UNITED 93

^BANNED^

you're talking about real estate.

i'm talking about some asshole making a dramatic reconstuction of events from phone calls.

...aaaand?

It's still money being made off tragedy. I really don't see how this is in any way any less of a memorial simply because somebody is making money off it. And I don't think this is really gonna make all that much money anyways. It was beaten out by fucking "RV".

Has anybody even bothered to read about how this film was made? Or how apparently it is fucking excellent, respectful, and completely devoid of melodrama, politics, or blatant appeals to mainstream sentiments? Everybody is making this out to be a fucking Bruckheimer actionfest.

Has anybody even realized that Hollywood couldn't give any less of a shit about making the government look good?

I really don't mean to be sucking this movie's dick, but I really think a lot of you people are being a little too quick to judge.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ask again... are developers not getting rich off building the WTC memorial in NY? Are you against that as well?

To play devil's advocate:

Movies are made specifically FOR an audience, they rely on the relationship between the object (movie) and the viewer to exist, and thats how they make their money. The sculpture is made in memory of those who died, and exists for them and for their memory, it does not NEED an audience and is not created geared specifically towards that relationship. I mean, of course, both with generate revenue, but the movie is a more commercial blatant means of doing so. (But if you really think about it, they arent different at all. Like I said, devils advocate)

That probably didnt make sense

To play devil's advocate:

Movies are made specifically FOR an audience, they rely on the relationship between the object (movie) and the viewer to exist, and thats how they make their money. The sculpture is made in memory of those who died, and exists for them and for their memory, it does not NEED an audience and is not created geared specifically towards that relationship. I mean, of course, both with generate revenue, but the movie is a more commercial blatant means of doing so. (But if you really think about it, they arent different at all. Like I said, devils advocate)

That probably didnt make sense

buildings are made specifically for people to occupy

shit is going to get built on top of the site where the shit went down.

and it is all going to be rented out for revenue.

no one is worried about whether or not that empty field in PA will get shit built on it, the land isn't really WORTH much

however, they were all over the vacated space in lower manhattan

why? it is some of the most VALUABLE REAL ESTATE in the fucking world.

i am not into the concept of this movie

and i don't need empathy force fed to me

hence i will skip this movie

but i'm not surprsied or upset

it was only a matter of time.

they showed this united 93 on A&E a couple nights ago. i thought this was just in theaters.

if you saw that, you will miss nothing by seeing the movie,, the documentary was a lot better.

that google video makes you rethink everything.

buildings are made specifically for people to occupy

shit is going to get built on top of the site where the shit went down.

and it is all going to be rented out for revenue.

no one is worried about whether or not that empty field in PA will get shit built on it, the land isn't really WORTH much

however, they were all over the vacated space in lower manhattan

why? it is some of the most VALUABLE REAL ESTATE in the fucking world.

i am not into the concept of this movie

and i don't need empathy force fed to me

hence i will skip this movie

but i'm not surprsied or upset

it was only a matter of time.

oh. for some reason I thought the memorial was some "building of lights" and wasnt actually a building at all.

ah yes, that kind. .

I assume that i just do not understand what you mean.

I saw it the other day, it is pretty intense and sad,

it got mad quiet when the plane hit the ground and the screen turned black, you could hear if someone was chewing gum.

If the reason for not watching is not wanting to relive such a horrible experience, and so soon at that, then I totally respect that. This was one of the most intense and difficult things I've ever sat down and watched.

My qualms are with those that refuse to see it because they think it's propaganda/oportunism.

I lived in Texas when all that went down back in 01,and not that much changed there, but when I moved to Virginia, people are still traumitized by it. It was interesting seeing how 911 really hit home here. I don't believe everything that happened that day was on the up and up, but I also think that people that were already a little antibush and antidemocracy went crazy when they learned there could be a hint of doubt within all the events that occured on sept 11. I agree that I have problems with people who think this is propaganda. But I think it's a little more simplified than those people are making it all out to be. I think it is just a movie company capatilizing on tragedy. It is what they do best.

I lived in Texas when all that went down back in 01' date='and not that much changed there, but when I moved to Virginia, people are still traumitized by it. It was interesting seeing how 911 really hit home here. I don't believe everything that happened that day was on the up and up, but I also think that people that were already a little antibush and antidemocracy went crazy when they learned there could be a hint of doubt within all the events that occured on sept 11. I agree that I have problems with people who think this is propaganda. But I think it's a little more simplified than those people are making it all out to be. I think it is just a movie company capatilizing on tragedy. It is what they do best.[/quote']

propoganda....shit people sometimes dont even believe this happened! you dont know how BIG a 16 acre hole is in the middle of Manhattan till you see it...

^^ I saw that hole in the summer of 2002, I couldn't believe my eyes. I've been to New York many times and up to the top of the buildings at least twice, it was unbelievable looking at that perfect, humongous empty square.

