the return of This Is How We Do It(soon to be renamed thread about Montell Jordan)

lykeomgz

so in the start of the movie. its like a guy acting or whatever. and then he goes into his dressing room (the alley) and bam. a big cope throw on the wall behind him. i found it really funny. i just loooked at my girl and was... look its even in fucking cartoon movies

yea thats it. just thought it was funny.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: the return of SHREK

Nah, the animation in the past 30 years has really declined. Very few things that are considered cartoony, or animated entertainment are actually any good at all. America lost it's ability to animate and cartoon well in the 60's.

Long live Marty Blair, John Kricfalusi, Ed benedict, Max Fliescher, Bob Camp, Dave Sheldon, Clampett, Jones, Avery, Earle,Hubley, Cannon, Scribner, Tardekofsky....fuck everyone.

You look at something like Shrek. The sky is blue, the grass is green, the trees are brown, the characters ar allways in the center of the frame. Nothing remotely cartoony or funny about them. Its the dialogue that the movie relies on nowadays to pull it through. they aren't so much cartoons as they are animated features aimed at kids and adults under the pretense of a cartoony film.

Cartoons used to be fun, cute, dangerous(yes, lot's of shit was banned for being pretty fucking wrong back then),

Animators, cahracter designers, back ground artists were given reign to do what they do well, and from the 30's to the 50's it was great.The 60's weren't even particularly great, but it was the last realo good solid time for cartoons before the long lame slump to blandness. Not every cartoon was good, but most held up. At least the immitators had great people to follow. Nowadays, cartoonists aren't really allowed to make features. Regualr dudes get hired to write a script and direct and produce the feature. Not writers or directors mind you. Insurance sales men, and accountants, and consultants who do surveys purposfully rigged to get a certain outcome based on advertisers wants.

Total horseshit.

Here let me show you.

You tell me which is better.

75Ycb_aladdin468.jpg

Alladin. pinks, purples, mauve....the almost perfect symetry of the shot is terrible.It's got no flavor, no soul to it. These are almost the cartoon equivelent to pop stars like Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake.

0ZbXm_hunchback2_1011-1.jpg

Hunchback of Notre Dame. Once again. Garish pinks, purples....symmetry, pop star characters with no soul or flaw

9b23q_Scooby-doo-meddling-kids-1970.jpg

Scooby Doo. I don't want to hear it. I don't give a fuck how old school or nastalgic it makes you feel, Scooby was drawn teeeeeeeeeeribly. Flat, souless. The only difference between Scooby and the two above it, was the available technology and budget. Terrible.

LwruN_tarzan_032.jpg

Tarzan. As much as I would like to like this based off of that guys mustache alone, I can't. It's got the telltale attempt at symmetry. Look at the sky in the back and the airbrush feel of the hair. Come one. Just shoot fucking actors to look like that. it would take less time. Whats point of aniumating it if you aren't going to utilise the bennefists of animation?

Lame.

xc1Ny_shrek_007800.jpg

Shrek.

Ugh. Look at this pile of horse shit. The rock is "rock grey", the ivy is "ivy green". There's nothing good about this unless you admire the way a computer can fake texture of a shirt, but in a comletely souless fashion.

These features all rely on a script written by stand up comedians. Hell even the animation of the faces of the characters are modeled after the facial expressions of the actors who are reading them.

No creativity at all.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOORing. You can like it I guess, or you can like this:

5f8VV_alozzi.jpg

Art Lozzi design for a carton background. Look at all the textures, the personality in the characters...

d4Y3H_cute1.jpg

Hillariously cute and undoubtedly as mischievous as any of the other big budget side characters whom the feature relies on for comic relief.

dQ7P9_fs1.jpg

RY2Hc_fs2.jpg

Look at these two Flintstones stills. There's plenty of rock. Notice how it isn't all one shade of "rock grey" with some shadows? Theres blues, greens, reds, browns...Shit these cartoons were low buget as hell and the designers were just good fucking artists who understood that with just some guache and color theory you could really make something look damn good. Unfortunatley most people took it for granted.

The next bunch are all really good examples of older cartooning and back grounds.

fOO7A_good1.jpg

If the expression on his face doesn't get a chuckle out of you then kill yourself. it's also incredibly well designed, stylised and drawn.

5Nz46_good2.jpg

They don't do much "squash and stretch" in cartoons anymore. It's one of the real perks of cartoons that people just sleep on. You can make shit do things that it can't do in real life.

701Bu_good3.jpg

Argue with me over the awesomeness of this. I dare you.

73yxu_good4.jpg

We've all looked at the "how to draw cartoons" books in bookstores, but seriously, this stuff is amazing. Well drawn simple characters with theory to them.

ObuSn_good5.jpg

To show the less goofy and funny shit can still look damn good and with some mood conveyed by something other than some gay top 40 song written for a 2 hundred year old fable.

tNXT2_good6.jpg

One of the best cartoons ever created. more on this later.

iX3RQ_good7.jpg

Once again, I dare you to argue the awesomeness.

ia8LQ_good8.jpg

Stare at this. It's fucking awesome. You can tell how heavy every jowell, and bulge of fat is...it's fucking awesome.

