Lets find the Nostradamus of this site.

Dirty Messican

Guest shai_hulud
techno existed before mtv as well though.

Damn, you're right. It looks like Derrick May and Juan Atkins were doing shit in the mid 70's. According to Wiki....

"Originated in the United states, as discussed below: In the United States, techno was primarily developed by "The Belleville Three", a cadre of men who were attending college, at the time, near Detroit, Michigan. The budding musicians, former high school friends and mix tape traders Juan Atkins, Derrick May, and Kevin Saunderson, found inspiration in Midnight Funk Association, an eclectic, 5-hour, late-night radio program hosted on various Detroit radio stations including WCHB, WGPR, and WJLB-FM from 1977 through the mid-1980s by DJ Charles "The Electrifying Mojo" Johnson. Mojo's show featured heavy doses of electronic sounds from the likes of Giorgio Moroder, Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream alongside the funk of Parliament and the new wave sounds of the B-52s.

"Techno has since been retroactively defined to encompass, among others, works dating back to "Shari Vari" (1981) by A Number Of Names, the earliest compositions by Cybotron (1981), Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder's "I Feel Love" (1977), "From Here to Eternity" (1977) and the more dancefloor-orientated selections from Kraftwerk's repertoire between 1977 and 1983. These electro-disco tracks share with techno a dependence on machine-generated beats and dancefloor popularity."

I was going to just mention Kraftwerk, Giorgio Moroder, and italo, but those guys really were the beginning of techno.

Gotta hand it to ILB this time.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dunno, didnt mtv start in the early 80s?

actually....

MTV (Music Television) is an American cable television network based in New York City. Launched on August 1' date=' 1981, the original purpose of the channel was to show music videos.[1'] Today, MTV broadcasts a variety of pop culture, youth culture, music videos and reality television shows aimed at adolescents and young adults.

and techno as i think of it started after that. like maybe mid 80s....

Guest shai_hulud
haha, beaten by shai.

i was thinking derrick may and those dudes were later than that

So did I. I knew I was right about Giorgio Moroder and Kraftwerk, though.

I want to hear some of those early Juan Atkins tapes.

Yeah it is mostly for the homo factor, I don't think I have ever met or known anyone who is not a homo that would listen to that shit openly It probably just depends where you live and came up around.

Personally I don't listen to music that contains singing be it a man or a woman because I just don't like how singing sounds. Maybe if it is a little excerpt used as a sample but that's about it for me.

Classic rock and shit I fuck with though.

I'm weird I don't make sense probably, I got crazy double standards and fucked up ways I think.