If the reason for not watching is not wanting to relive such a horrible experience, and so soon at that, then I totally respect that. This was one of the most intense and difficult things I've ever sat down and watched.

My qualms are with those that refuse to see it because they think it's propaganda/oportunism.

That's a big reason for me and it ties into the opportunism thing. It's something that was so terrible, enough for me to never forget (ergh) it and I would feel indecent if I were to go and watch this in the theaters with adverts and popcorn and people with their cellphones ringing. Just the thought of that makes me scowl. For some people, it's different, but it's not something I could do. Maybe once it's out on DVD, I'll watch it eventually.

I ran Bloody Sunday when I was a projectionist and it shocked the hell out of me, Greengrass is talented and I felt that the movie conveyed that emotional distress of that day very well. But it was also thirty years after the fact, and I've never even been to Ireland and it still tore me to pieces. I just feel like watching this would be too much and too soon, regardless of how well done it is. I would think that there are people in Ireland who feel the same way about "Bloody Sunday", although that was a movie that was independant of the American film business and I don't think that the sliminess of Hollywood would apply to that scenario. I wonder if they picked Greengrass for United 93 because of his possible objectivity from being from the UK. You say it's brutally real and I think that sort of concept would not come out of most American big-budget directors. Imagine Ron Howard, Speilberg, Landis, Zemeckis, any of the shlock-masters doing this.

Greengrass is set to do a Vietnam piece about the college protest movements, I'm interested in that and kind of dissapointed that he's doing another Bourne movie instead of working with fresh material. Not nearly close to the level of anticipation I have for Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson's return to original works. I can't fathom the awesomeness of either one of them doing a big-budget splatterpunk piece that sees wide release in theaters.

That's a big reason for me and it ties into the opportunism thing. It's something that was so terrible' date=' enough for me to never forget (ergh) it and I would feel indecent if I were to go and watch this in the theaters with adverts and popcorn and people with their cellphones ringing. Just the thought of that makes me scowl. For some people, it's different, but it's not something I could do. Maybe once it's out on DVD, I'll watch it eventually.[/quote']

You know what's funny, I'm in the world capital of theater obnoxiousness... Puerto Rico. You reeeeally have to select the time to watch a movie and the theater to avoid quite possibly the worst crowds in the history of cinema.

This one started with cell phones ringing and shit, there was even a couple that brought in 2 children under the age of 5 (that shit makes me so fucking mad it's not even funny). After the opening credits alone, the theater was silent. When the credits rolled by, you could hear a pin drop. It took a full minute before people stood up to leae in complete silence.

I think Greengrass was a perfect choice for this. I think there's only one instance of an artistic "statement" that I felt was out of place (juxtaposition of passengers and hijackers praying at the same time). Any big-name director would have blown this. Even though I liked "Munich", a similar treatment in this case would have been ridiculously awful.

the first time i went back to manhattan after 9.11

i started crying as soon as i saw the hole in the skyline

and didn't stop until a traffic cop had to help me find my way (me getting lost in nyc?! never happened before that, never happened after that)

i guess the movie is good if it brings that kind of pain home to people who haven't experienced it yet (in the context of the attacks)

You know what's funny, I'm in the world capital of theater obnoxiousness... Puerto Rico. You reeeeally have to select the time to watch a movie and the theater to avoid quite possibly the worst crowds in the history of cinema.

This one started with cell phones ringing and shit, there was even a couple that brought in 2 children under the age of 5 (that shit makes me so fucking mad it's not even funny). After the opening credits alone, the theater was silent. When the credits rolled by, you could hear a pin drop. It took a full minute before people stood up to leae in complete silence.

That's insane, I sometimes think about what going to the cinema in certain countries is like. I feel like out in the countrysides in France, the one theater is probably full of respectful and quiet people and you can smoke in them, everyone with a solumn face watching the pictures. There's a guy who's worked in the booth for over 15 years at the one that I worked in. He used to go to different countries and bring back ticket stubs and pictures of the theaters he went to when he had his week of vacation. Some of them looked exactly like they would fit that scenario, out in the middle of nowhere.

Where I worked in MA, it was about 5 or 6 miles miles outside of Boston but not easily accessable by train or bus. It was an arthouse with 6 sceens and we generally courted the older crowd, late 30's to late 80's. When I started, people were pretty quiet and respectful, and as four years went by they started to become more and more noisy and disrespectful, until it got to the point where every time I sat in on the film there was always a couple that was talking, even when there was only two people in the theater aside from me. I dropped the job because I thought I was moving, only to have things go to shit at the last second and I wound up staying here. I still get these intense urges to go and lace up films, I could get six screens on three different floors laced and running within 5-10 minutes. I had to because I'd show up 15 minutes late for a 13 hour shift and would have seconds before the show started. "Cinema Paradiso", for me, is like the equivelant of "Titanic" for horny, fourteen-year-old girls from late spring of 1998.

Archived