53u4O_good11.jpg

What fucking color is the goddamn sky? The grass is like five colors, and the dirt on the cliff is greys...not just dirt brown.

Not to mention Yogi is fucking awesome.

cY28b_good12.jpg

Look at the background carefully. How fresh is that shit? All the crazy shit going on, and it was all done by people who knew how to draw the real shit extremely well so there fore they knew where they could take liberties and stylise. The trees have how many colors in them? That boulder is dope. The lion is awesome too. He looks like a cartoon lion.Not some Lion King pseudo real lion rip. It's drawn to fit his surroundings but also the dude who designed him definitely knew how to draw a real fucking lion and didn't just throw a mane on a cat and call it the king of the jungle.

w38Pk_goodbg1.jpg

Everything about this is awesome. You get the feel for how chilli it is, what season it is, how it probably smell in that woodsy area, and guess what? The clouds are fucking pink on a perriwinkle sky. With a teal mountain in the background.

w8c1T_goodbg2.jpg

You don't need a big budget to get great depth, feeling, mood, and texture. Just the ability to not suck.

HeDas_greatbg1111.jpg

This is myfavorite exaple of great backgrounds. Art Lozzi did it for Yogi Bear. Study it. Its just amazing. Again...what color is the sky? Look at the grass..the trees....they aren't ll the same tree color.

Ok enough. I hope you all learned a valuable lesson.

Well, for one..rap would be better if it did. Second its not a fair comparison because the cartoon equivilent of raps Afrika Bambatta would be something like a 30's Fliescher cartoon.

It's really more like saying Modern soul music is terrible and it should still have some motwon in there somewhere. We've lost the Sam Cooke in our cartoons. We've lost the otis Redding. Now all we have is R fucking Kelly.

tNXT2_good6.jpg

HOLY SHIT YES!!!! This short kicked so much ass it's unbelievable. OVER HERE!! NO, OVER HERE!!!!

Awesome post, KOH. I think audiences nowadays simply don't respond to the visual inventiveness and outrageousness of earlier cartoons, it just doesn't seem to strike a chord anymore, since it's already been done... over and over. You posted some fine examples of the era, but the fact is, 90% of cartoons around the time had the same wacky-colored skies, beyond-the-outline-fills, and scruffy pencil textures. The facial expressions, line thicknesses, floppy jowells, they all fit a particular mold that was in vogue for a slightly earlier era, just like the bouncy, round shapes and animated "surprise" lines defined the era of earlier work like The Cobweb Hotel (one of my favorites of all time, no idea how this made it into an old VHS I watched when I was really little).

As awesome and inventive as all this stuff seems nowadays, back in the day, it got to the point where it was stale as well. It was considered cookie-cutter and unimaginative. I know you're a hardline traditionalist, but a lot of people want to see something they haven't seen before on the screen, and CG is currently filling that spot. Sure rock-colored rocks and green moss sounds boring now, but the combination of nearly photorealistic environments/characters and silly cartoon situations was unheard of since recently. The thing is, these tools (CG) opened opened up a world that requires an entirely different kind of storytelling, it becomes less "fantasy" visual and more character/dialogue driven. Standard visual cartoon concepts like hammerspace don't seem to be as attractive in this medium anymore as watching an artificial character behave, talk and emote in a realistic manner. Case in point:

madagascar_052705_big.jpg

You'll probably disagree with me here, but that's straight up old school character design, with the swirly nostrils and distorted proportions. The lion even looks like your homey up there chillin'. As a matter of fact, that entire movie was a homage to old-style animation, very slapsticky, very visual. There was even a moment where the lion is hungry, and he looks around and everyone turns into a little steak with legs. Really old-style cartoon humor. And yet the movie felt flat... it really tried to mesh the older visual flair with modern feature-length characterization and storytelling and it just didn't work.

Simply put, modern CG animation has a much heavier emphasis on writing and less on visual wackyness. Is it any better or worse? I don't know. I like both for different reasons.

Shrek 3, however, was pretty fucking wretched. It wrung a few laughs here and there with little background details, but most of it failed so hard it was painful (ie: switching the donkey's and the cat's personalities). The funniest scene by far was simply just a little bit of marvelous, straight-up good animation: the frog king's death. I don't know if they mapped an actor's expressions onto the frog (I seriously doubt it), but the end result is just a brilliant piece of expressive animation.

I don't actually have anything against CG or NOT doing things in the traditionalist way. I even like a few Anime series. What I'm saying is there is a general lack of inventiveness in most of the animation nowadays. That's not to sa it's all bad, but for the most part it's people flexing tech dick all over something without good theory and great personality. It's more about who is speaking the voices and what the computer can do for you as opposed to extremely entertaingin to watch all the way through. The shot up there..I saw that movie and laughed a bunch. The zebra and the hippo and the lion are pulls from the disney vault. Thats all. They just did them in CG. The lion looks like it could have been in the Lion King it's just a little les serious. The giraffe is another story altogether. Drawn great. But this scene up there is about the punchline. Not about how fun it is to watch. Once again I think its more about the cocky quirky script.

