I be brewing my own BERRRRRR!!

ClueTwo

7184159164_fbaf0f06a9_b.jpg

Brewing beer. I’ve brewed 4 batches of beer now all from pre-made kits. I just picked up the ingredients to do a partial grain kit using some ingredients from some popular home brewing message boards. I’m going to “brew in a bag” the grains and make another 5 gallon batch. By next week I’ll have brewed 25 gallons of beer. It’s a lot of fun!

http://blog.adam-jackson.net/

scroll down past the pigs

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway.

Last Thursday I laid down a French Golden Ale, got some hops sent over, and got one of the universities to propagate a French yeast strain for me. She's moving slowly, but should still see full attenuation - started at 1085 so I'm looking for around an 8.5% brew. It will have that floral bitterness that you'd expect from a Belgian.

I'm going to finish primary, and then send her to a French oak barrel for conditioning, then bottle condition with a possible repitch.

How are your brews going redeye? Hopefully now people can log in again we're up for some updates!

culinary school and the job have my time tied up bad these days, getting 5 hours of sleep most nights, with very small break between... :-/

However, brewed a kit of california syrah a few months ago, it's already delicious, but I don't know the percent because the wifey ran teh high-dro-meter through the dishwasher for some reason and it cracked.

next brew is going to be a 90 minute ipa, got the recipe if you want to chat about it, lol.

Ugh. My second brewer just broke my hydrometer today. Get used to purchasing them regularly!

Always up for beer talk. What hops are you using, and what is your addition schedule?

What grain bill are you using?

Fuck, I love beer.

Also, good to hear that the new job is working out mate, and school as well. Very awesome of you.

That's a clever idea.

My problem is in reverse, as it's about 2degC here right now (it's 5am) and I'm trying to push through the high grav Golden Ale. The trials of a brewer, eh!

If you can't get that temperature down, you're best to hold off. Otherwise your beer will taste like nail polish!

That's a clever idea.

My problem is in reverse, as it's about 2degC here right now (it's 5am) and I'm trying to push through the high grav Golden Ale. The trials of a brewer, eh!

If you can't get that temperature down, you're best to hold off. Otherwise your beer will taste like nail polish!

Very true.. this has been the trouble I've had for a while now...especially cause I live in AZ. Here is what I'm going to try:

https://www.cool-brewing.com/Home.aspx

seems to be an inexpensive way to fix the ferment temp issue.

I haven't smoked in years, but my a friend asked me to brew something up for his birthday. Put 10G of bush bud in at flame out. If I recall correctly, a couple of nuggets at start of boil.

I'm not right up on the isomerisation temperatures of marijuana though. But I wouldn't have thought we were achieving full extract.

If you want it to smell like marijuana, I'd dry hop it. If you want it to get you stoned, I'd look into the isomerisation points.

So I was going to be done brewing until the weather was more conducive to fermentation. But I came up with a really super high tech solution. Put the fermenter in a Rubber maid tub with about 4 inches of water in it and a clip on desk fan blowing on the water. Stable-ish in the low to mid 60's. Might be as cool as the cooler box I was looking at but it works.

@ redeyedanimal: it's also soluble in ethanol, just sayn.

So I was going to be done brewing until the weather was more conducive to fermentation. But I came up with a really super high tech solution. Put the fermenter in a Rubber maid tub with about 4 inches of water in it and a clip on desk fan blowing on the water. Stable-ish in the low to mid 60's. Might be as cool as the cooler box I was looking at but it works.

@ redeyedanimal: it's also soluble in ethanol, just sayn.

You could go one step further and add a small aquarium pump to the mix. Pump the water over the sides of the carboy and have your desk fan aimed at the sidewalls of your carboy. Instant swamp cooler.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/swamp-cooler-199965/

Search the terms "swamp cooler" on the HBT forum for a million different ways to make one.

Yeah, see this solution was right in my price range of $0. It was all shit I already had laying around. Homebrew talk is a great resource for all thingS homebrew, but I can't look around too long or I start getting expensive ideas.

Yea, I would avoid the DIY section for sure than. I go in there thinking I want to modify a cooler, and leave wanting to build a 3 keg RIMS setup.

• 1 year later...

My partner moved the beer into the fermenter before I got there. Has a really nice red color. Couldn't get a decent pic of it.

We started a second batch yesterday. Got a Specific Gravity in the 1.050s which I guess is pretty good for an IPA ? The records of his previous brews ( including last weeks) have mostly been in the 1.030s. Stoked.

99EC54EB-0C0C-4990-967A-221D373EF361-5048-000002276CE79C1E_zps05e5df42.jpg

BA489FFF-2D32-463B-8A1F-D2EF5CFDADE8-5048-0000022774452B9C_zps3e5e047f.jpg

3307F1E6-A34B-4D95-891B-2B8E229EE95C-5048-000002277B004F55_zpsbcee1da5.jpg

7A9842DA-495C-431A-A8F7-3E939D676C13-5048-00000227815C434E_zps8e15e1b1.jpg

EE4D4137-019E-4B53-9C76-B1A0E73D8181-5048-0000022787E5D11C_zps38bb2513.jpg

All that soap scum can't be good around the beer…. :(