LOLcal news.

soupBDC

My local news channel is tryna tell me bay area roads are the second worst roads in the country behind LA, and that they need 20 billion dollars more to make them not as bad. Apparently, Detroit moved to Canada.

Now they're trying to tell me the air out here is "unsafe to breathe," when California emission restrictions are higher than the Europeans, and last summer our "spare the air" campaign said we only had one bad pollution day when two summers ago we had eight... but apparently the government needs more money to buy magic "better air" potions.

Then they want to raise bus fairs from 1.75 to $2 and student monthly passes from $16 to $28 because they say they can barely afford gas prices let alone health care for the bus drivers.

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Earlier I was listening to AM radio about how pollution is actually down in the bay compared to last year, how the economy is going up in california, and that its not that our government needs MORE money, its that they're fucking stupid with the money they have. Now I've got the TV on and they're saying the sky if fucking falling.

Somebody is full of shit, and not in the sense that they're "the big bad media." I mean somebody is totally full of fucking shit.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Word. I remember reading in the news a year or so ago that San Antonio has the second best tap water in the country.

I burst into laughter as did my wife when I showed her the article because we've been to San Antonio and let me tell you that their tap water is the absolute worse out of anywhere I've ever been.

Their shit is so foggy that you can't even see throught the glass and tastes like a mouth full of chemicals.

Not that I make a habit of drinking tap water though, just sayin.

My local news channel is tryna tell me bay area roads are the second worst roads in the country. Apparently, Detroit moved to Canada.

yeah, and apparently new orleans is underwater again and therefore wasn't taken into account. your news is fulla shit.

Exactly. What the fuck are these people talking about? Im not even fucking with you not-so-much-bay-area folk. This is what they're saying. You can watch it, and tune into AM radio at the same time and get two people who just happen to be telling completly contradictory stories, except one person is interviewing scientists and economy analysts, and the other is interviewing politicians, truck drivers and Pep Boys mechanics.

Probably KGO or KSFO.

The street on the next block over from me looks like it was used for jackhammer practice. A few weeks ago, I saw a bunch of backhoes and other assorted heavy equipment appear in the neighborhood. "Cool, they're finally going to fix that," I thought.

As it turns out, they were fixing the 24" pipe UNDER the street, and not the street itself. WTF? They kind of fixed it...well, they threw down a bunch of metal plates to cover the holes and hotpatched around the edges.

I asked one of the guys when they were going to resurface the street, and he said, "Probably when it stops raining...May or so."

"So the plates are going to be here till MAY? They vibrate my house when trucks go over them and are really dangerous if you're on a bicycle in wet weather. So, you're saying the city is going to leave the road in potentially worse condition for another two months?"

He shrugged...what the hell, he's getting paid, right? I went back later that night with a streaker and tagged each of the backhoes. I'll get my money's worth one way or the other.

ILB tune into 740 AM.

This news just went from laughable to just shameful since they're running the story in every fucking newspaper today. This is how the news is showing up.

1. 65% of LA's roads and highways are in poor condition.

2. SF & Oakland 62%

3. Honolulu 62%

4. San Jose 60%

5. Ssan Diego 53%

6. New Orleans 50%

7. New York 49%

8. Sacramento 46%

9. Baltimore 42%

10. Oklahoma City 41%

11. Tulsa 40%

12. Albuquerque 39%

1. LA car owners on average spend $778 on auto maintenance, which they're saying is a sign of poor roads

2. SF & Oakland $761

3. Honolulu $760

4. San Jose $746

5. San Diego $684

6. Tulsa $682

7. Oklahoma City $661

8. Sacramento $655

9. New Orleans $636

10. New York $623

11. Albuquerque $604

12. Baltimore $586

What pisses me off about this story is that the "Metropolitan Transportation Comission" is estimating it will cost $17 billion over the next 25 years to get Bay Area roads in "good shape," and "keep them that way." Also in 2005, "CalTrans" did their own survey and found that 68% of highways and freeways in Bay Area had "no distress" which was the survey's highest rating. Keep in mind also that we pay for road construction through the gas tax, which then goes into a treasury to be only used for roads and transportation, but the money's not off limits to politicians who want money to be rerouted elsewhere, and many times out of the state. Alaska has two $65 million bridges between two nowhere towns just so they didnt have to pay $6 ferrys, payed for by our gas tax... I guess we can be thankful it was at least used for the roads.

That's bad, but there's parts of Berkeley where the trees have made whoop-de-dos in the street...and instead of fixing them, they just build a bunch of "traffic calming devices" like islands and barriers that turn perfectly good through streets into ninety degree turns or dead ends.

I'm so fucking glad I don't drive in this city, because if I did shit would be getting crashed into on the regular. Or demolished.

I didnt want to post this anywhere else.

MILAN, March 11 (Reuters) - Pro-Palestinian graffiti written in Arabic has been found scrawled inside the cargo hold of an El Al plane during unloading at Milan's Malpensa airport, raising Israeli concerns about Italian airport security.

"It was something like 'Long Live Palestine'," written with a marker pen, Raffaele Veri of the Malpensa airport police told Reuters on Tuesday. "It has happened once before."

Israel's flag carrier, which normally uses round-the-clock security for its planes, said in a statement it had demanded an investigation into Monday's incident, without giving any further details of what had happened.

"Immediately upon receiving word of the incident, the company demanded that an investigation be launched into the circumstances surrounding it," El Al said.

Italian police said the security breach was unlikely to have happened at Malpensa, as the plane had only just landed when the graffiti was discovered.

The Israeli embassy in Rome said it does not comment on security matters.

A source close to the Italian airport police said local authorities only learned of the graffitti after the plane left the Italian airport for Tel Aviv on Monday. (Reporting by Nicola Scevola and by Dan Williams in Jerusalem; Writing by Marie-Louise Gumuchian; Editing by Dominic Evans)