I be brewing my own BERRRRRR!!

ClueTwo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today.

bd1.jpg

6:30 am i need this to start

bd2.jpg

Geek out while i eat

bd3.jpg

bd4.jpg

Good crush is key

bd5.jpg

Filtering water for mash in

bd6.jpg

Wait .....

bd7.jpg

Decide to have beer while waiting.

bd8.jpg

mashing in

bd9.jpg

i wanted to hit 152 and well i hit 152

bd10.jpg

What hop shortage....?

bd11.jpg

Filtering sparge water into the hot water tank

bd12.jpg

Sparging

nd13.jpg

more sparging

bd14.jpg

Hops

bd15.jpg

Shit

bd16.jpg

Chilling

bd17.jpg

In-laws drop of vegetables while chilling.

bd18.jpg

gravity check

bd19.jpg

Healthy yeast is happy yeast

bd20.jpg

happy yeast with lots of oxygen, commence beer

here's what we did last week:

got the water hot and added the grains:

You might as well just add the grains in a grain bag in the pot instead of adding the extra transfer in there. Just get the water up to about 155 - 160F and let the grains steep for a half hour of so. You dont really want to boils the grains.

Beer is forgiving as shit though, so I'm sure the pale will turn out good anyway.

• 1 year later...

It's no longer Beer, it's juice!!

I had the exact opposite happen last time I brewed. I must have contaminated it or used too much priming sugar. I had bottles spontaneously combusting in my apartment, then I moved the cases outside because I was too scared to move them anywhere else. Finally I busted out a jug of laundry detergent and threw it at the cases to finsih the rest off. Shit is no joke..I had glass and beer EVERYWHERE...

It's no longer Beer, it's juice!!

I had the exact opposite happen last time I brewed. I must have contaminated it or used too much priming sugar. I had bottles spontaneously combusting in my apartment, then I moved the cases outside because I was too scared to move them anywhere else. Finally I busted out a jug of laundry detergent and threw it at the cases to finsih the rest off. Shit is no joke..I had glass and beer EVERYWHERE...

Nah, mine is still strong beer it just hasn't got a head that last for very long.

In fact, if you like pale ale, give aussie pale ale a try.

P.S: you brewing for Oktoberfest?

I just drank my last 2 beers last night.

one was a Belgian somethin or other. It was triple style with a ton of hops added and i used Belgian wheat yeast.

the other was a Amber with a hefty dose of both rye and hops.

Got 3 beers entered into a competition next week. the Belgian and amber mentioned above as well as a Belgian pale pale.

• 2 years later...

Fucking awsome there is already a thread about this.

Got a kit about a month ago, brewed my burr over the past month and have spent the last week drinking it.

Its delicious, I put honey in the mix which makes it even more alcoholic and taste great, its an amber ale and everyone who has tried it so far says its some of the tastiest beer theyve drank.

Im very happy with it and already have a second batch of some Octoberfest on the way for fall.

Props to the other brew heads

this is something i've been snoozing on for years. any one have any idea how much it costs to get a decent set up going for brewing? i know they have cheap starter kits, but they seem to be missing key components for a brewing set up.

Id start looking here for what you need. The most expensive part of the kit is the brew kettle (big stainless pot).

Currently I am in the process of building something similar to these.

• Like 1

My uncle used to make ale, wine and cider when I was a kid so he's been advising my brother.

He started off with this...

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Lager_Starter_kit_COOPERS_5_gallons.html

But now he's onto this..

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Mashing_ALL_Grain_Complete_Starter_Kit.html

I'm gonna steal his first kit and have a go I think. My brother is an imbecile, if he can do it anyone can but that Coopers kit was super easy, included everything and is pretty cheap.

Midwest Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

$64 for Home Brewer Starter Kit and Ingredients (Up to $127.80 Value)

Groupon deal from SD

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?p=42645376&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=21388&utm_content=u255804&utm_campaign=tu-9999#post42645376

I might jump on this deal, ever since last Xmas I've been eying these kits... haven't pull the trigger yet..