt anyone except stupid kids that take a shit fuck long time to get out of the third grade?

oh wait ,

I understand now.

most of you would never get out of fucking school if you couldn't depend on a pass/fail system that constantly cycles people through the system with out learning anything.

fuck everyone that posted on this thread except ese.

I think he might have actually read it.