There is CG, Anime, and hand drawn cartooning that I love that is current. That doesn't mean I think were in a good place for cartoons. I just think the industry is run by douchebags now. Not animators.

As far as things being stale back then, I know. I'm not saying people need to do that style again, but they should have that same theory when they do other work. I don't want every cartoon to be a Clampett rip or a Blair, or Cannon rip. I reeeealy don't want that especially since just about every good cartoon on the cartoon network is exactly that. i just want to see more home grown inventiveness and master craftsmanship, and until the animators are given back their rightfull place in charge of the features, it will suffer.

5f8VV_alozzi.jpg

Art Lozzi design for a carton background. Look at all the textures, the personality in the characters...

d4Y3H_cute1.jpg

Hillariously cute and undoubtedly as mischievous as any of the other big budget side characters whom the feature relies on for comic relief.

dQ7P9_fs1.jpg

RY2Hc_fs2.jpg

Look at these two Flintstones stills. There's plenty of rock. Notice how it isn't all one shade of "rock grey" with some shadows? Theres blues, greens, reds, browns...Shit these cartoons were low buget as hell and the designers were just good fucking artists who understood that with just some guache and color theory you could really make something look damn good. Unfortunatley most people took it for granted.

The next bunch are all really good examples of older cartooning and back grounds.

fOO7A_good1.jpg

If the expression on his face doesn't get a chuckle out of you then kill yourself. it's also incredibly well designed, stylised and drawn.

5Nz46_good2.jpg

They don't do much "squash and stretch" in cartoons anymore. It's one of the real perks of cartoons that people just sleep on. You can make shit do things that it can't do in real life.

701Bu_good3.jpg

Argue with me over the awesomeness of this. I dare you.

73yxu_good4.jpg

We've all looked at the "how to draw cartoons" books in bookstores, but seriously, this stuff is amazing. Well drawn simple characters with theory to them.

ObuSn_good5.jpg

To show the less goofy and funny shit can still look damn good and with some mood conveyed by something other than some gay top 40 song written for a 2 hundred year old fable.

tNXT2_good6.jpg

iX3RQ_good7.jpg

Once again, I dare you to argue the awesomeness.

ia8LQ_good8.jpg

Stare at this. It's fucking awesome. You can tell how heavy every jowell, and bulge of fat is...it's fucking awesome.

53u4O_good11.jpg

What fucking color is the goddamn sky? The grass is like five colors, and the dirt on the cliff is greys...not just dirt brown.

Not to mention Yogi is fucking awesome.

cY28b_good12.jpg

Look at the background carefully. How fresh is that shit? All the crazy shit going on, and it was all done by people who knew how to draw the real shit extremely well so there fore they knew where they could take liberties and stylise. The trees have how many colors in them? That boulder is dope. The lion is awesome too. He looks like a cartoon lion.Not some Lion King pseudo real lion rip. It's drawn to fit his surroundings but also the dude who designed him definitely knew how to draw a real fucking lion and didn't just throw a mane on a cat and call it the king of the jungle.

w38Pk_goodbg1.jpg

Everything about this is awesome. You get the feel for how chilli it is, what season it is, how it probably smell in that woodsy area, and guess what? The clouds are fucking pink on a perriwinkle sky. With a teal mountain in the background.

w8c1T_goodbg2.jpg

You don't need a big budget to get great depth, feeling, mood, and texture. Just the ability to not suck.

HeDas_greatbg1111.jpg

This is myfavorite exaple of great backgrounds. Art Lozzi did it for Yogi Bear. Study it. Its just amazing. Again...what color is the sky? Look at the grass..the trees....they aren't ll the same tree color.

Ok enough. I hope you all learned a valuable lesson.

seems to me like you're just a guy who has been plauged with nostalgia, grow up...things change and for your information, tarzan was a dope movie with good visuals, as well as aladdin, as well as hunchback of notre dame. and screw you on the scooby doo tip bra. Best show to watch while blazing up.:lol: (why this pissed me off, i dunno,but it did)

If you bothered to read my posts it's not about being plugged up with nostalgia. it's about looking for a level craftsmanship that has gone. Like so many things quality is gone in favor of quantity. You don't see mast house builders so much anymore, because new houses are generally kits.

If I was just "plugged up" wioth nostalgia i wouldn't me paking individual points on every picture I posted to defend my well thought out opinion.

Scooby Doo was funny, but drawn badly. Fact. Tarzan had terrible visuals, and the gay pseudo skate boarding on the vines shit was a cheap play at attracting a hipper aduience.

IAlso had you read my posts you would note that I did say I didn't hate everything new, and that I even like some CG, and Anime. Which are so not nastalgic or traditional. Grow up? I didn't realise having an educated opinion meant I was childish. I would have thought calling me "Bra" and telling me to screw because scooby doo is the best thing to watch while "blazin up" would fall more into the "Grow up" catagory.

Fucking Nerd.