"Is that you Bear Grylls?..Is this me?"

Bruce_1nR

CALGARY, Alberta (Reuters) - A Canadian man survived 96 hours pinned under his all-terrain vehicle in the Rocky Mountains by eating rotting animal carcasses, drinking melted snow and thinking of his grandchildren, he said on Monday.

Ken Hildebrand was trapped face down for four days and three nights in the Crowsnest Pass area of southwestern Alberta, where he tried numerous ways to free himself in below-freezing temperatures.

Throughout the ordeal, he kept wolves and coyotes away by blowing on an emergency whistle.

"I thought of my family and God and that was it," Hildebrand, a paramedic, told Reuters from his hospital bed in Lethbridge, Alberta.

He was finally rescued from the wreck on a little-used trail in the foothills by hikers.

Hildebrand, who declined to give his age, was taken to a hospital in the Crowsnest Pass then transferred to Lethbridge, where he has spent the past eight days being treated for leg injuries and frostbite.

He said he was checking animal traps on January 8 in an area about 80 miles southwest of Calgary, where ranchers had complained of wolves preying on livestock.

The vehicle hit a rock, throwing him off and settling on his legs.

He tried into the night to pry the ATV off with an axe that he had on the vehicle to no avail. He also attempted to lift it up by pounding animal bones into the ground, but his awkward position made that impossible too.

"So I'm in survival mode now," he said. "I had to use what I had at my disposal."

He stayed alive by eating the animals he had collected, although the rotting flesh made him sick, the Calgary Sun newspaper reported.

A hospital official said Hildebrand's injuries are not described as life-threatening, but the newspaper, quoting an Emergency Medical Services official, reported that one leg that was pinned might have to be amputated.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080122/wl_canada_nm/canada_survival_col

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

HERES ANOTHER ARTICLE...THE DUDES ONLY 55... NOT THAT OLD

CALGARY - By the morning of his fourth day in the bush -- trapped face down under his all-terrain vehicle -- Ken Hildebrand considered cutting off his leg to free himself.

Throughout the ordeal, he kept his head and kept his faith. The outcome of surgery today will determine if he will also keep his right foot.

"I definitely have a way to go before I'm healthy," Hildebrand, 55, said from his bed at Lethbridge Hospital, where he has spent eight days being treated for leg injuries and frostbite. "But I still have all my parts, my mind and my family."

With a Bible at his side, Hildebrand appeared nervous as he contemplated the operation Monday night. He had polio as a child, leaving him with a weak left leg. Amputating the foot on his right leg could mean life in a wheelchair.

Even those who know him and are familiar with his character are amazed he's still alive.

"He was out there 96 hours straight and he didn't give up," said Troy Linderman, director of Crowsnest Pass Emergency Medical Services, where Hildebrand is a volunteer emergency worker.

"I don't know how he survived. I know I wouldn't have survived that long in that environment, that cold."

Hildebrand, who lives in Coleman and also works in Fort McMurray, was checking his trapline on Jan. 8 near Livingstone Gap, about 130 kilometres southwest of Calgary, when his ATV hit a rock and rolled, pinning his right leg. He tried to escape but couldn't.

There was no snow where he lay, so he used a roll of surveyor's tape to collect early morning frost, which he licked for the moisture. He tried eating the rotting meat in his trap, but it made him vomit.

Throughout the four-day, three-night ordeal, he kept wolves and coyotes away by blowing on an emergency whistle, he told the Reuters news agency.

"I thought of my family and God and that was it," he told Reuters from his hospital bed.

Friends began looking for him, and EMS staff launched their own search when he failed to show up for a shift on Jan. 12.

He was dehydrated, frostbitten, starving and "hypothermic to the core" when two hikers found him that day and called 911. Hildebrand told them how to make a splint for his leg before they moved him.

He was taken to Crowsnest Medical Centre and transferred to Lethbridge Hospital, where he has already undergone one surgery.

"We're going to go down and see him," Linderman said Monday. "After he was pulled out, he was smiling and laughing.

"He's about the only guy who could've survived that. He told me, 'If I didn't have a quad on me, I could've survived a month.' "