I be brewing my own BERRRRRR!!

ClueTwo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i drank a solid 6 pints of my brew this past weekend and i ended up fairly drunk... tasted pretty good but it could have used another week in the bottles so i'm sitting on my other bottles till this weekend to drink.

next attempt is to make an average amber ale (5 gallons) with a hint of wheat to it.

i think i'll be doing this on thursday and i will take pictures of everything as far as the brewing it goes... wish me luck, and if anyone has any suggestions as far as an amber ale goes let me know

Sweetness..I'm going to judge by your porter if that is the next beer I'm going to brew. Didn't you say it was a family recipe or some shit??

I'm stoked.

didn't include the family recipe. next time. i think i need to modify that. way too strong for my tastes.

i sent an ale and a porter. the ale is aged well, the porter is fresh, but should be aged well enough by the time it gets to you. i've been drinking on it. seems like a very good beer to me.

the next for me, after the australian pale ale, is oktoberfest. that was a damn good beer.

what mix btw?

I know this thread is about brewing beer, but have any of you distilled spirits? I am interested in distilling spirits because I drink way more liquor then I do brew. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction? It will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.home-distilling.com/HD_mpcw_topics.asp

http://whisky24.de/beginner/tmbw.htm

here's what we did last week:

got the water hot and added the grains:

IMG00040.jpg

wrapped it up and let it sit for an hour:

IMG00041.jpg

drain it and put it into pots to reduce to 23 L

IMG00042.jpg

IMG00043.jpg

IMG00044.jpg

yo, i got hops:

IMG00048.jpg

IMG00045.jpg

the hops cooked for about a hour, cool that down:

IMG00049.jpg

IMG00050.jpg

then we dumped that in the primary and added the yeast. threw it in the carboy yesterday. 2 weeks to pale ale!

yeah, we were commenting on that last night when we put it in the carboy.

we did everything from scratch, rather than using whatever dude usually gets, so theres a good chance we fucked up somewhere along the line... i had a spoonful of it yesterday and it good although it was still super bitter and will mellow over the next little bit before bottling

i'm not too sure to be honest, my homie is the one who's really into the whole brewing thing. i just sort of stand around and try to absorb all the stuff he's telling me.

i can tell you that we heated the water up, added the grains you see in the first pic and then let it sit for an hourish to let it do its thing.

we consume a lot of beer during so im always a little hazy on the datails.

i should probably do some reading on the subject

well full grain means you let the grains sit then ran 160* water through it a fuckload of times to get all the sugars out but a partial mash is letting the grains sit in the 160* water then bringing the water to a boil and adding malt extract which is the sugars that you would normally get out of the fuil grain method without all the work

ahhh full grain then. i knew i was forgetting to mention something in my first post.

yeah, we let the grains sit and then ran a bunch of water through (the draining picture) and then boiled it down to the 23L that we needed.

last batch was a partial mash. let me tell you the full mash takes about 2 hours longer. not something to start at 9 on a wednesday evening.

but thats cool, i didn't know the difference....

Damn, going for the full mash..

I just bought another kit, with extract, to go on my round 2..A buddy of mine who's on his sixth or seventh (doesn't have a job) just bought his first partial mash..

Casek, I didn't try your beer yet, but tonight it's on......

We need a beer traders deal going on here..

the next for me, after the australian pale ale, is oktoberfest. that was a damn good beer.

what mix btw?

The Oktoberfest was a Brewers Best mix I found at my local supply place..Item # 1028 from their catalog, and available online for ~$30..

The porter I bought was a recipe from the gentleman who runs the store I go to. We'll see what happens......

I knew the beertrader was inevitable!(Spelling?) Anyhow, Clue, didn't want you to think I was bitchin out about trading, but I just had to pay for a lawyer to keep me outta the jail, and had to pay for tuition. Soon as I get money it's off to the homebrewing store for sure!!

Leta aggin wonk...